Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Zustashigėr  (Read 16534 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zustashigėr
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

Also written Zustashiger, this is a story-telling thread similar to Dreadfang's Dream Flame, except I'm not programming a game with the story, and there aren't many rules.

The setting is Zustashiger, meaning Ancient River in Dwarven. Whatever you do, the story must not leave this area. Meaning, creatures and things can leave, but until they return they cannot be written about. It is a wide, green valley with a flowing river in the center. It's about 2 miles around. At the start the majority of the land is rich meadows and thin forestry, and it is heavily populated by animals. Here are the details:

The area is quiet.
The river is unnaturally clouded, but not by dirt.
Plant life is light, and only weeds and gnarled shrubs grow. The soil is gray and infertile.
Animal life is sparse due to lack of plants.
Air is dark but clean.
Gravity and physics are that of Earth. (Or Dwarf Fortress)
The notable creatures are: Some scraggly wolves, and an occasional small animal. Sometimes evil creatures roam the soil, dark gnomes, kobolds, worgs. All the creatures are extremely thin and weak, most of them will kill anything for food.

Red's Tower
There is a fortress and tower in the south part of Zutashiger, many slave-workers live there. It is ruled by RED, a powerful construct of metal, hydra and Teeth flesh. A feast is being prepared there. A group of reakers are carrying the bronze statue back to the village with an apology. They are also carrying a huge barrel of ale.

A kobold, Kutarlin Az, has stolen a powerful soul-stone from RED's fortress and has gained RED's mental powers.

There is a group of dwarves living in ancient halls underground. They have begun to breed dogs and are mining. They could be regarded as an outpost. They are angered with the village.
There is at least one giant toad-like creature in the dwarven fortress.

There is a village in the heart of the valley, many human citizens live there. There are large farms in the community. The people are weak, however. Their skin is pale from the overshadowing clouds clutching the sunlight. Their eyes are sunken and sickness is common. They are angered with the fortress.

I stress you to keep posts on-topic, and if you have to say something out of topic mark it with OOC.

Write whatever you want! Feel free to add characters and creatures, describe their actions, and interact with other writer's creations. Have fun!
PS: I will be writing in this too sometimes.

Stats:
Writers: 6
Restarts: 1

*Edits erased once in a while*

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zustashigėr
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Over the hills a loud rumbling racket can be heard. Suddently a large weagon comes into view, followed by another, and another, and another, all pulled by oxen. At first glance they appear to have no driver, but closer examination reveals small stocky humanoids with bushy beards sitting at the reins. As the three wagons rumble down into the valley they begin to slow. On the side of the wagons some runes can be seen. To those skilled in the art of language it appears to read 'NPI'. Various animals are frightened by the sight and flee as the wagons stop near the river. The drivers get down from the wagons and more come from inside. Soon a large gathering of these strange humanoids have gathered, wearing their yellow helmets and pointing at bits of paper while yelling.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

OOC: In the beginning I will write quite a bit probably because Dark and I are the only ones who were in the last thread.

The humanoids begin to dig downward tunnels around the land. The animals are spooked and move farther away. One of the dwarves walks over and sits by the river, fishing. He sees something in the water, a dark figure, and he throws a rock at at it. Suddenly a shadow jumps out and latches onto his arm. "Looks like we have carp, folks." Says the apparent leader of the humanoids. The fisher manages to fling the carp back into the flowing waters, but he bears a nasty gash in his arm.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

The elven druid observes the humanoids from the top of a tree, careful not to be seen, "Dwarves!" he curses.
Then he goes to tell the community, leaping from treetop to treetop.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

A few humanoids (we could call them dwarves!) come out of the tunnels carrying axes. They move to the nearest tree and begin chopping it down. Soon it falls and they move onto another. A few other humanoids (lets call them dwarves!) come out of the tunnels now and begin dragging the felled trees into the tunnels. The process continues until 20 trees have been felled. Meanwhile it appears a large pile of stone blocks is building up outside one of the tunnels. What could these pesky dwarves be up to?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

