Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves filling the stockpile with individual items instead of barreling them?  (Read 516 times)

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dwarves currently seem content to, instead of filling the food stockpile with barrels of food, they just take each individual item out and fill the entire stockpile with what could be put in 2-4 barrels. Because of this, there's a bit of a backup in food production and storage. And suggestions on how to induce them to begin storing it in barrels?
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile

Are barrels allowed in your food stockpile? Also, do you have enough barrels to hold everything? Dwarves should prefer putting things in barrels rather than leaving them out, provided there are barrels to be used.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Are barrels allowed in your food stockpile? Also, do you have enough barrels to hold everything? Dwarves should prefer putting things in barrels rather than leaving them out, provided there are barrels to be used.
If you get a lot of food at once, such as when you trade with a caravan, it seems that sometimes they fill the stockpile with indiviual goods before they putting them in barrels, since there is only one spare barrel in the stockpile at any given time and they only fill/bring-to-stockpile one barrel at a time, IIRC.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If a barrel is already tasked for 'Put in Stockpile' jobs, no one else will be able to put anything in it. If all barrels are tasked, they set it in any tile available, and that generates a 'Put in Barrel' job. I think if the stockpile gives to another, it generates another 'Put in Stockpile' job instead, but I'd have to watch closer to be certain.