Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794278 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5580 on: August 08, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »

Finally updated to a new version and I'm sort of regretting it. I was never one for deathmobiles, but the extra tedium kills my interest even harder. Needing to wash filthy clothes but being locked into build washboard -> get soap as the process is obnoxious. The whole aiming system is obnoxious; even a complete novice should be able to hit something from a meter away without needing to spend the better part of a minute aiming. Weather being a constant chain between rain and snow, in combination with windchill, makes it a total pain in the ass to get anything done. Honestly I was trying to ignore the dev drama a few years back but this all just reeks of one person trying to force a bunch of anal-retentive realism into the game.

Guess the game agrees, since I rolled "Tomoko Dempsey" for my new char's name, so it's cyborg fistfighter time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5581 on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:16 pm »

I usually just turn the filthy clothes thing off. It may be realistic but it's bad game design and terribly boring

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »

Yeah, I turned it off, but that doesn't stop the tag from still showing up on zed clothes even though it has no effect.

It's a shame, too, because a lot of the additions over the years are actually quite nice, but there's been enough pointless anti-fun bullshit heaped on that I'm almost tempted to just revert.

3. Run Resize Enable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: August 09, 2018, 04:00:20 pm »

One thing that might help mitigate a little of the recent problems: https://github.com/chaosvolt/CDDA_Nonperishable_Overhaul

There's always been some edge cases and problems with how spoilage is passed from ingredient to product, and the "immortal but long-lasting food" overhaul made the problems with the system a lot more visible. The above mod is a stopgap via making most of the old non-perishable food truly non-perishable again.

To summarize:
1. Mere hours of time wasted for short-term ingredients can mean months lost
2. The above problem is not very realistic, the shelf life of most non-perishable foods (jerky is a classic example) is not as strongly affected by how fresh the ingredient is.
3. The "assume shelf life of poorly-stored goods" approach is only realistic (and only worth adding from a gameplay perspective) if proper packaging is something the player can do, which wasn't added. Root cellars aren't really an example of this, or at best only a partial example.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5584 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:06 pm »

Just had a nice run end because I guess my guy is just really bad at throwing grenades, because he threw it at a turret but instead hit the wall next to himself. Sigh

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: August 11, 2018, 03:55:12 pm »

I haven't really followed the game that closely in the past months, but after a quick skimming of GitHub it seems there are a lot of changes regarding animals. Would anyone be so kind as to summarise them?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: August 11, 2018, 04:41:42 pm »

One thing that might help mitigate a little of the recent problems: https://github.com/chaosvolt/CDDA_Nonperishable_Overhaul

There's always been some edge cases and problems with how spoilage is passed from ingredient to product, and the "immortal but long-lasting food" overhaul made the problems with the system a lot more visible. The above mod is a stopgap via making most of the old non-perishable food truly non-perishable again.

To summarize:
2. The above problem is not very realistic, the shelf life of most non-perishable foods (jerky is a classic example) is not as strongly affected by how fresh the ingredient is.
3. The "assume shelf life of poorly-stored goods" approach is only realistic (and only worth adding from a gameplay perspective) if proper packaging is something the player can do, which wasn't added. Root cellars aren't really an example of this, or at best only a partial example.
Very nice.

If people think that these changes are something of value, like it's a problem that an established player is no longer desperately replenishing their food supply, I can appreciate that. I just don't understand why realism needs to be applied in such a way that "fuck the player" is always priority #1. Why was the realism change of "faulty engines" so much more important than the realism change of "engines can be disassembled for parts?" Why is it damaging to realism that the player's jerky doesn't spoil but it's not damaging that they can't pickle mixed vegetables or use 3L jars and larger batches? 

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: August 11, 2018, 10:13:12 pm »

Haven't played CDDA in a LONG time due to numpad controls causing my fingers pain after a while. Are guns still worthless pieces of rubbish and melee weapons still way too good (to the point where it's better to slash a Hulk with a Katana rather than shoot him with .50 BMG or something), and are the devs still pushing "muh realism" changes that apparently 99% of the playerbase hates?

