Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Marching Armies?  (Read 14982 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marching Armies?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:03 am »

Spacefox, spacefox all the way, just like my screenies. :D

XD  How do you mean? Like all 8-bit like?

And yeah I bounce back and forth betwene Tartakovsky and something more disney like.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 10:22:41 am »

https://github.com/fricy/Spacefox

I love Samurai Jack, but spacefox dorfs are wonderful.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »

Update!

I was slaughtering sleeping campers around a dark fortress... lots of campers...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So many freaking campers... anyways, then I bumped into an asterisk which triggered an ambush... a very busy ambush...

Things got weird fast, so at this point I decided to watch and see what happens since I've never seen this gob before, and the last automatic-ally status I saw was when I saved a human from a necromancer army attacking a town:

I noticed a couple of asterisks spinning around in what was pretty clearly an active skirmish:

I got those shots just by taking a step back and forth in travel mode, so you can imagine they were whirling around pretty quickly.

When I got closer I bumped into them and didn't do anything at all besides advance time some and take screenshots:

Afterwards I noticed them start to spread out and caught what is pretty clearly a retreat:

So, there ya go, skirmishing armies, at least three different civs involved from checking the civ_id in gm-editor, only one of them intermittently gave me ally status after attacking a different one, though it went away when I killed another gob next to them, not as persistent as it is during a zombie assault I guess, still fascinating to watch!

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:31 pm »

Update!

I was slaughtering sleeping campers around a dark fortress... lots of campers...
So many freaking campers... anyways, then I bumped into an asterisk which triggered an ambush... a very busy ambush...

Things got weird fast, so at this point I decided to watch and see what happens since I've never seen this gob before, and the last automatic-ally status I saw was when I saved a human from a necromancer army attacking a town:

I noticed a couple of asterisks spinning around in what was pretty clearly an active skirmish:

I got those shots just by taking a step back and forth in travel mode, so you can imagine they were whirling around pretty quickly.

When I got closer I bumped into them and didn't do anything at all besides advance time some and take screenshots:

Afterwards I noticed them start to spread out and caught what is pretty clearly a retreat:

So, there ya go, skirmishing armies, at least three different civs involved from checking the civ_id in gm-editor, only one of them intermittently gave me ally status after attacking a different one, though it went away when I killed another gob next to them, not as persistent as it is during a zombie assault I guess, still fascinating to watch!

This is why I think adv mode is cooler than fort mode.

Why should I try to build a fortress when I can become the legendary hero who saved thousands of people from the Crazed Conflict by killing all the enemy soldiers?

I remember when I visited a human civ that was being attacked by goblins since the beginning of time.The goblins had built so many trenches in a town that the town itself had transformed into a dark pit.The local bone carver even started to make figurines of the goblin overlord....
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »

You should try to build a fortress to train adventurers, provide caches of equipment for them, offer safe havens for them to rest at in between campaigns, allies to recruit, and a home to defend.

Plus you can do stuff like force strange moods and deck yourself out in what is literally the best armor in the world, and if you work at it you can even get another dorf to engrave images of you on your own armor!

About the armor with engravings of you on it, it is as cool as it sounds, but you'll probably be surrounded by lizards and looking terrified, as dorfs is jerks, and you know what they say about inevitability.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:29:19 pm by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:16 am »

Another update, I forgot to see how it shows up and hadn't been doing much telling people about my deeds since I already knew who to ask about troubles and such and didn't need to grab companions since the bogies are smart enough to leave me alone, but when I returned home and found mom and dad I told them about my journeys and noticed some interesting options which confirmed the multi-side nature of the battles I had seen:

The gob listed there, Smunstu Ruthlesswealthy, I think that is the one who was listed as an ally and I guess they introduced themselves, but I never actually met them myself, but yeah, looks like there were five different sides involved there, not counting me and my human companion who ran kept running off and got lost in the pits south of us, probably because HIS civ was at war with one of those five while mine wasn't, explaining why they went for him/spooked him and ignored me.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:02 pm »

I find it amazing that dwarf fortress can simulate this, and that the player can influence it like this, (saving people by leading them to safety rather than just killing the encroaching army). Its a shame that your actions won't be recorded in legends mode. That's the sort of thing that groups of people remember.

Also, do married adventures eventually have babies like regular npcs? Starting your own bloodline sounds really cool, assuming your kids/grandkids aren't killed or kidnapped before they grow up.
yee you can have babies yee.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 07:36:20 pm »

I've never encountered an army on the march.
Although, to be fair, I've never looked for one either.
Do they show up in significant numbers?
(By "significant", I mean, "too many to stab them all to death in their sleep in one night.")
Regards,
Dampe

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43:15 pm »

Gar Legendbreaker has something like 1500 kills, most of them are from hacking away at armies caught camping.

Also: I found a squad from my own side en route to a battle and they weren't actually my companions but they did follow me like an ambush or lost companions do so I was able to lead them to a site and drop them next to the big tower using the "fast travel through from the west" trick. It was surprisingly cool.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 08:16:02 am »

Usually those "army on the march" rumors are stale, they're over by the time you hear them. But I've come across some in fast travel, I got ambushed by people who weren't even hostile. Ask them their profession and they'll tell you the name of their commander. Sometimes they're hostile for no reason I can discern. I've never made any attempt to intercept an army on the march, but it's probably doable.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 09:16:09 am »

What you can do too, if you know that an army is coming (that it's actually there):
Recruit the townspeople (for the purpose of rescuing them - at least they shall believe this) and then travel to the army.
Had some nice battles, even if the majority of the peasants tried to run away.
Arrows are faster.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:27:01 am by SaD-82 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:56 am »

Oh god I never even thought of trying that when rescuing people...

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

Oh god I never even thought of trying that when rescuing people...

Suddenly, I don't know if I should feel honoured or ashamed.
Better not telling what I do with those kids which I always find in these nice towers...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 06:22:05 pm »

When my retired fort came under attack, I create an adventurer to fight the battle, but it was already over. And it took place far, far away. The fort is in the far SW of a large region, the attacking civ is in the far NE corner, and the battle happened in the far NW corner.

I rescued the captain of the guard because I thought it would be good to have fire support, but he was cave adapted, so he just stayed puking sick. I brought him back and retired after I gained the name "Roadfog".

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »

Yeah, I had one of my longer lived forts go through a siege while I was trying to get back and catch it... apparently some humans attacked (don't know why, at war with gobs, not them) and one human was killed by a peafowl, a bull, and a donkey which was later killed by the human... not sure what order those take place in, but the southern end of the embark is resurrecting so there isn't much surprise about these things happening... inevitable one might say... but I did find a neat little skirmish at the edge of a dark fortress and after snapping some screenies and watching them fight for a bit I moved in to the tower and killed the monkey demon up top before asking the dorf lord there about troubles, he said there was an insurrection taking place.

This is an insurrection?

For those not used to the CLA graphics, that is indeed four sasquatches  (sasquatchoi? sasquootches?) mixed in with the assorted dorfs, elves, humans, and goblins. No I don't have a clue what they were doing there.
Pages: 1 [2]