- 21 (24.1%)
Other
- 14 (16.1%)
Both! It changes!
- 15 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: April 02, 2015, 10:16:30 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What color is the dress? [Poll]  (Read 7483 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What color is the dress? [Poll]
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:16:30 pm »

Well, you probably all know about the dress by now, so here is a poll to figure out how many of us see which colors.

Here is the pic: http://i.imgur.com/9VWYggm.jpg

The dress is in fact blue and black, but it seems to be on some perfect border that makes people see it differently. I personally see black and blue, but there was a moment that I saw white and gold in a video, and then watched it slowly turn black and blue. Thinking they were messing with me, I rewound the video, only to see blue and black. I cannot trick my brain into seeing white and gold again.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What color is the dress? [Poll]
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:19:22 pm »

Blue and gold/dried-blood-brown.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:21:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:02:37 pm by penguinofhonor »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »

man no wonder women take so long to get dress when their clothes change colours and shit

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »

Why is this still a thing

Because no one can explain it! People have thrown out hundreds of explanations, but not have actually been demonstrated as working. I can't even think of a comparable situation.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:08 pm »

I can think of a comparable situation (and it's a better illustration imo):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »

Great. Bay-12's infected by the dress now.

* Itnetlolor prepares his flamethrower.

From a design perspective, and applying my color-correction techniques (standard procedure), it's blue and black. End of discussion.

Additionally, it's backlit (actually, more of an overhead lighting), and still the same colors.

EDIT:

Good, got the edit in before the inevitable lockdown. Though, now I think about it, it's more a green and red.

EDIT EDIT:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:21:57 am by Itnetlolor »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:39:01 pm »

The only thing I can see is white and gold. I know its not, but I cannot perceive it in that image in any other way.

I don't know how that illusion applies. If I remove the background and just take a strip of the dress in both images (the other being the image that shows it as blue and black), they still look like two different coloured dresses to me :-\
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:08 pm »

Nope, people have altered the light around the dress but it does not work, and I personally saw the dress change color as I was watching it. It is NOT the surrounding light, might not even have anything to do with perception.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:53 am »

* Iceblaster doesn't understand this trend.

Also, white and gold.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 02:02:10 am »

Nope, people have altered the light around the dress but it does not work, and I personally saw the dress change color as I was watching it. It is NOT the surrounding light, might not even have anything to do with perception.
It is the light. It's quite simply, your eyes chromatic balancing adjusting for daylight, and erroneously interpreting this picture.

http://xkcd.com/1492/

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:06:25 am by 10ebbor10 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:12:14 am »

man no wonder women take so long to get dress when their clothes change colours and shit
First of all, sigging this.
Second of all, the color of the dress is fabric. There, done.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:55 am »

It is the light. It's quite simply, your eyes chromatic balancing adjusting for daylight, and erroneously interpreting this picture.

http://xkcd.com/1492/

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

No, you don't get to post a comic and call that evidence that it's the light. I have surrounded the dress in that blue color and I still see blue and black. I have seen the color change in real time without any lighting changes. You are wrong, plain and simple.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:31:13 am »

No, you don't get to post a comic and call that evidence that it's the light. I have surrounded the dress in that blue color and I still see blue and black. I have seen the color change in real time without any lighting changes. You are wrong, plain and simple.

You, sadly, do not get to act condensing while you're denying reality. I mean, in the OP you mention seeing a video where you saw the dress changing, and guess what it did, it changed the background chromatic saturation.

I mean, you see that xkcd picture right? Both of the drawn dresses are the same colour, so unless you see them on both sides as the same, I consider my argument proven. It might not always work with the actual dresses, because your brain will try to maintain consistency of detail before giving up at seemingly random moments. The actual mechanic is described in the article.

Because no one can explain it! People have thrown out hundreds of explanations, but not have actually been demonstrated as working. I can't even think of a comparable situation.
This is thus, factually and completely wrong.

The correct statement, is that you don't want to accept any explanation. Feel free to go on and believe, but don't try convince others without something approaching actual evidence.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:09:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 02:57:01 am »

Because some  people have an interest in perception & the fact that things aren't always as they appear? Or the fact that 2 different people will swear black & blue that something simply is 1 way or another,  then get worked up when the other person disagrees? Can see how the discussion irritates people when it's taking up the WTF thread, but here it has it's own thread.

I see blue/black but the "black" is a kinda dark greeny-brown.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5