Are guns also still worthless at hitting stationary targets like turrets, even if you use precision aim? Are rifles still the only guns worth using because pistols/smgs are too pathetic?

Also, how are NPCs now?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5588 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:40 am »

Haven't played CDDA in a LONG time due to numpad controls causing my fingers pain after a while. Are guns still worthless pieces of rubbish and melee weapons still way too good (to the point where it's better to slash a Hulk with a Katana rather than shoot him with .50 BMG or something), and are the devs still pushing "muh realism" changes that apparently 99% of the playerbase hates?

Are guns also still worthless at hitting stationary targets like turrets, even if you use precision aim? Are rifles still the only guns worth using because pistols/smgs are too pathetic?

Also, how are NPCs now?
I can answer one question: Concerning melee, there's a stamina stat now. It regenerates continuously, is slowed by encumbered and general injury, and is consumed by movement, melee actions, and getting hurt I think. You can sprint, doubling your ground speed but draining stamina rapidly, and having low stamina massively penalizes your speed.
This means you can't solo a crowd of zombies past a single windowsill very well anymore as being forced to stay engaged with at least one zombie for far too long can run you right out of stamina.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: August 12, 2018, 07:24:34 am »

Guns have been overcorrected, once you have moderate skill.  You're still a hoplophobe at low skill levels (be prepared to aim for nearly a minute game time)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: August 12, 2018, 10:46:39 am »

To summarize:
Very nice.

If people think that these changes are something of value, like it's a problem that an established player is no longer desperately replenishing their food supply, I can appreciate that. I just don't understand why realism needs to be applied in such a way that "fuck the player" is always priority #1. Why was the realism change of "faulty engines" so much more important than the realism change of "engines can be disassembled for parts?" Why is it damaging to realism that the player's jerky doesn't spoil but it's not damaging that they can't pickle mixed vegetables or use 3L jars and larger batches?

Because Kevin has a hardon for pointless busywork-making "realism" and most folks don't challenge him much because he bans people for arguing with him.

3. Run Resize Enable

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5591 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17:47 pm »

To summarize:
Very nice.

Because Kevin has a hardon for pointless busywork-making "realism" and most folks don't challenge him much because he bans people for arguing with him.
And the same people aren't particularly interested in uniting behind a different fork, either.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: August 12, 2018, 01:43:44 pm »

Very nice.

Thank you. Hope someone gets some use out of it, yeah.

I'd already done a minor step in the general direction of making food preservation less hassle in MST Extra, via adding clay jars and a stab at the Appert process, but its scope is very limited at present. Nicolas Appert was evidently able to can goods like milk and other things that in-game you'd need a vacuum sealer for, but right now all I've done is allow the basic "canned X" recipes.

I would want to implement a wider range of canning if I was able to discern how the Appert process works for each sort of food that was historically preserved, and further figure out whether all the things that were canned would be not only doable for a player with limited access to modern canning, but moreover if they've be useful to the player from a gameplay perspective.

Canning milk is a good example, as milk is kinda not worth bothering with for most players. If you're in a city where you can get at the grocery stores, you likely would have a shot at scrounging up either a food dehydrator or (if modern-style milk canning was ever added) proper tools for canning liquids. Conversely, you'll likely never see any cattle in an innawoods run, and until they implement feral populations of escaped livestock trickling into the forest monstergroup (most logically they would be queued up to spawn a season or two into the cataclysm), being able to preserve milk innawoods won't be used very often.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: August 12, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »

Ultimately, I think it boils down to something along the lines of experienced players with coding ability trying to put a challenge into their own game using the code. I think it's great they are contributing, but I think that sometimes they are not allt he way coherent of other players who would prefer this not to be a problem.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:59 pm »

Ultimately, I think it boils down to something along the lines of experienced players with coding ability trying to put a challenge into their own game using the code. I think it's great they are contributing, but I think that sometimes they are not allt he way coherent of other players who would prefer this not to be a problem.
That's not it at all. Most of the people who've been involved with the project have made a lot of interesting, sensible changes. This tedious bullshit>gameplay quality is coming from a specific source, and it's explicitly not the bulk of the folks who've made meaningful contributions.

