Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 793187 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4980 on: January 29, 2018, 03:44:50 am »

ranged weapons were always a bit of a bug bear ill check that out, has anyone thought to recombine some of the best parts of the forks and get the project movign again or is it kinda just many forks now doing their own thing

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:05 am »

Has anyone thought to recombine some of the best parts of the forks and get the project movign again or is it kinda just many forks now doing their own thing

Coolthulhu kept his fork up-to-date  with the main fork, he just excluded a few things he believed ruined good game play. Which until now was removing the painkiller requirement for bionic installation and the ranged rebalance.

Problem is that Coolthulhu has been offline since late november, so the fork has fallen out of date.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: January 29, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »

What drama have I missed? Someone mentioned political drama. Speaking as someone who has been in the Cataclysm community since its formation, I'm honestly not surprised things are turning out the way they are. There was always a fair bit of behind the scenes community drama, even under Whales. I can't believe I'd ever say that I MISS the early DDA days where anything that you could think of was added in spite of design, flavour or balance
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:57:21 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: January 29, 2018, 07:01:41 pm »

Plus sometimes PRs, not just by devs but contributors, go like this one: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22822

> half-asses a "realism" change
> pointedly declares they'll do the other half of said half-assed change in another PR
> undersells the gameplay loss of what the full ass will inflict on players
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: January 29, 2018, 08:11:15 pm »

"You cant make things that are made of cotton out of plant fiber"
"Ya know that cotton is a plant fiber, yes?"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:45 pm »

Never forget: "new material: bean"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:16 pm »

Plus sometimes PRs, not just by devs but contributors, go like this one: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22822

> half-asses a "realism" change
> pointedly declares they'll do the other half of said half-assed change in another PR
> undersells the gameplay loss of what the full ass will inflict on players

I wonder how many of those are left by now. I used to love CDDA, but by now I guess I just love the idea, or what it could have been.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:18 pm »

I still occasionally play. Moreso for the sake of ensuring my mod works.

EDIT: And Kevin merged it. In favor of some nonsense like processing plant fiber into thread. There...there is no sane reason you would add a feature like that. Only if there wasn't a 1-to-1 ratio between plant fiber and thread. Increasing thread by making fibers thinner sure as fuck isn't gonna happen because that would benefit the player, while a reduction would be just STELLAR because plant fiber is already stupidly rare.

Note that you can still make rags out of plant fiber or sinew. So now it's both "realistic" and inconsistent.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:00:22 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:00 am »

This PR went out recently: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22791
It added the OBSTACLE flag to the shopping cart basket part as a way to get rid of the "portable difficult terrain" thing, you know were you use it to kite the zombies. But, it did not touch things like the wheelbarrow or swivel chair but those may come in the future.

Then some one made the mistake of saying "hell why not just add the OBSTACLE flag to all cargos" and Keven saw it and said this.

Quote from: kevingranade
This:
why not just add the OBSTACLE flag to all cargos
Is a great idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: January 30, 2018, 08:01:05 am »

But, it did not touch things like the wheelbarrow or swivel chair but those may come in the future.

Ah yes. Gotta half-ass those "realism" changes or it just won't feel right!
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: January 30, 2018, 01:21:04 pm »

Never forget: "new material: bean"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KG4ABmo2NI

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4991 on: January 30, 2018, 05:34:51 pm »

This PR went out recently: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22791
It added the OBSTACLE flag to the shopping cart basket part as a way to get rid of the "portable difficult terrain" thing, you know were you use it to kite the zombies. But, it did not touch things like the wheelbarrow or swivel chair but those may come in the future.

Then some one made the mistake of saying "hell why not just add the OBSTACLE flag to all cargos" and Keven saw it and said this.

Quote from: kevingranade
This:
why not just add the OBSTACLE flag to all cargos
Is a great idea.
I'm calling it: he's going to accidentally add OBSTACLE to seat. and boxes, which means you can't get to the passenger seat from the driver seat of a truck, even if normal seats are left safe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: January 30, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »

I'm calling it: he's going to accidentally add OBSTACLE to seat. and boxes, which means you can't get to the passenger seat from the driver seat of a truck, even if normal seats are left safe.

> accidentally
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: January 30, 2018, 06:22:32 pm »

I dislike the gameyness of the approach of a lot of recent changes.

It's like we get one realism change, then people complain it made things too easy, so we get a change that makes things completely unrealistic, then the cycle repeats.

The dispersion started because we needed a more realistic aiming system (why I have no idea), this meant with enough time even an unskilled shooter could line up a shot. Just like real life. Then there were complaints about how there's no point in skills anymore, so they tried mucking with the weapon stats and ammo rather than the broken aiming system they had in place.

Or the issue with shopping carts being used as a means to slow down zombies in combat. Rather than go "Wait a minute.. shopping carts are usually made of some form of plastic or shit metal, we should make them really weak and easy to destroy!" they go with "Shopping carts are objects of such engineering that you can only go around them!"

The community screaming realism!!! while disregarding realism is the current problem. Real life is not balanced. You can't demand realism AND balanced gameplay.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:23 pm »

I dislike the gameyness of the approach of a lot of recent changes.

It's like we get one realism change, then people complain it made things too easy, so we get a change that makes things completely unrealistic, then the cycle repeats.

The dispersion started because we needed a more realistic aiming system (why I have no idea), this meant with enough time even an unskilled shooter could line up a shot. Just like real life. Then there were complaints about how there's no point in skills anymore, so they tried mucking with the weapon stats and ammo rather than the broken aiming system they had in place.

Or the issue with shopping carts being used as a means to slow down zombies in combat. Rather than go "Wait a minute.. shopping carts are usually made of some form of plastic or shit metal, we should make them really weak and easy to destroy!" they go with "Shopping carts are objects of such engineering that you can only go around them!"

The community screaming realism!!! while disregarding realism is the current problem. Real life is not balanced. You can't demand realism AND balanced gameplay.
It's not people screaming about realism, it's people demanding a "real challenge" and misidentifying it as the game not being realistic enough.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 451