Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795029 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6195 on: March 11, 2019, 05:17:33 am »

Might be useful to have discrete variants of important buildings (as opposed to different layouts for the same one and in addition to what we sort of already have where certain types of building have a degree of loot pool overlap), with similar but distinct loot pools. So for hardware stores have the little local hardware store one-tiles, 2x2 and 3x3 home improvement stores (probably with gardening stuff in the latter).

It may be more realistic to have a city full of run-down houses and pointless commercial zoning that has nothing useful in post-apocalyptia, but from a gameplay perspective it's frustrating to have to search three large cities to find a hacksaw or good bag.

The main problem right now is that large cities in game are really quite tiny by real life standards. As we make building selection more real, the difference becomes more apparent.

The answer IMO is twofold. In the very near future, we add "city" biomes, an entire overmap a bit like a megacity in world settings, with much less space between centers and much less forest... About the same water though. We might put certain very large buildings like malls only in these biomes so that we didn't get small towns arising with just a mall and nothing else in the downtown area. This set-up would produce some weird looking mosaic map edges, but it would be good gameplay wise.

In the longer term, I've heard rumblings about integrating land use codes and things so that city layouts generate more or less like real life cities.

You can already achieve that sort of effect by messing with your mapgen options -- sufficiently large city size and low enough distance between cities tends to make huge, sprawling cities. Issue is that a lot of the game's dynamics orient around the town/country edge dynamic. A lot of the basic conceits of the game just plain don't work when you're trying to deal with cities big enough to take multiple days to cross. Most of this is down to the constant interruption spam; it's impossible to do more than live hand-to-mouth in cities (as in, actually living in a city rather than venturing into them for stuff) just because you'll spend all your time skipping past noise interrupt spam.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:09 am »

Yaknow, it would really be nice if more roads connected, or if there where more connecting roads between nearby things. I think I understand most of the reasons why it isint a thing, but would still be nice.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: March 11, 2019, 08:40:13 am »

We might put certain very large buildings like malls only in these biomes so that we didn't get small towns arising with just a mall and nothing else in the downtown area.

but thats america

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: March 11, 2019, 11:31:44 am »

I'd like very big cities, but more importantly huge distances between them. They should be connected by motorways. Smaller towns should be connected by trunk roads and interconnected with trunk road network. Reason: I like road trips in zombie apocalypse games. :)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:52 pm »

It'd be nice to have several different biomes so that you can go all the way from urban to suburban to rural. Different natural biomes overlapping with the man-made ones as well. A mountainous biome working with z-levels would be sweet. Then a coastal biome and the ocean to the east.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:11 pm »

I'd like very big cities, but more importantly huge distances between them.

Wouldn't that just leave vast stretches of wilderness with nothing save animals, zombies, and natural terrain features? That doesn't exactly seem like a fun time. You'd be driving, maybe avoiding a bad stretch of road or stopping at a rest stop or whatnot to pick up supplies or investigate, but I can't help but think that would make things boring.

Unless, of course, there were to be small towns or smaller, non-city locations on those roads...

But what exactly about road trips do you like? Having been on a few in my life, I have to say the parts where you're on the road with little to amuse you but the radio and whatever electronics you brought along isn't really my own favorite part.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:24 pm »

I'm doing a dinosaur playthrough. I got rid of all zombies, but left robots, insects, animals and triffids. Think left one other group, but forgot what it was. Then I upped dinosaur spawn a lot and now have dinosaurs all over. I did make cities rarer and smaller, because its the dinopocalypse so there wouldn't be huge cities.

Starting off good though. I built a decent sized cabin, which took many game days to build. And a dino came and attacked me in middle of building the walls, and I almost died, but then it got distracted by one of the herbivore dinosaurs and a swarm of wasps. But I found that outrunning dinos is not a thing :P But I setup near a river so I can fish, and I have trees nearby for lumber.

As for the wasps, I went to their hive and set it afire. Now they are crispy wasps.

But its a fun playthrough. Its different than the typical playthrough of cataclysm, and all the dinos everywhere are cool. I did have to edit the dino mod quite a bit. I had to add the dinos to forest/swamp biomes inside the json file. Otherwise nothing spawned barely except trex and the other two carnivores that come with the mod, but barely had any other dinosaurs around. And forest biome wasn't even included in the dino mod, so I had to add that in.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: March 11, 2019, 05:12:10 pm »

Wouldn't that just leave vast stretches of wilderness with nothing save animals, zombies, and natural terrain features? That doesn't exactly seem like a fun time. You'd be driving, maybe avoiding a bad stretch of road or stopping at a rest stop or whatnot to pick up supplies or investigate, but I can't help but think that would make things boring.

Unless, of course, there were to be small towns or smaller, non-city locations on those roads...

But what exactly about road trips do you like? Having been on a few in my life, I have to say the parts where you're on the road with little to amuse you but the radio and whatever electronics you brought along isn't really my own favorite part.

That's where all these new rural buildings (still mostly in mods) are meant to come in. You should have at least 1-2 cabins/LMOE shelters/barns/farms/boat sheds/bunkers/more exotic stuff/&c. in any given rural map tile. Enough that there's always something that isn't virgin wilderness within an hour's walk or so. Which, honestly, isn't that unrealistic for most of New England. You're only going to see vast expanses of untouched land west of the Appalachians.

3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: March 11, 2019, 06:16:45 pm »

Well, the stuff ralreegorganon and Kevin and others have been discussing should be right up your alley, Kulik. If we add a city biome it'll be accompanied by rural biomes, so there'd be wide expanses of wilderness with small towns and occasional large cities. Then it's just a matter of continuing the constant addition of content to keep those areas interesting... Weird cults, ranches, secret labs and military bases, crazy tourist stops, and more.

Roads are something we're aware needs work, I think there are a few ideas for them, but it's all code stuff so it's a bit out of my league.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:14 pm »

Biomes, huh?
I'm just hoping that I'll run into a big fat military base some day. (Don't tell me if they're already in the game. I like surprises.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The whole shebang. Lore, mysteries, armories, vehicles, underground portions. Mmmmm. Tasty.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:31 pm »

Seriously gimme an appalachia biome though. I like mountains.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:40 am »

That's where all these new rural buildings (still mostly in mods) are meant to come in. You should have at least 1-2 cabins/LMOE shelters/barns/farms/boat sheds/bunkers/more exotic stuff/&c. in any given rural map tile. Enough that there's always something that isn't virgin wilderness within an hour's walk or so. Which, honestly, isn't that unrealistic for most of New England. You're only going to see vast expanses of untouched land west of the Appalachians.

In every time?
Love, scriver~

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: March 12, 2019, 03:28:46 am »

Seriously gimme an appalachia biome though. I like mountains.

mountain biome expansion would be nice (mechanics - content etc)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: March 12, 2019, 05:24:39 am »

In every time?

What do you mean?

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: March 12, 2019, 05:27:03 am »

If you mean "in every time period" scriver, post 1700s, yes, there will be shit everywhere in new england.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 451