It's not like these things are hard. Filthy clothes, food that shouldn't rot rotting (and curing processes not affecting rot), the additional steps to vehicle construction, &c. do not meaningfully impact the core gameplay loop in any way beyond forcing players to spend more time repeating basic tasks. That's why they're disliked: because they drag players away from having fun to spend another week processing piles of supplies.

They're the video game equivalent of make-work. Endgame content is sparse, but instead of expanding that we get a bunch of time-wasting crap that seems expressly designed to stretch out the time required for initial build-up. It's not any harder to jump from spawning to having a secure base and supply cache, it just takes longer. I would fucking love to have proper endgame content expanded, because as it stands past a certain point there's very little danger beyond getting headshotted by a random M107 turret from outside your view range or something equivalent. When the game starts to get dull because you can have a hulk knock a building down on you, stab it to death, and walk away with a few bruises, the solution is not to make the midgame more tedious.

If you want to see me complaining about arbitrary difficulty, I can rant about the old bullshit with overnight lighting storms starting wildfires that made soaking wet New England forests look like California scrubland. There's a reason I still refuse to let my characters sleep outside of basements.

e:

And it's not even that I'm particularly opposed to more realism. What pisses me off is that most of these things aren't realism, they're just half-assed partial systems that use realism as an excuse for slowing down early/mid-game progress.

Take filthy clothes. An actual complete cleanliness system could be interesting. Have the outermost layer accumulate filth whenever it would be appropriate (getting puked on, smashing corpses, being wounded, dealing heavy damage in melee, &c.); if there's no clothing coverage, it goes right on the body. Reduce the rate of accumulation as Dodge increases. Tier the morale penalties so that direct skin contact is the worst and bulky outerwear is basically insignificant--getting covered in boomer bile while you're mostly naked is obviously more disconcerting than getting blood on your power armor when you go through a mob of zeds like a woodchipper through a pile of babies. Have different grades of filthiness based on how much you've picked up over time. Then, make cleaning make sense. Stand in the rain for a few minutes and you're good to go. Wash off with a jug of water anywhere, any time, to reduce how much crud is on you or remove smaller amounts of grime. Got soap? Good, you need less water and time for a given amount of cleaning. Add an additional pair of traits with a positive similar to masochist for enjoying the filth and a negative that worsens the penalties.

Instead it's a binary (was it on a zed y/n) that exists solely to make it take longer to get a set of pre-survivor suit clothes together. It does nothing after you hit your first clothing store. No penalties when you're mass-cutting them for raw materials. No penalties for eating a mountain of filthy clothes to power your bionics.

Or take car shit with the jacks and boom cranes. In abstract it makes sense for heavier/larger vehicles to need more dedicated equipment to service. In practice all these additions do is make it a total pain in the ass to build a proper deathmobile, ruining the fun of the folks who liked doing that. If you wanted to be realistic about it, you'd keep scaling things up. Let people build a whole goddamn scaffold like a land-drydock for their land-battleship, let them build fucking smoothbore cannons and mount them with an oversized crane like a modern-day ironclad. Let people use power armor to substitute for a crane or jack.

That's my peeve. All this shit is just splinters of systems that only exist to make people have less fun when they could be ways to make the game more immersive or to further expand the absurd, with realism as the excuse, when even actual realism approached from a position that's cognizant of how it has to mesh with the realities of good gameplay could make the game more difficult in organic ways, more immersive, and more supportive of diverse gameplay options.

I mean, hell, you wanna talk about realism? Know what's not goddamn realistic? Skill reading learn rates that let Joe Blow go from high school dropout to world-class multidisciplinary engineer/surgeon/sysadmin in a matter of days by skimming the contents of the local library. And guess what, the system stays because taking 10000+ in-game hours to learn one subset of those skills to that level would be intensely boring for no good reason.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:52:38 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 451