On the other side of the river (other side from the dwarves), a human appears, in black and white garments. He sits down, a few yards away from the river (in plain sight of the dwarves) and pulls out a flute. He plays for a while, when suddenly a log shoots out from one of the dwarves' tunnels and lands in front of the man. One of the dwarven woodcutter's axes flies away and chops up the log, before returning to the dwarves' hands. The dwarf is surprised, but continues to chop. The chopped wood ignites as the human plays his flute, and he stops playing to warm himself infront of the fire.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

(You just invented(?) a brilliant magic system!  :D)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>(You just invented(?) a brilliant magic system!   :)

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

Another group of dwarves exit the tunnel. They were carrying a strange, long and hollow, drill type pipe carved skillfully out of nothing but rock. Another group rallied the oxen together. The dwarves and the oxen then gathered a short distance away from the entrance tunnels. The dwarves huffed and puffed to raise the pipe to a verticle position. Large holes were knocked into the pipe at the oxens shoulder height. The dwarves gathered up a large and sturdy looking branch and threaded it through the holes. They then tied the oxen up to the branch and set them walking in circles. Slowly the pipe sank into the earth, but eventually the branch broke as the holes were below the shoulder height of the oxen. The dwarves made new holes and threaded another sturdy branch through and repeated the process. They continued this process, breaking dozens of branches until finally the pipe hit something hard and stopped moving.

Various dwarves came out of the tunnels and started speaking with the drillers. Finally they left and more dwarves came back to start building supports for the pipe. Suddently the pipe started rising out of the ground by itself, though the dwarves didnt seem to take notice and continued building. After the pipe had risen two meters it stopped. A few minutes later the supports were finished and the pipe was secured in place.

By this point the stars were out, as the task was long and grueling. The tired dwarves led their oxen back to the tunnels. On their way they passed the pile of stone blocks. It had grown in size since the daytime.

(OOC: for those wondering about the pile of stone blocks, it's very near one of the tunnels and dwarfs were carrying blocks up there the whole time, I just didnt mention it for narative purposes or something!)

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

From his hollow under the old cyprus tree (It touches the river but is only is within sight of the dwarves tunnel) Dreadfang (The Changling) sees the hard labors of the stout dwarves, the large alluring pile of bricks, having never owned a brick he wanted one badly. Waiting till dark when he wouldn't be seen, he crept to the pile with an (to him) equal exchange, a solid gold chunk(as in a sizable peice). "I hope they will not miss the brick, as I will not miss the worthless lump of hard-rock, and shall they want it I will dishearten'dly give it back willingly," Dreadfang voiced to himself when replacing the brick. Crawling into his hollow he began stroking lovingly this worked treasure.

(OOC:Dreadfang is a changling, and as such has never made anything or used a tool of any fashion, to eat, wear, sleep on, or or use as weapon. and since you cant use gold as any of those in its unworked form it is just a hard-rock through which to dig his home.  Also his hollow is as low as the trees roots go and as high as the center of the tree's heart. If you want a comparitive think how a mole or prairi dog digs its home. He can speak all tongues, learn how to use tools and even to protect and serve. He dosnt care for worth and can change form to any creature or person he's seen and imitate it perfectly, and dont try to destroy his hollow for any reason, hes met with dragons and can deal incinerating heat to any attackers. If your post includes him please message/email me, it should be on my profile.

Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

During the night, smoke starts to erupt from the erect pipe, billowing thickly up into the sky. Nothing else seems to occur and slowly the sun starts to rise. The fisherdwarf who had not seen any more carp the previous day, came out of the tunnel to get an early start when he noticed the gleaming chunk of gold. His jaw dropped open and he dropped his fishing rod, grabbed the gold chunk and ran back inside the tunnel. Slowly all the dwarves were woken up and shown the gleaming gold, each gasping in turn. The dwarves didnt emerge from the tunnel that day, they seemed to be debating the gold, while a steady stream of smoke continued to rise from the pipe.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

Dreadfang having seen the uproar of the dwarves over, what he thaught was their missing brick, and the what he thaught they considered unworthy trade, desided that he should give more hard-rock(What dwarves would call gold) in exchange since he had more then enough of the useless matter. "I hope this will compensate them" he said grabbing a 'small' solid rock of gold about the size of bolling ball from a loose-ly packed filler tunnel(tunnel to put removed dirt)and hauling it to his enterance in the still dark surroundings. Having tired himself out while pulling the heavy hard-rock about 1/5 mile and unto the now very tall pile of bricks, he desided to take a short rest and spotted the abandoned fishing rod, wondering what it was (mostly what kind of plant grows into it) he desided to have a further look at it so he 'borrowed' it hoping that the "Small hairy faced things"(that one can consider a dwarf) would not be spiteful for its temperary loss. Crawling back into his hollow his thaughts were filled with 'I wonders'.

