Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787465 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5835 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »

I dunno, it could be a fire alpaca too :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: October 24, 2018, 02:06:47 pm »

Can anyone think of a way to make a retractable blast shield for a car's windshield, that one could somehow raise from the inside? All I can think of is a line of doors on the bonnet, but that'd require leaving the car to open or close.

And for something completely different, has anyone found any use for USB drives with or without the various software?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: October 24, 2018, 02:24:48 pm »

the USB with hackpro can be used for a item that can render turrets and drones easier ot handle.
Medical and mic software are quest items for NPC's.
USBs themselves can be dissassembled for RAM sticks.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: October 24, 2018, 06:17:35 pm »

I don't know my thoughts on this game, but I do know the title screen is looking good.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: October 24, 2018, 07:48:15 pm »

Can anyone think of a way to make a retractable blast shield for a car's windshield, that one could somehow raise from the inside? All I can think of is a line of doors on the bonnet, but that'd require leaving the car to open or close.

And for something completely different, has anyone found any use for USB drives with or without the various software?
Does the blast shield have to be on the outside of the windshield?  For steel, ceramic, or other rigid materials, slipping a slatted sliding door in the roof is a possible option if it's inside, and it may be viable even if it needs to cover the glass: it can rest on rollers that can be used to push it forward until gravity drops it over the windshield.  You lose the ability to waterseal it, though, especially if it's outside and you physically need to move it from inside, and the rails on the outside may end up being unprotected depending on how you build it.  Likewise, for folks who have been in a car that predates power windows, they have crank handles for side doors that may be options for any such sliding door in the roof or hood: gears work as well as physically pushing the shield.  Strictly, depending on what you want it for, you may not even need rigid blast covers: blast curtains made out of ballistic fiber like these can provide lightweight protection as well, and if I recall, ballistic fiber is already in the game. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's in the game since I haven't played in a year or three, but ballistic glass might also be a straight option without any need for special armor. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:57:34 pm by Culise »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:31 pm »

So, my interest in this game has been piqued yet again, but I still can't figure out a way to survive past the first few days.

Especially since drinks now freeze in the cold. In spring (?).

Any tips on not dying to hordes, acquiring enough gear to avoid freezing, and other such tips?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:04 pm »

Any tips on not dying to hordes, acquiring enough gear to avoid freezing, and other such tips?
Cars are your friend. You'll need:
- a water-tight container. A plastic bottle or a gallon jug will do. Easy to find in kitchens;
- a rubber hose. Obtained from smashing a fridge with something heavy;
So a first house or a couple should leave you equipped with the tools. Avoid all combat; remember you can run. Keep checking outlying cars. Siphon fuel from those without wheels, batteries, keys, seats etc. Cars tend to be in a various states of disrepair, but it's usually just one thing, lack of fuel being one of them. When you have some fuel on you, getting a car is not that difficult. When you find one that works, drive it to another, and siphon more fuel. Now you are protected from the elements, and can kill shit if needed. Keep driving around, collecting easy to grab random shit, and upgrading your car. Armoured cars and Humvees are obvious choices.

Does the blast shield have to be on the outside of the windshield?  For steel, ceramic, or other rigid materials, slipping a slatted sliding door in the roof is a possible option if it's inside, and it may be viable even if it needs to cover the glass: it can rest on rollers that can be used to push it forward until gravity drops it over the windshield.  You lose the ability to waterseal it, though, especially if it's outside and you physically need to move it from inside, and the rails on the outside may end up being unprotected depending on how you build it.  Likewise, for folks who have been in a car that predates power windows, they have crank handles for side doors that may be options for any such sliding door in the roof or hood: gears work as well as physically pushing the shield.  Strictly, depending on what you want it for, you may not even need rigid blast covers: blast curtains made out of ballistic fiber like these can provide lightweight protection as well, and if I recall, ballistic fiber is already in the game.
I'm pretty sure none of those things are doable in the game. Maybe with some car-related mods, but I wouldn't know.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: October 25, 2018, 02:54:36 am »

You can put opaque doors on a line of frames in front of the windshields then put a door motor on the doors, so you can close and open them with the controls. Door motors need small electric motors.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:54 am »

There's something that is useful often found around the towns

For the freezing, before you're experienced with the game i suggest you play on an "eternal" summer to get comfortable with the game mechanics.
The possible cons of starting in summer may be that you may find less "normal" zombies and more though ones.

If you play on normal gameplay (and so have to face the freezing that spring give in cdda) a starting scenario that put you in a shelter, the lockers have blankets , you can wear blanket they're going to keep you warm (just make sure to not try to fight monsters while wearing it as cosplaying as a ghost is making moving difficult :D )

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: October 25, 2018, 12:07:10 pm »

I can't seem to pickup frozen water from toilets. Anyone got any clues how I can defrost it?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:20:03 pm by Altivera »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: October 25, 2018, 02:08:02 pm »

I can't seem to pickup frozen water from toilets. Anyone got any clues how I can defrost it?
Light the house on fire?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: October 25, 2018, 02:49:52 pm »

Dont think you can thaw it out. You can craft with it tho.

I hope someone plans on adding insulated or warmable vehicle tanks due to the wonders of frozen liquids.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: October 25, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »

Because i found a tent early i decided to toy around with the faction camp feature, and as i play with high random NPC spawn rate (i set it to 50 so i can encounter a NPC from time to time, with the default setting i nearly never find any, at 100 the NPC encounter rate is nearly the same as it was in old Cata versions)

Now some warning about the camp feature

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: October 25, 2018, 07:29:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure none of those things are doable in the game. Maybe with some car-related mods, but I wouldn't know.
My apologies; I didn't parse the context properly, and thought we were considering ideas for development.  That was my error.  Looks like King Zultan had a better idea for in-game. ^_^

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: October 27, 2018, 03:46:02 am »

You can put opaque doors on a line of frames in front of the windshields then put a door motor on the doors, so you can close and open them with the controls. Door motors need small electric motors.
Don't those only operate one door at a time? Or is it different for connected doors that open and close all adjacent doors at once?
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 451