Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issue with Channelling  (Read 1249 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Issue with Channelling
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »

I've noticed an issue with my miners channeling (depth) recently.

I usually dig my access shaft to the river on the first z-level down with an access hallway (that I later wall off) to start the process.

Then at the end of the shaft I channel downward to where I want my reservoirs at.

However, in the current version they will no longer dig all the way down even with exit ability from the bottom level.  I usually find one or two choke points that they won't/haven't dug out in channelling and I have to dig a new access hall just for that particular z-level.

Any idea what may be causing this?

(edit: My current fortress I just started my dig on, there was only one z-level that gave me an issue.  When I opened a new hallway on that level, they immediately dug to it and completed the channelling downward.  I did note that at the bottom of this shaft there were three rock items stacked.  one each marble/obsidian/microcline...is it possible the stacked rock caused the issue this time around?)

...And I just noticed I put this in General and not Gameplay discussion...if a Mod can move for me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:07:05 pm by ragincajun »
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with Channelling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »

(assuming you're using a .40.xx version) If you're channeling single-tile vertical shafts, then every time the miner digs out the tile underneath him, he falls 1 z-level. When a dwarf falls, they try to catch themselves on any nearby vertical surface (like the wall of the shaft). If they succeed in catching themselves, then they will attempt to climb to safety, which generally means up and out of the shaft. If they fail at climbing, then they fall again (possibly from much higher this time), and try to catch the wall on the way down again. This repeats until either they fall all the way back down, or manage to climb out. If they fall all the way to the bottom without serious injury, they go back to their channeling. If they suffer a serious injury or death while falling, then they wait at the bottom of the pit until they recover on their own, die, or get rescued. If your miners have developed any climbing skill, then this is almost certainly what has been happening.

As an alternative, since stairs don't block the flow of water, you can use a vertical staircase down to your cistern level to avoid this issue entirely.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:10 pm »

That's it..thanks.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »

If you want a channel, you can remove the stairs one by one, bottom first.
Dorf can channel from above without stepping on the tile he's currently digging, providing he has a place to stand.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Demosthien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:29:21 pm »

...snip... If your miners have developed any climbing skill, then this is almost certainly what has been happening. ...snip...

Well, that explains all the climbing skills my dorfs seem to be acquiring recently.
iMac
OSX: 10.10.2
Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB