Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you limit what materials a weapon can be made of?  (Read 814 times)

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can you limit what materials a weapon can be made of?
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »

I am working on adding katanas, and I am wondering if I can make it so that you have to make it out of the folded steel metal that I added.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: can you limit what materials a weapon can be made of?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:36 pm »

You can't limit what materials an item is made out of when you give a civilization access to it through [WEAPON:ITEM_KATANA] or anything, but you can limit materials by making it only available through custom reactions. It would also be more realistic to how katanas are actually made (maybe, I'm not an expert on katanas) because I don't think the metal is folded and then made into a katana, I think it's folded directly into a katana shape. I might be wrong though. Whether or not it's like that it can be made to either be made from pig iron directly or have a seperate pig iron folding reaction, and it will limit the materials available for it to be made out of. There is a limitation in that only your fortress will produce them. You won't find them using them if they're attacking you, selling them to you in caravans, or storing them in mead halls in adventurer mode. If they're not supposed to be playable you'll just need to go with the [WEAPON:ITEM_KATANA] method, but if they're playable then you have some options. If they're not playable then you could also restrict their access to metals by removing the ore smelting job and then giving them a reaction to make whatever material you want to use and they'll have infinite amounts of that and no other metals so they'll only use that. That however has some other problems with it meaning that everything will be made out of that so if they make armor it will be made out of that, or if they have any non-katana weapons they'll be made out of that. Basically there's no way to do it perfectly, but there's a lot of ways to do it imperfectly.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:46 pm »

Thanks. I didn't know you could make weapons using reactions. One question though, how do I stop them from making it out of anything else.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:11 am »

>>  One question though, how do I stop them from making it out of anything else.

Like vjmdhzgr said, if you don't give the entity access by default to the weapon, it will only be available through custom reactions. 

You can set up your custom reaction to only accept your special metal, then you're all set.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:27:19 am »

Thanks for clarifying, that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:40 am »

Sure.  If you think that you might learn reaction modding better from examples than from the wiki, consider reverse engineering some finished mods.  Most of the big total-conversion type mods have custom weapon workshops of some kind.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:52:02 am »

Thanks, I think I will just remove folded steel until I figure out how to make it more realistic.