Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794489 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5700 on: August 29, 2018, 08:11:20 am »

I guess it shows how difficult it can be to manage open source projects when it relies entirely on unpaid contributors that are doing that on their spare time as trying to make sure nothing new breaks the work of other contributors can be difficult without hurting people's ego or at least willingness to contribute and leading into them leaving said project.

As i still play a very old version of CCDA (mostly due to it having saved game/world kept in only a few files), despite their very basic setup at the time of that version i grew fond of NPC, because even when there's the risk of a NPC trying to "help" you with his flamethrower :D when you're fighting in melee a zombie in that version, NPC is a big part of what makes the game more interesting for me.

Because they add a layer of narrative (self made or derivated from the NPC action) and gives you more goals in the game that (though it's more roleplay of my side as in the version i play NPC were still basic) improve vastly the interest of playing CDDA.

In my opinion, NPC should really be given the highest priority when there are multiple pull requests that conflict with work done on NPC with such PR staying on hold until they 'unbreak' what they broke on a NPC feature.
But again that's my opinion of what i enjoy the most in CDDA, i can understand that other people may not care about them, but i believe NPC are a pretty big part of the CDDA potential.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: August 29, 2018, 09:02:13 am »

Total agreement. I love NPC's. Most of the fun I've had in cataclysm has probably been due to NPC stuff despite how spartan they seem. I love finding one or two survivors raiding a library and sitting together in my poorly lit shelter teaching each other skills by oil lamp. I love putting together a few sets of armor and a suite of weapons so we have a sense of commonality. I love rolling into a new town in our mobile fortress, leaning on the horn, then stepping out and going all 300 on every zombie in the burg. I like hoarding serum so I can turn my gang into a group of mutants so diverse they could be on a college recruiting handbook. I like turning off all monsters cranking NPC spawn up to maximum and living in mad max.

NPC's rule.

I started playing again when firearms got buffed. I can't be bothered to start a vanilla character, level him up and play the way it has to be played. I usually make an "accomplished" character with all skills close to max, spawn me some equipment and a car and just have fun in the world fucking things up and giving me random goals with self imposed time limits and conditions. It's quite fun. Anyone else playing this way?

That can be a fun way to play. That was my typical playstyle for a while but I feel like it leads to very similar play styles. Starting off as a loser and needing whatever advantage you can get encourages things to get strange. Like starting near a river and avoiding infested cities by slapping a raft together or finding a pair of roller skates and zipping past most scary things.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:12:52 am by Broseph Stalin »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: August 29, 2018, 12:06:38 pm »

I also agree NPCs are awesome.

I actually liked the sound of the farming changes (very 'harvest moon') though I'm skeptical as to the economics of farming vs hunter/gathering in the sort of situation CATA envisions, its still a legit playstyle and one, I think, potentially popular with stuff like Stardew Valley out there. I did not actually try to use them yet, as I generally do hunter/gathering.

The only thing I wonder is - why the heck doesn't the game have Dwarf Fortress zones at this point?

Zone - farming. NPCS farm here. Zone - Sleep. NPCs sleep here. Zone - Patrol. NPCs patrol here. Zone, living - NPCs idle here. I mean, Toady One did it.

They have a way to set up a 'camp', but I have not used it in-game as it seems you can't use it with any pre-existing structure, and it assumes you have several NPCs living in a single tent in the middle of the woods, with a farming field nearby for some reason, which confuses me.  I usually set up in labs, or gas stations, or the like. (Heck, I know we'll never have NPC Survivors, but if we did, I'd totally bandit it up and charge absurd fees for guzzoline at a gas station for as long as the supply held out!)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: August 29, 2018, 12:28:48 pm »

NPCs were the only things keeping things like a swarm of zombies/giant insects/a Mi-go from killing me on day one, so I, too, would be grateful if they were prioritized.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: August 29, 2018, 03:01:43 pm »

Maybe a few months back I picked up Cata again, tried to shoot something, and had the bullet go like 90 degrees to the left of what I was pointing it at.  While aiming.  I heard guns were buffed, is this sort of nonsense still in?

Somewhat relatedly I was just sorta reminiscing about one of my favorite runs of Cataclysm, eons ago, before static spawn, when vehicles were still a mod.  A Hulk got jammed in the windshield of my mostly-totalled car and had beat me basically to the edge of death, when I remembered I had an MP5, which, even while untrained, I managed to magdump it into it, somehow getting off every shot until it died, without any gun skill, because it kept the thing stunned or something.  They were deadly panic buttons that were super constrained because of ammo, and because they were loud, they would call more trouble eventually, which was neat.

So like, y'know, that 90 degrees thing was super annoying, because I'd aimed the thing by just pointing a fingergun at the zombie while the gun dangled on the extended finger or something.  It was super weird and immersion breaking.  I think I still had the issue of 'literally cannot shoot zombie dogs and other small stuff' too, which was also aggravating?  I guess what I'm asking is 'are those particular things gone yet'.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: August 29, 2018, 03:23:16 pm »

Maybe a few months back I picked up Cata again, tried to shoot something, and had the bullet go like 90 degrees to the left of what I was pointing it at.  While aiming.  I heard guns were buffed, is this sort of nonsense still in?

