Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: United Assembly Interest Check  (Read 3066 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
United Assembly Interest Check
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:29:21 am »

So, I've done some thinking about my United Assembly game, and I would like to restart it, in a slightly different format. You can view the old version in my signature. Here's the basic rundown of how it works:

At least twelve people assume the position of Representative for their fictional nation in the United Assembly, a newly-formed body of international government in the style of the UN, but with much more power. The UA was instituted following a long series of world wars mostly instigated by one of its member nations, and aims to bring peace and order to the world. At least, that's its mission statement. In reality, each representative has two goals to accomplish, one economic and one political. Every nation has a deficit of something, and it's up to the representative to figure out which nation has the resource they need and organize a trade deal. Additionally, they have a political goal that can only be accomplished through the bureaucracy of the UA, which is usually detrimental to most if not all of the other member nations. Once they've accomplished these two goals, they win the game. At the same time, the UA must address its mission statement and use its powers to influence the world based on events generated by me, the GM. They are given total freedom (within the charter) to write proposals doing anything and everything, just like real legislature. The more specific and word-heavy the better. Passing them will have effects on the world as determined by the GM, and they may even actually solve problems (or potentially make them worse). Either way, it's just a distraction; the real game is in the shady backroom deals and backstabbing.

The last time I ran it, players complained that it was too fast-paced, and that they couldn't keep up with the pace of generated events because the thread moved too slowly. I believe I've come up with a solution to that: Each meeting of a committee will run for one day, which is as many days in real life as it takes for the committee to meet and for it to be decided that the committee is over. If the committee takes 2 weeks to resolve, it's still only 1 day in the game's time. This should solve the problem of player lag.

The game needs, I feel, at least 12 people to have enough people in each committee that the internal politics remain interesting. However, it has room for an infinite number. If at least 12 people express interest, I'll run a fresh game.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: United Assembly Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:46:03 am »

Mmm... you might just be making it too slow-paced by doing that, but I'm interested anyway. First forum game I played :))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:02 am »

It's possible, but I don't really see a better solution. At least this way the in-game time flow is preserved.

And that's right, I recruited you from GD, didn't I? Gosh, you've had quite an illustrious FG&RP career since then.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:04:22 am »

Will we still be limited to a comittee meeting at a time?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:50 am »

Yes, unless you choose to hold them at the same time in the same place, but these meetings will only occupy 1 in-game day.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:09:24 am »

Mmmmh, put me down as tentatively interested.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:16:53 am »

Hey, this thing again.

I wasn't too fond of the earlier format and gradually lost interest. I'll PTW for the time being to see how this new version pans out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:46:46 am »

definetly interested especially if we have more power now giving us an easer chance to fulfill our goals.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 04:49:10 am »

You guy always had basically limitless power (except as limited by the charter). Now you will just be able to wield it more effectively.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:57 am »

This seems INovative
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:48 am »

((I'm in by the way))
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:26:09 am »

Ok, that's four.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:01 am »

I feel like we should start with eight but that is just me.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:39:31 am »

Eight people is not enough to fill all the committees. I might consider starting with ten but frankly I'd rather just hold out for twelve. Eight is definitely too few.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 10:43:36 am »

Interest is expressed.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.