Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794799 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5010 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:32 am »

My opinion? If you still like the game, feel free to enjoy it.  Don't let us stand in your way.  Try out the latest builds, see if you enjoy it as it stands, and if you do, that's wonderful.  While listening to the opinions of those who have similar tastes can be helpful, the proof of the pudding is still ultimately in the eating.

Just, uh, keep a back-up of the last build you have that you know you enjoyed, just in case.  I don't think I did; I just checked, and the only two builds are from November 2017 and December 2016, which means the August kerfluffle is included in the former and a half-year of development is lost in the latter.  I also don't know when this whole mess really began; I didn't catch it until it spilled over here.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: February 12, 2018, 04:38:29 am »

I still play it now and then, it's still entertaining, it's just that as someone who kept up with the github for awhile(and even contributed at one point in my tiny little way I could without knowing code) I know about all the little immersion breaking things that a casual player may not have even noticed. 

For example, and since it was mentioned before, so there's no risk of ruining someone's fun, the minimum inaccuracy of half a degree is something I would likely not have noticed if I didn't know about it.  I would have just assumed I needed a more accurate gun or more skill to fire a gun accurately past a few tiles.  But because I know about it I now know that no amount of skill or gun mods will make my character able to hit a zombie at more than a few dozen meters.   

While it may not actually be true, the idea of it makes it seem like a Barrett M90 is no more likely to hit a zombie at 30 tiles than a flintlock pistol.  There just seems to no longer be any incentive to seek better guns.  Yea you can find a gun with a longer max range, but you are still not going to hit anything past 10 tiles.

It's vaguely like how I still play Nintendo games.  I like the games themselves for the most part, but their youtube douchebaggery is always in the back of my mind and ruins some of the fun.  The idea that someone who was making meaningful contributions to Cataclysm was essentially banned simply for trying to explain themselves when asked, and did so repeatedly in different ways when asked to reexplain, before finally getting rightfully exasperated when the person with the banhammer seemingly willfully refused to understand, sours the whole experience.  I'm pretty sure my calling it out as shitty on the github is the most upvoted thing I had on any message board ever.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:49:28 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:58 am »

What should I listen to? I mean, let's just put aside this idiotic internet power struggle between developers. I'm just an end user. I want to play this game. I like this game.
What's going on?

Thanks to the download being small the solution to your problem is rather simple actually, in a similar way to Dwarf Fortress you can download the latest experimental and see if you like what you're playing after a while or if you're not enjoying the current game status.
In the case you don't like it, fortunately you can go back to an older version you had prefered, or try one of the forks if they're not abandonned (as the latest fork the Coolthulhu one seems to not have been updated since several months).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: February 12, 2018, 03:21:43 pm »

In the case you don't like it, fortunately you can go back to an older version you had prefered, or try one of the forks if they're not abandonned (as the latest fork the Coolthulhu one seems to not have been updated since several months).

The lack of an update from coolthulhu may just mean absolutely nothing worth updating has been going on in the main fork in months.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:29 pm »

Could be busy with other things, or on hiatus. Could be that something Kevin did or said got him sick of being involved for the moment. No telling.

The idea that someone who was making meaningful contributions to Cataclysm was essentially banned simply for trying to explain themselves when asked, and did so repeatedly in different ways when asked to reexplain, before finally getting rightfully exasperated when the person with the banhammer seemingly willfully refused to understand, sours the whole experience.  I'm pretty sure my calling it out as shitty on the github is the most upvoted thing I had on any message board ever.

Ah I remember hearing about that, yeah. Seeing them get banned for that mess honestly pissed me off more than my own banning. I readily admit I tend to be just as abrasive as Kevin, even if what had been the final straw back then was rather trivial compared to prior arguments. But they never seemed anywhere near as bad as I was. Honestly if it'd been me, I would've given up on the PR and mouthed off at Kevin rather quickly.

EDIT: Oh hey, I just discovered a brand new flavor of moronic added to this game. Now you can't split trunks into logs or planks using a stone, copper, or makeshift axe. You know, shit you'd use instead of a wood axe because you're innawoods? Where the trees are? Where you're gonna be wanting the USE all those fucking trees you can cut down but can't make into anything useful?

What the fuck is wrong with the devs these days...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:35:19 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: February 13, 2018, 03:34:14 am »

Hallucinations don't reset limb healing just got merged which was something, if I remember right was something Kevin was opposed to having put in, but was something Coolthulhu put in his branch.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22897
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: February 13, 2018, 12:28:16 pm »

The fuck? Who was banned? I keep hearing of it, but never a name.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:37 pm »

What should I listen to? I mean, let's just put aside this idiotic internet power struggle between developers. I'm just an end user. I want to play this game. I like this game.
Download the game and play it. While playing, consider whether you are having fun.
This isn't minecart surgery.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: February 13, 2018, 01:42:20 pm »

The fuck? Who was banned? I keep hearing of it, but never a name.

The one Greiger was referring to would be DangerNoodle, the author of Mining Mod.

In addition I was as well, a LOT longer ago. Unlike with the other person, I was legit an asshole.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:35 pm »

As someone who actively contributes to the SS13 open source community, I live and breath Github drama. This seems pretty tame in comparison to be honest.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: February 21, 2018, 10:58:01 pm »

Firearm accuracy issue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bans
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if I remember right was something Kevin was opposed to having put in, but was something Coolthulhu put in his branch.
I was opposed to a specific change that would also have prevented reset limb mending in specific scenarios where it needed to be reset.  I recommended preventing it from hallucination damage at the time, but no one got around to it for about a year.

but it seems the forums have gone really quiet recently,
Do you mean B12 forums or the DDA forums?  DDA forums have moved to https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/ (hosting crap, no drama there) so that might be a source of confusion.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:00:33 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:40 am »

I'm unapologetically opinionated about how things should work in my game.
Is it? I was thinking that CDDA is a community project and that it was picked up (mostly) by the bay12 community after Whales abandoned it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5022 on: February 22, 2018, 07:11:58 am »

Well shit, if it's just azmodean's game then why are other people contributing?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:10 am »

Do you mean B12 forums or the DDA forums?

I meant B12 forums. A lot of the oldies just packed up and moved on I think.

You could have put things a lot more tactfully, but eh, we all have our weaknesses. Aside from that, that's a fair point.
Whether Cata is or should be your game or not is something up for debate, it seems, one that I am not going to comment on.

One thing I can say is that you seem to have a clear vision for where the game will head, best of luck with that. A project needs a clear goal after all.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: February 22, 2018, 09:39:53 am »

seems to me that it shouldn't be the guns that are inaccurate, it should be the character in context

i havent played cdda in like a couple years but wasn't there some kind of stress stat? the sort of thing that increased from killing child zombies and being out in the rain?

use that - or something like it - to make it more stressful to do the close range stuff, like kiting zombies with a pistol or otherwise firing at close range, with stress decreasing accuracy.

also i don't remember but didn't you need to hold still and aim for a turn before firing? ie if you had just moved, accuracy was lower?

the long range stuff, like sniping zombies from range, should be effective but require more skills?

it's too bad that people can't discuss solutions and issues without becoming so dramatic
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 451