Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795157 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4815 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:47 pm »

I suggest that someone draft a simple design doc describing this other version of Cataclysm that you would all like to see. The general consensus seems to be "complexity is good, tedium is bad". The game should retain its difficulty, as well as player freedom and expression, but steps should be taken to remove parts of the game that add unnecessary, tedious obstacles (busywork) between the player and the fun aspects of the game.

Whether anyone here thinks they have the skills to manage a new fork or even contribute to the codebase, getting all these ideas written down in one place will make it easier to chart a course for a potential offshoot.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 22, 2017, 04:58:05 pm »

I can help with coding. I mean, I know C and C++ (a 10 seconds research tells me Cata is written in C++), but have no experience with game development; my coding experience is largely based on microcontrollers. It would be a welcome challenge.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:17 pm »

They removed the many variants of gun stores in favor of that one single boring block which is basically the original Whales design but made more boring and unrealistically secure, it doesn't feel like a gun store in America, it doesn't even feel like a gun store, it acts and feels like a locked up box of guns because some random dev decided they didn't like guns. It is almost as if one of the programmers has no idea that people play different styles in an open ended, open world zombie survival "roguelike" and just wants to restrict the use of guns as much as possible in favor of their own weird image of how they think the game is supposed to be played. I loved the variety and life of the different gun stores, I faintly remember a variant that gave off the impression of being one of those small time family owned gun smiths you see in rural areas of America.

While I liked the whole thing about internal and detachable magazines thing, I didn't like how I need to press three different keys to make a shot, or press f two times at some completely arbitrary penalty just to get a shot off. I really miss Whales, I really do.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:28:08 pm by Eclectic Wizard »
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: August 24, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »

They removed the many variants of gun stores in favor of that one single boring block which is basically the original Whales design but made more boring and unrealistically secure, it doesn't feel like a gun store in America, it doesn't even feel like a gun store, it acts and feels like a locked up box of guns because some random dev decided they didn't like guns.

The other variants of gunstore are still in the game, its just  that they have always had minuscule weight in comparison to the original design.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4819 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »

FWIW, Whales estimated that there's about 10 hours of coding left to be done on Cataclysm 2, but doesn't know when(if) he'll get around to it. (RL/lack of passion/etc)

I haven't the foggiest what it's true state is, but if that was an accurate (as opposed to Steam-time :P) estimate of the effort remaining, perhaps those dissatisfied with DDA could rally to finish and maintain the semi-abandoned sequel?
I know once upon a time Whales was somewhat opposed to pull requests on Cata1, and while he was still coding, it was pretty much the same for Cata2. But that was also years ago when he still had passion for the project.

Just saying, that (afaik) a pretty much forgotten sequel could be viable given the reasonable circumstances and persuasion.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:13 pm »

Wasn't Cata2 meant to be a highly combat oriented game with a clear win condition? That kind of destroyed my interest in it.

I also don't see why people dissatisfied with the current game should just leave, either. It's a community project, and there is clearly a split in the community here. That sounded way more aggressive than I intended.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:02:47 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 25, 2017, 10:15:19 pm »

I suggest that someone draft a simple design doc describing this other version of Cataclysm that you would all like to see. The general consensus seems to be "complexity is good, tedium is bad". The game should retain its difficulty, as well as player freedom and expression, but steps should be taken to remove parts of the game that add unnecessary, tedious obstacles (busywork) between the player and the fun aspects of the game.

Whether anyone here thinks they have the skills to manage a new fork or even contribute to the codebase, getting all these ideas written down in one place will make it easier to chart a course for a potential offshoot.
I would love to draft this document. I've been effectively silent on this issue, but I'm seriously unhappy with the direction the project has taken, and Kevin's autocratic management has been the root of the problem, IMO.

Any suggestions? I take it I should focus on the project philosophy, but should I be brief on the reasons for the split or expound upon them? Should I go into specifics of what belongs or what doesn't, or should I leave the real nitty-gritty and specific game mechanics out for a later revision once the fork is up and running?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:37 pm »

If you're writing it, I'd love to collaborate with you and other forumgoers. It's best to get as many ideas as you can and filter them down into general critiques IMO.

If not, will you take some suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:33:49 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4823 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:24 pm »

Drama/politics should be left out entirely of design docs. They shouldn't be a soapbox, but a guiding path.

It should be more of a high-level exposition, as opposed to being detail-oriented, as far as in-game things go. Certain lore specifics would fit into such a document, however.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: August 29, 2017, 11:22:23 am »

Basic guidelines to help answer the basic questions of "Should this be in the game" and "What level of realism are we shooting for?" are good.

And I am definitely in favor of a basic guiding principle of "Realism is great as long as it does not impose too much tedium on the player". Want it to take 8 hours for my character to craft up some easy but time consuming? Sure, as long as it doesn't take more then me as a player going "Hey, character, make this thing". 
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: August 29, 2017, 11:43:54 am »

Thing is, if I recall CDDA already has a design document, one that's fallen a bit the wayside.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: August 29, 2017, 07:23:03 pm »

I was making good progress with a character, made it to day 12 which is different for me as I usually die on the second or third day. I may have been abusing NPCs and treating them like fodder but I did keep most of them alive. Found some skill books, was starting to skill up my character decently....

Then the game crashed and I lost my character. I haven't had the heart to open the game back up since the crash, I'm just so broken over it. Not to mention I'm kinda terrified now of the game crashing on me as it's never crashed before this. Why you treat me like this Cataclysm?

Maybe I'll just wait for the new IWBUMS release for Project Zomboid. New area has been added along with vehicles. Plus, when that game crashes I don't lose everything >_<

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: August 30, 2017, 02:25:52 am »

I was making good progress with a character, made it to day 12 which is different for me as I usually die on the second or third day. I may have been abusing NPCs and treating them like fodder but I did keep most of them alive. Found some skill books, was starting to skill up my character decently....

Then the game crashed and I lost my character. I haven't had the heart to open the game back up since the crash, I'm just so broken over it. Not to mention I'm kinda terrified now of the game crashing on me as it's never crashed before this. Why you treat me like this Cataclysm?

Maybe I'll just wait for the new IWBUMS release for Project Zomboid. New area has been added along with vehicles. Plus, when that game crashes I don't lose everything >_<

Why don't you enable autosave? I haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure there's an option for the game to save when you go to bed.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:40 am »

Welp. Yet another PR that would make me want to update for the sake of testing changes to my mod becomes endangered by Kevin.

Maybe the clairvoyance artifact was not meant to fully recon rooms on the other side of a wall but just save you from opening a door and being face-to-face with something nasty. The basic range of 3 does its job well if that job is to avoid surprises at close range. Could just ask him what the intended purpose of it is, or explain that you'd be going for a change in purpose rather than just "making it better for the sake of making it better".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:48:25 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 451