Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794441 times)

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5055 on: March 02, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »

The calculations for how strong you need to be to one-hand melee weapons might need to be reworked a bit. You can one-hand a Zweihänder with the default 8 strength.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »

The calculations for how strong you need to be to one-hand melee weapons might need to be reworked a bit. You can one-hand a Zweihänder with the default 8 strength.

Betting it'll end in needing more than 8 strength to wield an arming sword or other "designed for one-handed use" weapon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »

Wait, why does twohanding matter? Is it still how it was, where you can only wield one item at a time, or can you hold two things in your two hands now?
...I have really not played this in awhile. And I never really got past "desperate survival" all the times I did play, so some of the big arguments about balance end up sounding absurd. :P

Like, why make different guns have different mechanics? If you are lucky enough to find both a gun and ammo that fits it, you've pretty much won the game already.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: March 02, 2018, 10:18:07 pm »

Wait, why does twohanding matter? Is it still how it was, where you can only wield one item at a time, or can you hold two things in your two hands now?
...I have really not played this in awhile. And I never really got past "desperate survival" all the times I did play, so some of the big arguments about balance end up sounding absurd. :P

Like, why make different guns have different mechanics? If you are lucky enough to find both a gun and ammo that fits it, you've pretty much won the game already.

It comes into play if one arm is disabled, if you have the fusion blaster CBM, or if you're wearing a shield or other "you're probably holding this" item.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: March 02, 2018, 10:37:40 pm »

Ah, well, that hardly seems worth it tbh.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: March 02, 2018, 10:58:18 pm »

Never say that to Kevin. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: March 02, 2018, 11:25:11 pm »

I dislike many changes and additions and find some of his attitudes to the project to be childish at best, but come on. That was extremely petty.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: March 03, 2018, 12:15:45 am »

I dislike many changes and additions and find some of his attitudes to the project to be childish at best, but come on. That was extremely petty.

True. Less petty version of the above: Kevin has a demonstrated history of advocating hard for changes he believes are necessary, and has a tendency to object vehemently to any objections to these changes, even when the majority of players, contributors, and even his own developers consider the change in question to be malformed, pointless, or both. Objecting to such changes tends to only encourage Kevin to react to the objector in the manner the community would consider "his usual manner" AKA immaturely.

Is that sufficient for you?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: March 03, 2018, 04:10:50 am »

Well, there is the "creatures that are flagged as being smart enough to avoid dangerous terrain teleport away if they are standing in a tile that is on fire or filled with electricity" issue as well.

Edit: It basically makes animals and other "intelligent" creatures immune to the main damage dealing effects of most fire based weapons and electrical discharges.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:44:26 am by duckman »

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: March 05, 2018, 06:29:04 pm »

The main reason this comes up is if you have a disabled arm.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: March 05, 2018, 10:56:54 pm »

Are we talking being able to swing it with 1 hand at 8 strength or being able to use it effectively with 8 strength?  I can imagine a regular guy (assuming 8 is 'average') being able to just kinda hold a big 5-foot sword and just swing it.  Not skillfully, mind, just kinda like, a barely controlled sorta thing.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5066 on: March 05, 2018, 11:36:56 pm »

Having actually dealt with swords and other man-sized lengths of metal a more than a few times, I'd strongly debate the 1-handedness of a 5 foot sword.
Average people have next to no chance to even have the required grip strength in one hand to be able to pick hold up a 5 foot length of iron from one end.
Assuming you manage to wrangle it onto your shoulder, sure, an average guy could swing it with a very rough aiming direction, but the maneuver to manage that one-handed is definitely not something to attempt in melee combat.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:52:55 am by n9103 »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: March 06, 2018, 05:51:28 am »

Are we talking being able to swing it with 1 hand at 8 strength or being able to use it effectively with 8 strength?  I can imagine a regular guy (assuming 8 is 'average') being able to just kinda hold a big 5-foot sword and just swing it.  Not skillfully, mind, just kinda like, a barely controlled sorta thing.
I don't think the one/two-handing mechanic is any more complex than whether you're able to hold the thing with one hand or not.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: March 06, 2018, 01:02:26 pm »

Nor does it really need to be complex. Large, heavy items already have a high moves-per-attack such that it models "herp derp I don't know how to use this beyond hitting people with it" well enough.

If you want realism, start with that slow swinging, have high skill and/or styles reduce the moves-per-attack to some extent, then code that speed bonus to only apply if you're:

1. Using it two-handed with a modest amount of strength.
or
2. Using it one-handed with a higher degree of strength than it takes to wield it at all.

Then finally, have this bonus capped in some way that super strength doesn't make one-handing massive swords doesn't become trivial, just easier. Beyond a certain point, momentum and general unwieldiness makes it more efficient for a superhuman character to wield a more manageable weapon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: March 06, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »

Having actually dealt with swords and other man-sized lengths of metal a more than a few times, I'd strongly debate the 1-handedness of a 5 foot sword.
Average people have next to no chance to even have the required grip strength in one hand to be able to pick hold up a 5 foot length of iron from one end.
It's a matter of torque control.

Not so much grip strength as wrist curl strength in all sorts of directions (which requires beefing up ligaments, not just muscle -- very slow process).  I have the grip strength to hold onto a 15 lb dumbbell for minutes at a time without any special training (that's under 50% of my (untrainable) estimated one rep max for shoulder shrugs, but (untrained) I certainly can't bring even 12 lbs back to neutral wrist even once in a reverse wrist curl.  And the leverage means the required equivalent dumbbell weight is several times the actual weight of that five foot length.

So...yes, something enough extra strength can correct, but definitely should not be happening at untrained average.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 451