Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795305 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5490 on: June 30, 2018, 12:07:58 pm »

I kinda can't really have much fun anymore because around half the day is completely wasted due to the eminent threat of darkness. It's at last sorta manageable if you have a stockpile of wood and a fireplace, but yay, more tedium.

Coolthulhu at least is evidently working on unfucking that issue, but then I'd have to go to a version where bionics (which are seriously overrated unless you have EXACTLY what you want and EVERYTHING that supports them) are endgame content, where rotten food spawns improbable hordes of roaches that eat whatever doesn't rot, and where far more things will generate hordes of giant roaches.

I'm finding it harder to find anything I actually like about the latest builds. Coolthulhu is basically the only developer working on things that actually make the game fun.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:24 pm »

Have you actually seen hoards of roaches?  People keep reporting that shit and I've been wasting time trying to find what went wrong but it always turns out they havn't actually tested it.  I've been checking the Reddit and the forums fairly regularly and no one has posted a screen shot of it happening or have an actual story of it occuring in their game.

It doesn't make sense how it is happening based on their generation rates unless you spread each rotting item into a different tile and had all of it rot away at the same time before the carrion feeders eat the other items... Then you are looking at a 20%(?) chance of a spawn on a tile and it'll more than likely be a tiny nymph.

I'm not saying you're full of shit but I'm wasting my free time looking into these reports.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: June 30, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »

I'm not saying you're full of shit but I'm wasting my free time looking into these reports.

This is based on what others have claimed, so... :V

I mean "one giant roach spawns in a sealed room despite the object not providing enough biomass to allow this, and it empties your food store" is itself a pretty idiotic way to lose a stockpile of food. Not to mention unrealistic.

The main instance I can see this horde scenario occurring is when you clear out a horde of undead. Can you imagine the sheer mind-numbing tedium that burning every body in a city would entail? Or better yeah, smashing it all, butchering the cybernetic zeds, butchering everything else, and THEN hauling the zombie gibs around where the remains can all be burnt?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: June 30, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »

This is based on what others have claimed, so... :V
Dude, I've been checking up on Aavak and Rycon along with the discord, somethingawful, and here and I haven't seen anyone running into anything even remotely resembling a horde of cockroaches.  Please send me a link to said description so I can find out what is going on.

How many air tight rooms do you think are left after the cataclysm?  Labs still have ventilation systems, a small hole in the drywall may not even be noticeable to a player, not to mention ceiling vents.  We decided that sealed containers won't generate carrion spawn and that's good enough.

Why would you even burn every body?  If you can deal with hordes you can deal with scavengers.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: June 30, 2018, 02:54:36 pm »

I don’t have zombies trying to bite my eyes  out, so my experience with eyeglasses off hasn’t Bremen that bad. Then again, I’m in the same boat as you.

What issue are you having problems with, specifically?
Sorry I wasn't clearer: I think the glare mechanic is weird. You are less perceptive when you are in normal sunlight without eye protection? That's like the default state of things, it's the environment where our eyes are supposed to function. The description for makeshift sunglasses really highlights the problem- their traditional to the Inuit not to every single group of humans ever. The Inuit made them because snow blindness will fuck you up, not because our eyes evolved for use on some other planet.

I like to keep my curtains closed because I have neighbors and hate being clothed. In cataclysm I would be incapable of reading or complex tasks basically always. I get the argument that no matter how sensitive your eyes are if there's no light there's no light but why is it that an abomination mutagenic super-science and futuristic bionic implants can't read with the blinds drawn? It isn't realism, it isn't balance, it isn't fun. The entire system could be retooled and fixed but I don't even really get why it's there, why isn't it acceptable that the principal barrier to players crafting at night is the fact that it's easier to find your way around in the day time?

It's not even big things but when I notice someone spent effort to make things slightly less convenient then I can't help but notice that nobody thought NPC's should be able to help with disassembling things or that there should be a way to replace a roof/floor without taking a pickaxe to it and risking a total collapse. If it's not about realism or gameplay is it just about dicking the player?

...  We decided that sealed containers won't generate carrion spawn and that's good enough.
I didn't know this but it does make me a little annoyed that I can't put solids into containers. 

