Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794332 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5790 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:41 pm »

snip'd

Thank you for the update, but you might want to edit that exchange out of your post, it might be seen as "inter-forum drama", which Toady has pretty conclusively ruled as 'not ok'.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:57:32 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: October 11, 2018, 10:14:33 pm »

Progress sems to be moving on. I reported on a bug and i am now technically part of the development, hurrah.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:31 am »

What would you say is the best tileset at the moment? I personally prefer playing in ascii, but tilesets are preferable when I stream since to some people ascii would be like staring through the matrix.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: October 12, 2018, 10:52:28 am »

What would you say is the best tileset at the moment? I personally prefer playing in ascii, but tilesets are preferable when I stream since to some people ascii would be like staring through the matrix.

Of the tilesets in the repo, the Xotto variantion of the MShock series is one of the most complete and still consistent in art style.

If you're willing to snag a third-party tileset, SomeDeadGuy has an even-more-frequently-maintain tileset based off that: https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/Cata-MSX-DeadPeopleTileset

As you'll see in the readme, it's also designed to be compatible with a flavor mod that allows you to change hair, skin, etc during character creation.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: October 12, 2018, 01:15:46 pm »

Alright, thanks for the tileset recommendations. I've got some more questions. I haven't played CDDA in 1-2 years. I stopped around the time they implemented nutrition and the more complex requirements for vehicle building. How's the nutrition system? On paper it looks like it's going to be hell to manage and keep up with needs, but in practice, how much of a pain is it? I kept hearing complaints that the game was becoming more and more of a hassle and less fun, was that true, did it change? I'm just like to know what to expect, am I gonna have to go read the wiki or the code base to figure the new and improved systems or is it straightforward?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:51 pm »

Last I've checked it hasn't really received much work in a while. Simplified Nutrition is still a default mod, and you still get scurvy within a week. Now that the default season length is 91 days, MAYBE rebalancing the buildup might happen, but I don't think anyone's really pushed for it.

Other than that, I don't know if the effects of these vitamin deficiencies have been implemented yet, or if they're still only in PK's Rebalancing. Would need to give it a test sometime, though I do know that Carnivore eliminates the need for vitamin C.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: October 12, 2018, 05:47:14 pm »

Thanks again. I think I've got only one more question at the moment and it's about butchering. I know it changed and I saw some complaints about it some time back in this thread. How does it work now?

Edit: I'm currently trying to figure out how to get SomeDeadGuy's tileset to work. The readme didn't touch on installation and simply dropping it in the mods folder didn't make it show up in the settings menu for tileset selection.
Edit2: think I got it. had to put one of the folders in the gfx folder
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:08:34 pm by Ygdrad »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: October 12, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »

Butchering has been basically set up to be fully sane now. Quick butchery is pretty much now old-style butchery, but you can't get CBMs from dead augmented monsters that way. Full butchery can also be done on smaller critters at will, is annoying to set up for larger ones, but returns much better yields (enough to make the hassle worth it).

Dissection is the only real thing that's mildly problematic, but I...THINK field dressing doesn't mess with it, so delaying the rot with it has additional use.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: October 12, 2018, 06:28:23 pm »

Butchering has been basically set up to be fully sane now. Quick butchery is pretty much now old-style butchery, but you can't get CBMs from dead augmented monsters that way. Full butchery can also be done on smaller critters at will, is annoying to set up for larger ones, but returns much better yields (enough to make the hassle worth it).

Dissection is the only real thing that's mildly problematic, but I...THINK field dressing doesn't mess with it, so delaying the rot with it has additional use.

Thanks. Do you happen to know about the character customization mod you mentioned? SomeDeadGuy's page had a link, I'm not sure if that's the customization mod or if it needs anything else. It also lacks instructions, the mods archive likely has to be extracted in the mods folder, but what about all those other loose files?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: October 12, 2018, 07:05:54 pm »

I use the tileset myself but not the customisation part so i can't help
https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/mshockxotto-tileset-new-thread/15330

My crossbow maniac character is still alive with his pal, probably because we left alone the part of the city in which we saw that murdering abomination that is a skeletal juggernaut.

After a NPC asked us to take care of some monstrosity (if it hasn't changed since the old version it's very likely a Jabberwock, so thanks for the mission but no :D ) i decided instead to go to the next town nearby (the Jabberwock is supposed to its north) to see if i would be more successful in finding food there or something to take out the juggernaut.

We left the base

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:08:25 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: October 13, 2018, 04:38:26 pm »

Got an interesting cdda session today.

Day 5 was good, i managed to find a working car and got 2 friendly NPC to serve as meatshield for my character help each other to survive, one that was friendly from the start and one that was persuaded i wasn't after him and was persuaded to get in my team.
2 successfull persuade rolls on a row :)

We explored a bit more of the city as the skeletal juggernaut was nowhere to be seen, killed a bunch of zombies to help with the house looting.
Even managed to get my hand on a hacksaw that allowed to finally cut those damned metal bars that were blocking every window of a gun store.
Only for a massive disapointement once in to see that said gun store had only a few gun part like a ironsight, a scope and some casings but no actual gun :/

Spend the remnant of the day to read a few books, then eat and drink because apparently in the cdda world reading is still making you very hungry and very thirsty .

After some good sleep, Day 6 started.
I thought it was time to refill my clean water stock, taking all the empty bottles mini-bottles and mini-glass bottles that are all only half a liter each (i wonder where are all the 3 liters big bottles in that world) to the small pool in front of a house near my main base.

Then moved to the shrubs, set them to fire and started the clean water craft -> move in empty container repetitive dance.

Such a repetitive process that i was preparing that it made me forget something rather important : fire like to spread on a random tile around when there's some grass

A pity considering there were some brazier nearby that i could have used as they don't spread fire, the oven was too far.

Anyways, it really didn't go smoothly

So in the end, horrible things happened but the day ended in a very good note.
Funnily the monster left a few rags behind, will be usefull to make the leg splints.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:45:35 pm by Robsoie »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: October 14, 2018, 07:25:54 am »

rags apparently may be able to be obtained from deconstructing beds, but after finding a bed in a house nearby i saw that it wasn't the case at all as deconstructing it led to 0 rags, so i took the blankets and decided to drag those home in order to see if with some cutting tool (as i had none) it would allow me to transform those blankets into the much needed rags.

You try smashing apart the bed? That might be the trick. (Been too long since I touched Cataclysm: DDA to say for certain)
Pretty sure it gives a bunch of rags too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: October 14, 2018, 07:57:10 am »

I didn't thought of simply smashing them, i disassembled them instead.
Maybe that's why it delivered no rags.

But once the big threat was removed and i was back to my base cutting the blankets did the trick, i had enough rags (along the other required items i already had in my stockpiles) to craft 2 leg splint (i had to butcher a bunch of zombie corpses just before in order to get the required survival skill to level 2 too as i just noticed when i was ready that the skill was still at 1)

And my character is now the proud owner of 2 leg splints, hopefully it will not take too many days to get those legs back online
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:04:16 am by Robsoie »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:49 am »

Yeah, smashing beds gives rags, taking it apart gives blankets worth more rags.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: October 14, 2018, 12:52:59 pm »

He hasnt made a knife yet.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 451