Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 805679 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1860 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:58 am »

I'm still playing 0.A
something something neanderthal something
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 29, 2015, 07:05:41 am »

Hey! Neanderthals were superior to sapiens! Sapiens just cheated by procreating like bunnies and camping! Fucking casuals...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 29, 2015, 07:26:17 am »

Hey! Neanderthals were superior to sapiens! Sapiens just cheated by procreating like bunnies and camping! Fucking casuals...
Agriculture OP, pls nerf.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 29, 2015, 10:19:45 am »

Brazier leaves smoke though, which is not good. Especially inside because it just doesn't go away.

Eh... The one I installed in my mansion seems to function just fine. Just so long as you're not standing directly adjacent to it, you're not going to be bothered by the smoke too much. And even then, a filter mask completely negates any need to worry about that.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:36 pm »

Soooo, let's talk NPCs. Recently got started again with Cataclysm, and it seems that it's widely suggested to turn on (static) NPCs. Well, I never played with them in ye olden days, so I'd be happy about any info playing with NPCs enabled. Are they in any way useful or helpful? What kind of interactions can I have with them? And why are dynamic NPCs still considered unworthy to be enabled?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 29, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »

NPC's are insane. That's about it. Don't expect them to be reasonable.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 29, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

NPCs are psychotic, like the D said. A lot of them will attack you on sight for no goddamn reason. Some of them will scream at you to drop your "weapon" (anything in hand, including a box of noodles or a radio) and then either a) tell you to fuck off or b) rob you of random items, start walking away, then turn hostile and attack you for no goddamn reason. NPCs with flamethrowers have the tendency to shoot at enemies point-blank and torch themselves. Extra-psychotic NPCs with melee weapons will rush you and try to stab you, even if you have an energy rifle or a ticking nuke in your hands. NPCs can and will demonstrate all of these behaviors (including attempting a robbery) while you're speeding towards them at 100 km/h in a semi-trailer truck turned into a murder wagon.

The friendly NPCs are useful, but not necessarily much smarter. They can teach you skills and join you, but unless told otherwise, they tend to rush off into dangerous areas (read: the middle of a big city) and shoot everything in sight on full-auto, usually getting themselves killed. They also have the same problem with flamethrowers and self-immolation.

NPCs also tend to have a lot of combat skills. You don't quite realize how shockingly tough a living human is until you try to gun one down as they rush at you and stab you down with a bunch of knives tied around a broom handle.

Dynamic spawn makes these issues more noticeable because NPCs pretty much crawl out of the dirt. Seriously, sleep for a day or two and check the map and observe the half-dozen NPCs that suddenly showed up. With all this in mind, I actually do like playing with NPCs. Even if they make poor choices and are frustrating to exterminate at times, they add a surreal quality to the game that would otherwise be absent; there's nothing quite like a NPC shouting half a dozen curses in ten words at you then firing a tommy gun full-auto and missing every shot because of recoil. Hiring NPCs provides a degree of combat power that you otherwise couldn't get in the normal game, and make quite nice overwatch while you pick through buildings. Just don't let them see the loot, or else they might try to take it and play the "beat you there!" game.

warning: I haven't played the game in a month or so. Some info may be outdated.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 29, 2015, 03:52:57 pm »

So i was playing with NPC static on and i went to a refugee center, start bartering, initiate a couple quest then i move outside, get in my deathmobile on the way to the quest objective. I see a couple zombie, fine! Ill get off my car and kill them... and i kill and i kill and i kill and they spawn, and spawn and spawn untill i literaly had no where i could move without tripping on zombie.... there was about 40 zombie surrounding me, the refugee center NPC rushed outside fired shots and went melee on their ass then... crash, debug spamming me with cannot spawn monster at X,X no space .... The game spawned soooo many zombie that it crashed itself XD...

Pro-tip if you want to enjoy the quest line from the refugee center... DO NOT TURN wandering zombie on....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 29, 2015, 04:54:20 pm »

What determines the rate of zombies spawning from a flashing "Z" horde on the map anyways?  Is it tied to the zombie spawn modifier?  If so, can we get a modifier that only affects spawn rates of wandering hordes?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 29, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »

Brazier leaves smoke though, which is not good. Especially inside because it just doesn't go away.
Which doesn't matter if you only do it in unimportant, enclosed rooms while wearing a gas mask, which I have.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 29, 2015, 06:06:34 pm »

Can someone tell me whether or not the latest experimental has fixed the "enemies can see you around corners" problem? It makes peeking useless and let's NPCS and turrets shoot you around those corners. Hide behind a tree to break line of sight? Nope, bullets curve around the tree.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 29, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »

There's a discussion about possible ways to fix it going on in the forums right now, but no, it's not currently "fixed". It's one of those tricky problems that seems like it would have a good and easy solution to implement, but that in truth is much more complex than it appears, doubly so because things like LoS are performance intensive enough to require heuristic tweaks to be considered in their programming as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »

I'm playing an experimental from about 10 days ago and it happened to me a few hours ago (fortunately I was armored like a boss), so as of then it does not seem to be fixed...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

There's a discussion about possible ways to fix it going on in the forums right now, but no, it's not currently "fixed". It's one of those tricky problems that seems like it would have a good and easy solution to implement, but that in truth is much more complex than it appears, doubly so because things like LoS are performance intensive enough to require heuristic tweaks to be considered in their programming as well.

Somethings not right, because I don't remember this happening in the past. It should not be a matter of figuring out how to add proper line if sight, it should be a matter of undoing what caused this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:22 pm »

It's not a new problem. It's something that's been happening for as long as I've been helping the project, so at least as far back as between versions .6 and .7. It's more just a matter of that as we go along and fix the (larger) bugs, sometime bugs that weren't as prominent become the "big bug on the block", since they are now the dominating one, combined with the fact that average player notice of bugs tends to shift and change as time passes.

It's definitely not something "recent" though. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 451