Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795339 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6180 on: March 09, 2019, 11:16:18 am »

I was going to see if I could do something that looks like a real life power armour, like

What's cool about how sprites work in this is that I can make the power armour physically bigger as a sprite and still keep the hands in the same location so that it can hold objects.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: March 09, 2019, 11:26:44 am »

I could see that being what light power armour looks like.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: March 09, 2019, 01:45:09 pm »

Crysis power armor is rad. Um. Okay that's all I was gonna say.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: March 09, 2019, 02:42:37 pm »

Aesthetically it seems right to be something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a cyberpunk setting at base, so something similar to how homebrewed power armor in Shadowrun typically works seems right (where it's basically heavy combat armor with bionic addons and some sort of lifter frame/exoskeleton.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: March 09, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »

Something like that would be pretty close, I think, toned down just slightly. I want to make it look like something the actual US military might deploy, but probably along those aesthetic lines.

I have some ideas, I will see if I have time to draw tonight after finishing my barn update. (You can now find NPCs camped out in abandoned barns! Or will when this merges. It's not common but a decent bet.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: March 09, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »

In that vein, if you haven't seen it, you might want to check out the available footage of the Raytheon XOS. It's a bit old now, but it gives a good idea of where the mass of the underlying exoskeleton would likely be distributed (i.e. it's more likely to look bulky on the outside of the wearer's arms, on their back, &c. than the inside of their arms, the sides of their torso, &c.).

3. Run Resize Enable

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: March 10, 2019, 08:47:22 am »

wrong post

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: March 10, 2019, 08:51:23 am »

Mistaken thread? Is this meta or irony?
Love, scriver~

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:14 am »

In that vein, if you haven't seen it, you might want to check out the available footage of the Raytheon XOS. It's a bit old now, but it gives a good idea of where the mass of the underlying exoskeleton would likely be distributed (i.e. it's more likely to look bulky on the outside of the wearer's arms, on their back, &c. than the inside of their arms, the sides of their torso, &c.).
Yeah, I'm familiar with that, it's actually a pretty large source of inspiration!

About twenty PRs for mapgen stuff got merged last night, with massive changes to city spawning, tons of new buildings, and more. Two of my biggest contributions are that about 1/3 of basements now have hot water heaters, which spawn with clean water in them, and that about 1/4 of abandoned barns have holdout NPCs camped out in them, so if you're looking to start a camp they're a place to go. I'll be giving them some unique dialogue soon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:18:46 am by Erk »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: March 10, 2019, 03:32:04 pm »

where i have to install a tileset mod?

Since post was missed. I assume you mean the one that has been posted recently by Erk. You don't. Gotta wait for the artist(s) to finish it. There IS a download for the tileset, but its not usable in-game and it isn't finished anyway.

Or do you mean a general tileset? If so, then you just change what tileset you are using in one of the options menu. Personally, I'm enjoying Cata MSX (dead) people tileset. However. In the in-game menu it says (live) people or something like that, not dead.

(rest is not related to the quote)

As for the updates. As someone who didn't play older Cataclysm, I personally really enjoy Cata DDA. I played I think a couple months ago and had a great time, and got a lot of hours out of it in a short period. Its one of my favorite roguelikes that isn't dwarf fortress. Guess some people like the classic Cata DDA, but tbh, every game that has "evolved" has the fans of the "classic" period they prefer. A good example is World of Warcraft as it is today and the fanbase of WoW vanilla are two nearly completely different fanbases (though some vanilla players still play current WoW). But that is true for a lot of games that end up getting a lot of updates/changes. More so MMOs than other genres, since MMOs change the most over time. People don't tend to like change very much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: March 10, 2019, 04:50:25 pm »

About twenty PRs for mapgen stuff got merged last night, with massive changes to city spawning, tons of new buildings, and more. Two of my biggest contributions are that about 1/3 of basements now have hot water heaters, which spawn with clean water in them, and that about 1/4 of abandoned barns have holdout NPCs camped out in them, so if you're looking to start a camp they're a place to go. I'll be giving them some unique dialogue soon.

It's stuff like this that really makes me wish we could sync with individual prs without having to take the whole volume of updates. That's good QoL work.

I am concerned about increasing numbers of separate buildings in main. One thing I've noticed from playing with lots of additional building mods is that if you don't up city size to compensate, you end up with very few "key" buildings spawning relative to unmodded; you might have a city fill the better part of 3-4 map blocks and barely have a handful of things like hardware stores, libraries, gun shops, &c. It's almost the inverse problem of how you used to see stuff like cities where 70% of the non-house buildings were grocery stores or clothing stores.

Might be useful to have discrete variants of important buildings (as opposed to different layouts for the same one and in addition to what we sort of already have where certain types of building have a degree of loot pool overlap), with similar but distinct loot pools. So for hardware stores have the little local hardware store one-tiles, 2x2 and 3x3 home improvement stores (probably with gardening stuff in the latter).

It may be more realistic to have a city full of run-down houses and pointless commercial zoning that has nothing useful in post-apocalyptia, but from a gameplay perspective it's frustrating to have to search three large cities to find a hacksaw or good bag.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: March 10, 2019, 04:54:51 pm »

It's stuff like this that really makes me wish we could sync with individual prs without having to take the whole volume of updates. That's good QoL work.
My understanding is that's a primary feature of git (vs the MUCH easier SVN), but it obviously starts to fail once a project has progressed too far.  It only works if the line-by-line changes translate to various forks and still work properly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: March 10, 2019, 04:57:07 pm »

My understanding is that's a primary feature of git (vs the MUCH easier SVN), but it obviously starts to fail once a project has progressed too far.  It only works if the line-by-line changes translate to various forks and still work properly.

That's the issue. My most current version is months old, and I have no bloody clue what sort of dependencies any give pr might have. If it references something that was redefined in some other change, I have to go wading back to figure out what the hell that was from--and even if I find the right thing, that probably has other dependencies of its own.

My builds that are years old? Good lord no.

3. Run Resize Enable

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: March 10, 2019, 06:16:07 pm »

Have a PR that gets too old and you get stuck in "PR-Hell", where you get so many merge conflicts, people just abandon the PR.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: March 10, 2019, 10:06:33 pm »

Might be useful to have discrete variants of important buildings (as opposed to different layouts for the same one and in addition to what we sort of already have where certain types of building have a degree of loot pool overlap), with similar but distinct loot pools. So for hardware stores have the little local hardware store one-tiles, 2x2 and 3x3 home improvement stores (probably with gardening stuff in the latter).

It may be more realistic to have a city full of run-down houses and pointless commercial zoning that has nothing useful in post-apocalyptia, but from a gameplay perspective it's frustrating to have to search three large cities to find a hacksaw or good bag.

The main problem right now is that large cities in game are really quite tiny by real life standards. As we make building selection more real, the difference becomes more apparent.

The answer IMO is twofold. In the very near future, we add "city" biomes, an entire overmap a bit like a megacity in world settings, with much less space between centers and much less forest... About the same water though. We might put certain very large buildings like malls only in these biomes so that we didn't get small towns arising with just a mall and nothing else in the downtown area. This set-up would produce some weird looking mosaic map edges, but it would be good gameplay wise.

In the longer term, I've heard rumblings about integrating land use codes and things so that city layouts generate more or less like real life cities.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 451