Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795165 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4830 on: August 30, 2017, 07:44:46 am »

People's complaints tend to also be about night vision being so op now.

The two-tile basic night vision was a godsend back in 0.C, this variable, monochromatic, mid-range NV is good.  It even lets you snipe with a gun with it.

3 tiles of wall-see is not a bunch.

I think 5 would be adequate, and a compromise.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4831 on: August 30, 2017, 10:00:50 am »

People's complaints tend to also be about night vision being so op now.

The two-tile basic night vision was a godsend back in 0.C, this variable, monochromatic, mid-range NV is good.  It even lets you snipe with a gun with it.

Cool thing about current night vision is that it's range is dependent on modified perception. So having low base perception, being in severe pain, or having heavy eye encumbrance can all set your vision range down to one tile.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 30, 2017, 12:19:10 pm »

Kevin put up a good suggestion, adding a higher-level clairvoyance effect. Since Noct isn't the code monkey here, and of those of us over on Utterly Mad I'm the most competent (translation: least INcompetent) with the source...

...godhelpusall. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4833 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:11 pm »

Cool thing about current night vision is that it's range is dependent on modified perception. So having low base perception, being in severe pain, or having heavy eye encumbrance can all set your vision range down to one tile.
I understand its purpose and all but hearing 'eye encumbrance' still amuses me and brings to mind someone somehow lifting heavy things with his eyelids.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »

Pbbbt. The Wink of Doom, insta-gibbing zombie hulks.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 30, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »

Pbbbt. The Wink of Doom, insta-gibbing zombie hulks.

agreed needs complexity depth

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4836 on: August 30, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »

Any suggestions? I take it I should focus on the project philosophy, but should I be brief on the reasons for the split or expound upon them? Should I go into specifics of what belongs or what doesn't, or should I leave the real nitty-gritty and specific game mechanics out for a later revision once the fork is up and running?
Basic guidelines to help answer the basic questions of "Should this be in the game" and "What level of realism are we shooting for?" are good.

And I am definitely in favor of a basic guiding principle of "Realism is great as long as it does not impose too much tedium on the player". Want it to take 8 hours for my character to craft up some easy but time consuming? Sure, as long as it doesn't take more then me as a player going "Hey, character, make this thing". 

Yeah, I think that the most important use for a design document is creating a set of guiding principles for which features should be in the game. If someone has a question about a change, the design doc should be able to guide them to a clear "yes" or "no".

I would say that, as a simple guideline, game features should be (in descending level of importance):
  • Fun
  • Realistic
  • Lore-friendly
Most important is fun. The game should have an emphasis on engagement, player agency, and reduction of tedium, and thought should be put into early/mid/late game pacing. Next is realism; Cataclysm is just as much a post-apocalyptic survival game as it is about zombies. Complexity is good, bloat and tedium are not. Finally, a gameplay feature should be lore-friendly, to keep a consistent tone, so long as it doesn't violate the first two guidelines.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: September 01, 2017, 03:33:57 am »

Maybe the clairvoyance artifact was not meant to fully recon rooms on the other side of a wall but just save you from opening a door and being face-to-face with something nasty. The basic range of 3 does its job well if that job is to avoid surprises at close range. Could just ask him what the intended purpose of it is, or explain that you'd be going for a change in purpose rather than just "making it better for the sake of making it better".

I think that's why it's called 'clairvoyance'. Your character's not literally seeing through the walls, just having bizarrely accurate premonitions of what's around the corner/just out of sight.
thincake

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: September 01, 2017, 08:30:22 am »

Welp, evidently a certain someone has insisted that any fancier clairvoyance should be debug or mod only. Which is...eh, fine by me I guess. I was only excited about the suggestion because I can use it in Arcana, so fuck it. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 01, 2017, 10:28:17 am »

Well, you can add it as a mod option.

Clairvoyance as a debug would allow us to use it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 01, 2017, 11:44:17 am »

Yeah. I've have thought that better clairvoyance would have some vanilla use, but eh. Fuck it. Not my problem if Kevin doesn't want it, but that he's alright with it being implemented for debug and mods is alright. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 02, 2017, 04:05:42 pm »

There's already that max-clairvoyance artifact for debug, though, right?
thincake

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: September 02, 2017, 04:24:04 pm »

Which is a touch overkill, admittedly.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: September 04, 2017, 06:16:33 pm »

perhaps a more fleshed out clairvoyance system with additional depth and progression might be useful

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:28 am »

Eh, maybe. For now I figure once Coolthulhu's patch has the new property too (Noct's thing got merged) I'll make use of it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 451