(OOC:For expressed definition a changling is a creature that can change shape at will as a chameleon changes color, generaly not evil(Depends of genotype) mostly just ignorant of alignments, in its true form it is much like a dwarf but with no hair/beards razor-sharp teeth and claws (that also act like digging tools) and the apperence of lifelessness and twistedness in its hide and flesh, its entire body is of the toughness unrivaled by armor and teeth and claws like that of adamantium weapons, their mating habits are strange and require a seperate host(such as a dwarf)to carry the child and raise it to maturity when it 'leaves' before dropping its mask of the host's race, since female changlings dont possess any traditional 'baby making' stuff she passes the egg to the male for 'stealthed'(WINK)'insemination'(WINK). Changlings are an off branch of primitive dwarven ancestry shared with trogladites, rock giants, and more close-ly to shape-shifters and molemen:ENDOOC)

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: DreaDFanG ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

The whole dwarven operation had ground to a halt. As the sun rose once more into the sky, a large group of dwarves exited the tunnel, not noticing the missing fishing rod, but the large gold chunk. They swarmed around the pile of stone blocks and started squabbling, where did this come from, they ask. Perhaps a friendly spirit is simply offering them good fortune, literally. It took two dwarves but they hauled the heavy gold chunk inside the tunnels, meanwhile the other dwarves were still squabbling about this mystery. Thinking they would get more gold, the dwarves began work on more stone blocks, they would need them later anyway!

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

Having no clue what the fishing rod was or to its use, he desided to ask the dwarves, having not personally met a dwarf his ploy was so-so and wouldn't stand any sort of long attention, doing his best to keep size, hairyness, and bulk but having no idea of dwarven color, texture, or a good dwarven accent he formed the best he could. He desided that to get correct information he would either have to 'borrow' one dwarf for intense questioning, or inprove his mimic vastly. Taking the fishing pole in one hand and a chunk of shiny-stone(gems of assorted value) the size of a heart(minor) for the dwarves lost work time in the other he crawled from his hollow and twords the dwarven tunnel. Having picked a waiting spot for his prey(I mean Dwarf) he waited until he saw a lone dwarf searching for something by the river "Maybe he's looking for this", he said glancing at the rod. Jetting towards the river at what would appear Ultra-Dwarven speeds, he arrived at the river and the dwarf before even incressing his heart-rates. "What are you looking for", Dreadfang question with a extremly distinct accent of difference to any dwarf. "Looking for my fishing rod", the fisherdwarf said patting down some reeds, "You have an odd accent, what hall do you hail from", the dwarf said glancing at Dreadfang and spying the fishing rod said "Hey, thats my ...", but stoped when he saw what was gripped around it, darted his sight at the face of what to the unfortunate dwarf seemed to be his certain death, followed shortly by the total amount of blood draining from this stout dwarf's head(he passed out, poor dwarf), Dreadfang thaught this was quite a bad sirvival instinct from such a creature, but found it useful while carrying the dwarf to his hollow, leaving the Shiney-stone in its place will do for compansation.

(OOC:If you want to do the dwarfs role you need to message me first to get the details correct.:ENDOOC)

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: DreaDFanG ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

It was getting late before another dwarf exited the tunnels and looked around. "Fernhaght, were are ye? We're all hungry in here and this gold is worth naught till the caravan comes! Whats takin' so long? By now ye should have dozens a fish fer us!" The dwarf looked around again but could see no other dwarves in sight, but instead the small pile of gems sitting by the river. "Strange things be happening! Here where our fisher should be is naught but a pile of gems! Gems dont feed hungry dwarves!" Either way he took the gems back into the tunnels. The situation was dire now, wealth was comming out of nowhere, but if they didnt do something soon they would all starve!

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7