Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794190 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5115 on: April 03, 2018, 10:48:32 am »

I'd like to point out that he insist only on realism when it concord with his vision of the game. He argued that you can swing-hit-and recover with a two by four faster than shoot with an already raised sidearm at a point blank range, better yet, that you'll most likely miss the center of mass if you don't aim carefully. ...anything but realistic.
I opted for playing with marksmanship and all firearms skill at 10 just to be able to hit a broad side of a barn.

I've seen it phrased a different way before. He tends to focus more on realism elements that are to the player's detriment.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: April 07, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »

I'd like to point out that he insist only on realism when it concord with his vision of the game. He argued that you can swing-hit-and recover with a two by four faster than shoot with an already raised sidearm at a point blank range, better yet, that you'll most likely miss the center of mass if you don't aim carefully. ...anything but realistic.
I opted for playing with marksmanship and all firearms skill at 10 just to be able to hit a broad side of a barn.
I'm pretty sure the thing that sparked the accuracy change in the first place was a guy on reddit posting about how they got their rifles skill up to 16 and was hitting targets more than 40% of the time at extreme range while using the most accurate guns in the game at the time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:39:43 pm by duckman »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: April 08, 2018, 11:37:01 am »

So Kevin's reaction to a guy saying they need superhuman skill level (skill cap is 10) and the best gun available in order to get close to "flip a coin" levels of accuracy was...to nerf accuracy FURTHER?

Sounds about right. I mean you could've been referring to the decision to finally unfuck accuracy math, but both sound equally plausible. And that worries me.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: April 08, 2018, 12:04:42 pm »

It does feel as though the perceved point of "superhuman" skill level has been changing over time. For instance, there are a number of books that require you to have level 9 or 10 in a skill to even access them, and manymore that can bring skills to level 10.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: April 08, 2018, 12:41:22 pm »

It does feel as though the perceved point of "superhuman" skill level has been changing over time. For instance, there are a number of books that require you to have level 9 or 10 in a skill to even access them, and manymore that can bring skills to level 10.

Eh. Not really. The skill cap has been 10 for a good while.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: April 08, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »

Thats not what I was saying. I was saying that it feels as though the cap was made to no longer represent someone with superhuman abilities in that skill, with various books being available to train one up to that level in many skills.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: April 08, 2018, 10:57:15 pm »

IIRC it's not so much 'you need 10 INT to read this,' but 'you need 10 INT to read this and glean information from it without difficulty' like you do from magazines or the lower level books seemingly intended for hobbyists. Although if college level textbooks can bring you to rank five or six in a skill, it makes you wonder why professional classes in a particular skill like the electrician only start at rank three, or even as low as two.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: April 08, 2018, 11:42:45 pm »

Not 10 int, 10 in that skill. Intelligence is a whole other kettle of fish.
Highly Opinionated Fool

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: April 09, 2018, 06:29:09 am »

I think he is saying that a having 10 in a skill is more like being a master of that skill rather then superhuman.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: April 09, 2018, 10:41:34 pm »

I recall that once upon a time 8 skill was supposed to be super-professional peak human performance skill.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:45 pm »

Back in 2015 or so I think 10 skill was "best of the best" as far as pre-cataclysm society was concerned. 20 in stats like strength was as good as a naturally born human could be and you would typically have to cripple yourself in other areas like you typically see with people irl that might have comparable stats.

Beyond 20 was, and still is, the domain of literal superhuman mutants/cyborgs. Strength even used to add a further superhuman damage modifier if you went beyond 20, but that seems to have been removed at some point in favor of entirely changing the base scaling of strength and damage from 50% to 75%.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:17 am »

I'm actually kind of surprised Kevin is still around. I've been periodically checking in on this thread for years now and it seems that every time I come in, someone is complaining about Kevin. I think it was last year that I posted about my own dislike for his crap.

I really like Cata but all this stuff makes me not want to bother with the three clicks it takes to download the latest experimental.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: April 12, 2018, 05:49:26 am »

Like Kevin or not, he's pretty much the only person with the drive and such to keep the project going now that everyone else is gone.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: April 12, 2018, 08:07:46 am »

Like Kevin or not, he's pretty much the only person with the drive and such to keep the project going now that everyone else is gone.

Yeah, pretty much. Plenty of people have the skill,, will, time and energy to bitch about Kevin, no one has enough of that to replace him.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:57 am »

Yeah, pretty much. Plenty of people have the skill,, will, time and energy to bitch about Kevin, no one has enough of that to replace him.

I don't have the skill personally but

It's funny you use that word drive, cause that's exactly what Kevin did to all the other contributers who DID have the skill, will, time, and energy to work on the project.  He drove them away.  Seriously, ask most of the former contributers to the project why they left.  Most will say Kevin.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:59:01 am by corrosivechains »
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 451