Somewhat relatedly I was just sorta reminiscing about one of my favorite runs of Cataclysm, eons ago, before static spawn, when vehicles were still a mod.  A Hulk got jammed in the windshield of my mostly-totalled car and had beat me basically to the edge of death, when I remembered I had an MP5, which, even while untrained, I managed to magdump it into it, somehow getting off every shot until it died, without any gun skill, because it kept the thing stunned or something.  They were deadly panic buttons that were super constrained because of ammo, and because they were loud, they would call more trouble eventually, which was neat.

So like, y'know, that 90 degrees thing was super annoying, because I'd aimed the thing by just pointing a fingergun at the zombie while the gun dangled on the extended finger or something.  It was super weird and immersion breaking.  I think I still had the issue of 'literally cannot shoot zombie dogs and other small stuff' too, which was also aggravating?  I guess what I'm asking is 'are those particular things gone yet'.

I don't really use guns much, but throwing is basically impossible. I'm not even sure why throwing is a skill (instead of a function of dexterity) - but throwing things untrained basically means you can't throw even to 'average human norms'. For instance, I do a LOT LOT LOT of lab starts, and throwing matchbombs at the turret is basically impossible; I remember last year I never had a problem with it, but they pretty much move some random difference. I had a grenade once and it took me like five tries to get it farther then two squares.

The bigger issue was - I don't remember for sure how aiming USED to work, but as of the experimentals I'm currently on, you can't 'aim' outside of your field of view, so if you aim farther then a few squares, you have to 'zoom out' and then reaim. I don't know why they did that, I swear I don't think it used to be that way.

The game is still pretty fun though, IMO.

I mean, I'm hardly an expert, but thats my two cents.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: August 30, 2018, 06:38:52 pm »

Noticed this :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/25155
That apparently got merged.

Just in time i guess for me to finally give a try to a current build and so get a sound pack, as i remember how great sounds can be when they fit nicely in the Infra Arcana RL .
Seems like the most up to date sound pack is this one :
https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/cdda-soundpack/15329
This soundpack is based on ChestHole’s soundpack mixed with some RRFSounds, but with some new sounds, some replacements and cleanups to remove crackling, popping and poor looping. The music with rain embedded into them were replaced with new songs as well. This should fix the “it’s raining while it’s not raining bug”. I’ve also added gunfire sounds to all vanilla firearms (as of May 2018). I’ve added a bunch of new songs that match the overall tone of the songs included in the standard ChestHole’s soundpack (which originate from Vulkan’s soundpack).

To install just put the CDDA-Soundpack folder located in the downloaded zip to ...\yourCDDAdirectory\data\sound\
then in the Settings -> Options -> General scroll down , check that is Sound Enabled is set to True and change Basic to CDDA-Soundpack.

After toying around to try to learn the new and different things from the very old version of CDDA i'm still used to, i found this sound pack so far get well with the atmospheres, just maybe the steps are too loud for my taste, hopefully nothing simply editing the soundset.txt file can't fix. I like how the rain sound is slightly muted indoor and get back to normal outdoor

Currently busy to try to survive the Mall Cop scenario until i can explore more around :) i disabled the cloth rot and carrion spawning and enabled the dino mod to see what it does.
Still It looks like you really can't just sitdown and enjoy a meal.

and exiting the mall lead into a zombie dance party apparently

Running away from the horde didn't proved difficult as plain luck i had a forest close by.
But noticing a labrador dying from a moose attack reminded me of the mighty mooses of old versions.

I have no idea if mooses are still on a human murdering mission as they were in the past versions, but the guy sure is after me, i'm running as fast as i can but he's right on my track

So far it's good fun, not yet ran into interface or keypresses problem either, though maybe i should have increased the NPC spawn rate to help with providing some distraction to the horde in the mall so i could explore less dangerously :) .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:05:18 pm by Robsoie »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: August 30, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »

Robsoie, Scream and the moose will be intimidated to maybe run away or something.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: August 30, 2018, 09:45:23 pm »

Shift+C and select "Shout loudly!"

It's deterred moose before when I played.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: August 30, 2018, 09:46:44 pm »

It makes me soo happy that I am the one to standardize moose yelling.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: August 30, 2018, 09:51:38 pm »

A malevolence of Meese  (Meece? Mose? Mooses?) trembl before half naked man with the voice of an angel, a yelling angel
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: August 30, 2018, 09:55:09 pm »

Mercifully they haven't mainlined mooseseses being able to punt people into orbit. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: August 31, 2018, 12:26:54 am »

Tip on Mall Cop starts: The store to the left of the starting arcade has a nice little closet with a locker in the back, and it's somewhat protected from the conference room and entrance hordes, so you have time to craft in that closet.  If you do a ninja-ish start like me (I love my quick/light step/weak smell/night vision mall cops), then you can use the back hallways that connect stores to safely loot the mall without clearing the Z's out.  Camp out in the storage room of the store on the SE corner of the mall with all the furniture and it's a very cushy start, granted you'll have to live on vending machine food until you actually venture out.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: August 31, 2018, 12:41:49 am »

I thought malls were randomized the way cities were...

I mean, sure, malls may follow similar layouts, but surely they wouldn't have all the same shops in all the same places?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: August 31, 2018, 01:33:43 am »

Mercifully they haven't mainlined mooseseses being able to punt people into orbit. XP
If I knew how to code better . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 451