Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794469 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5505 on: July 05, 2018, 12:35:00 pm »

For instance, all flammable terrain having a "flammable" tag
Is there actual non-flammable terrain? The last time I tried, fires would spread just as chaotically and unpredictably on asphalt and solid rock as they do on a grassy forest floor. Trying to make a fire on anything but a brazier was basically suicide, because fire spreading wouldn't stop long actions.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: July 05, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »

I mean you absolutely could add a flammable tag to terrain but I'm not working on NPC AI in any way.  For factions and companion missions, I can't use the existing "dig-able" check because it doesn't include things that the NPCs should be able to deal with without micromanagement like bushes/small trees.  You could go through and add all sorts of tags like "npc_can_alter" or "easy_change_terrain" to let any method that might want to alter the terrain know what is good to change and what isn't.  Lots of man-hours for a minor change that you might have a hard time convincing someone to include if it is used once. 

There's lots of stuff that has limited application or implementation at the moment that makes implementing new things a bit more difficult.  I got a request to update the faction camp system to better support the region map default terrain types... as in if you choose the desert world where the default terrain is sand and scorched earth, the camp buildings shouldn't overwrite the local terrain with grass and dirt.  I thought the desert world stuff was an experiment that no one had worked on in years and very few players even touched, but I guess they're right...  There are also requests for changing and re-balancing construction times according to the world setting construction rate multiplier.  Since food consumption is based on work duration, that means that would also have to be re-balanced to some factor of the season length multiplier and food consumption multiplier.  On top of that there are requests to move all text to jsons for easy modding, which requires adding json support for misc formatted strings.  Spending handfuls of hours ensuring support for custom settings that I've never used sucks because it feels like a waste of time.

LOL, that isn't directed at you though!  Just giving you an idea of some of the things I think we could improve upon as a community.  My number one goal is trying to keep the game as welcoming to new developers as possible so that the inevitable turnover doesn't result in the game dying-off.  Doing a bit of math you realize that the person most likely to make huge game changing improvements to the game is someone in their early twenties with lots of time that is looking for experience working on a big project with others.  I'm pretty sure most of the past major contributors have moved beyond that stage with families, careers, and other obligations.  I don't work in IT nor do I have much of a computer science background so projects like this are about the limit of my ability (probably beyond it if you read some of the github comments :D ), but I am a little bit of an outlier since I'll probably never have anything better to do while on a nine month "work trip" every couple years, if you know what I mean. 

Just keeping expectations to a manageable level so y'all aren't disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:02:06 am by acidia »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: July 05, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »

I'll probably never have anything better to do while on a nine month "work trip" every couple years, if you know what I mean. 

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder what you mean by that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 05, 2018, 02:03:25 pm »

Ah, don't worry about it.  It's like seasonal work, every couple of years you might have a bunch of free time with little else to do.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 05, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »

H-uh.  That would help explain the alleged over-involvement and, um, alleged overprotectiveness/defensiveness, maybe.  As an outsider to this project, it's an interesting theoretical scenario.
Unless I'm misreading between the lines.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 05, 2018, 03:26:03 pm »

Just to clarify so that there is no misunderstanding, I 100% support Kevin being in charge of the project and realize that all of the small contributions the community makes to the game gives it its character, if someone took that the wrong way.  Expecting Kevin or one of the dev's that work in IT, that have been around a while, to come up with the free time that whales had 8 years ago or some other young programmer has now, that's insane.  You could literally create a new game from scratch with that kind of time (but it'll be shitty and everyone will forget about it in a month or two like the flood of beta games on steam, so come join our project).  If you're a young person and can devote 500hrs to overhauling an open source project, that's a lot of valuable experience and we'd love to see what you can do.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:02:50 pm by acidia »

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 07, 2018, 10:59:38 am »

dissociativity just compiled a tile set version of the npc/player base PR if anyone is interesting in testing.  Known bugs are the player currently learning NPC only recipes, a slow processing time for scout/combat missions, and vehicles will disappear then reappear when you are doing chop shop missions.  Combat/scout mission can only encounter monsters that you've seen before is just a limit of the system at the moment.

https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/spoilers-your-base/9737/99

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 15, 2018, 03:47:28 pm »

Just played cataclysm after years of last playing it and a lot of things have changed. Evac shelters have a lot less loot, melee feels more risky, and I sometimes need light to craft stuff. Not sure where to proceed with earlygame.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 16, 2018, 01:25:17 am »

Can plant mutants safely eat cow pies or is that still WIP?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 16, 2018, 03:15:12 am »

Why would you want to?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 16, 2018, 04:44:57 am »

Why would you want to?
Plant mutants already enjoy consuming liquid fertilizer(+30 morale) more than normal food, so why not?

I assume a non-plant survivor would probably want to turn it into actual fertilizer for their crops or dry it for fuel.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »

Why would you want to?

And thus began Coprophilia: Dung Days Ahead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 17, 2018, 10:09:50 am »

Coprophilia: Dung Days Ahead.
That's the kind of stuff you get when a bunch of weirdos mod the game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:18 pm »

Faction camps is live. Reportedly, there're still some kinks to work out, so you might want to wait until the most annoying of them have been solved.

CBM's have also gotten a big-ish change. The player can no longer manually install them. Instead, they're required to find an 'auto-doc' to implant it for them, a fixture that can be found in hospitals and hidden in various other locations. In place of painkillers, the player needs to have anesthetics in hand, which the machine will take from the inventory. The installation procedure is fairly time consuming, and the player will be completely incapacitated for the duration. Make sure you find a safe spot before you begin. Not too clear on this, but I believe failure rates and such remain the same. Also, The Bright Nights mod still allows manual CBM installations.

Other changes:
  • Restocking/preserving fuel for fires is now done automatically whenever the player is doing any lengthy action that needs heat/light.
  • Bandages, disinfectants, and the like no longer heal instantaneously, but instead over a very long duration of time. Also, first aid kits no longer cure infections.
  • Various structures, such as sporting stores, military surplus stores, and labs have new variations and (in the case of the latter) a more randomized design.
  • New feature for smoker grill. Similar to charcoal kilns, the player can cook large batches of smokable items without oversight. Simply load the material and fuel, light the grill, then do other stuff until the product is done.
  • Many farm animals and birds can now be tamed. Bird cages were also added to easily carry around chickens and other fowl.

EDIT: Whoops. Made a mistake. The smoking rack, a new item, does the food smoking action above. Smoker grills remain the same.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:43:04 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: July 17, 2018, 02:56:17 pm »

CBM's have also gotten a big-ish change. The player can no longer manually install them. Instead, they're required to find an 'auto-doc' to implant it for them, a fixture that can be found in hospitals and hidden in various other locations. In place of painkillers, the player needs to have anesthetics in hand, which the machine will take from the inventory. The installation procedure is fairly time consuming, and the player will be completely incapacitated for the duration. Make sure you find a safe spot before you begin. Not too clear on this, but I believe failure rates and such remain the same. Also, The Bright Nights mod still allows manual CBM installations.

Oof. Seems kinda pointless given bionics are overall rather overwhelming unless you use the right ones in tandem.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 451