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: June 30, 2018, 03:01:29 pm »

I didn't know this but it does make me a little annoyed that I can't put solids into containers. 
Don't be, any furniture that prevents rotten items from disappearing is also airtight/won't gen carrion.  I think that is just fridges?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: June 30, 2018, 03:12:14 pm »

Don't be, any furniture that prevents rotten items from disappearing is also airtight/won't gen carrion.  I think that is just fridges?
That's actually cool but you can't build fridges or move furniture into vehicles so you have to haul them by hand to your base? I'd feel a lot better if I it was something I could make. I guess maybe mini fridges but the storage is a little low, especially with the new "immortal food" thing.

Unrelated: I just realized that by putting some foot pedals on an alternator in my mobile base I can jump start the battery just by pedaling in place for a little.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:11:31 am by Broseph Stalin »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: July 01, 2018, 07:02:14 am »

Well, I guess you cans till mass-pickle meat and the like? Also, there are fridges for vehicle I think.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: July 01, 2018, 08:04:25 am »

Oh, snap, Acidia's here.

Just to let the word out, Acidia's been working on a player-controlled base/faction, and has made a lot of headway recently. If things go on smoothly, it probably won't be long before this makes a functional release.

So, anyway. Bug time. The player can instruct NPCs dig trenches right through the base tiles, leaving them unworkable. Much worse if ran through headquarters, as it breaks missions entirely.

EDIT: Whoops. Fixed link.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:28:28 am by ShinQuickMan »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: July 01, 2018, 08:09:55 am »

Yes! More faction/npc interaction stuff is my number one wish for this game. Good to see you working on such things acacia!

@ShinQuickMan, that link is broken unfortunately (but thanks for the good news!)
Love, scriver~

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: July 01, 2018, 09:30:45 am »

So, anyway. Bug time. The player can instruct NPCs dig trenches right through the base tiles, leaving them unworkable. Much worse if ran through headquarters, as it breaks missions entirely.

Thanks, I actually ran into that one a couple days ago but I plowed through a house.  So close to being able to have it dig trenches up to thee walls of the house and let the player fortify the inside... the problem is that I'd have to make a giant list of all the terrain types its allowed to write over vs the terrain types that it isn't.  Do-able for for v1.0 I just had it cancel if there are terrains other than fields, forests, or swamps.

Also noticed that I inverted the planting temperature check for the farm, but I'm not sure I even have that on the version you are using. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: July 01, 2018, 03:08:23 pm »

Oh, snap, Acidia's here.

Just to let the word out, Acidia's been working on a player-controlled base/faction, and has made a lot of headway recently. If things go on smoothly, it probably won't be long before this makes a functional release.

EDIT: Whoops. Fixed link.
Looks awesome enough to teach myself how to compile it.

Edit: Gave up. Anyone who includes the phrase "do it the normal way" in a guide should step on a lego brick (in socks but not especially thick ones).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:46:27 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: July 01, 2018, 06:06:08 pm »

That player faction/base feature looks really great.
And more NPC interactions, the better to me :)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5503 on: July 01, 2018, 07:08:35 pm »

Edit: Gave up. Anyone who includes the phrase "do it the normal way" in a guide should step on a lego brick (in socks but not especially thick ones).
I know those feels. Have struggled many times to teach myself the ins and outs of compiling (C:DDA in particular) on windows to little avail.
I'd say unless an in-line link to a highly-reliable source is included, they shouldn't be availed of the use of socks for that lego :P

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5504 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:33 am »

Thanks, I actually ran into that one a couple days ago but I plowed through a house.  So close to being able to have it dig trenches up to thee walls of the house and let the player fortify the inside... the problem is that I'd have to make a giant list of all the terrain types its allowed to write over vs the terrain types that it isn't.  Do-able for for v1.0 I just had it cancel if there are terrains other than fields, forests, or swamps.

Also noticed that I inverted the planting temperature check for the farm, but I'm not sure I even have that on the version you are using. 
Do you think it'd be possible for terrain types to carry identifying tags to make it so that more generalized decisions can be made based on a category of terrain? For instance, all flammable terrain having a "flammable" tag that can be read to let NPCs know that they shouldn't start fires on it. Or is the terrain data structure not supporting for this kind of shenaniganry?
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 451