Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795102 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6315 on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:10 am »

I do, every day. I drink like five litres of water in the morning.
That's... a lot.  That much thirst might be a symptom of diabetes.   I drink about 2-3 liters per day depending on what I'm eating (food can provide a surprising amount of hydration, or dehydrate of course).  I always keep a liter bottle nearby though, most people probably hydrate less than me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:47 am »

Well it was hyperbole, but I do usually gulp down 30-60 cl water.

And while I am likely in the danger zone, I am not yet diabetic, at least not according to blood tests. If one can see that on those. Otherwise I might be. But my legs haven't fallen off yet!
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: April 10, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »

Running for your life 24/7 probably makes you burn more energy.
Not entirely certain, since I'm not them, but only run if I actually have to escape, not anywhere near 24/7, not even when I'm inside the cities.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: April 10, 2019, 04:03:09 pm »

Yea I never really ran that much when playing cataclysm either.  I imagine my character when looting towns going at a brisk walk in most situations, and a casual stroll in some.  If I ever use that run button it means a mistake was made.  And even in a lot of those I kinda figure it's more like a jog than an actual sprint since most of the zombies are not really fast enough to require running at top speed.

We try to conserve our energy.  A survivor that's been around awhile probably has a good idea of the threat level of different situations.  A survivor in a set of full leather armor and a nailbat is probably going to be walking around casually as long as there isn't anything much more threatening than a few normal zeds 30 tiles away.  Even actively fighting them they would probably be very efficient with their positioning and motions and make very few fast motions outside of the actual weapon swings as long as it was not a particularly threatening enemy.  I'm not so much saying they would be careless, but more methodical.

It's like a herd of antelope when they see a lion.  Anyone who has seen an African nature documentary can see that they don't all run away the moment they see a lion.  They may conspicuously begin foraging in a different direction, but only when the lion starts running or gets close is it a big enough threat to start expending energy.

EDIT: I feel I should verify I am talking in city loot runs.  The threats outside of cities are uncommon enough that I imagine a survivor would be on edge and expending energy just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:07:28 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: April 10, 2019, 10:49:59 pm »

I'm not so much saying they would be careless, but more methodical.
Still puts you on edge. Burns more energy.
Running for your life 24/7 was an exaggeration but not by much. Everything is hell. Safety is temporary.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:05 pm »

Okay, will take a look. I'm not super sad about restarting my current bleeding-out near-dead adventure

Try editing worldoptions.json in your save, there's

"RANDOM_NPC","value":"true"

and

"NPC_DENSITY","value":"0.10"

Change the last one to something higher. 1.0 used to be the default, but some people complained it was too much.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: April 11, 2019, 11:39:54 am »

Until a few days ago, NPCs were turned off by default. Now that AI is rudimentary functional, we switched em on a few days ago. Although dynamic NPCs are still off by default into Kevin finishes adding basic goal oriented behaviour for them. However, with statics turned on there are a number of recruitable NPCs scattered around the world including the one that starts with you in most of the scenarios.

Scriver: thirst is a bit messed up right now, it takes a little while to register after you take a drink. That's going to be fixed soon, it's an unexpected side effect of adding a digestion system.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:38 am »

Yeah. Decreasingly sure why you'd want to though, especially static NPCs that mostly just exist to give you quests.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: April 13, 2019, 03:29:52 am »

Yeah. Decreasingly sure why you'd want to though, especially static NPCs that mostly just exist to give you quests.

how about a trading system of sorts, just bartering of items to start with but it could have possible gameplay options later on

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6325 on: April 14, 2019, 07:15:13 am »

Even without whatever goal behavior is going to be added, I've found random NPCs to be useful. They distract zombies and often are far louder than I would be, letting me slip by mostly unnoticed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: April 14, 2019, 09:46:44 am »

Anybody else having an issue with the interface being offset?  Like when I aim a gun the aim indicator acts as if my character is like ten tiles to the right of me.  It still works the same, if a zombie's five tiles south then I aim five tiles south from the offset position and it'll shoot normally.  It's just really distracting. 
Shoes...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:17 am »

It is rather jarring how the thing works now, but I havent had any significant issues with it past the general concept.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: April 14, 2019, 01:44:50 pm »

Even without whatever goal behavior is going to be added, I've found random NPCs to be useful. They distract zombies and often are far louder than I would be, letting me slip by mostly unnoticed.

Plus when they die, I can loot their stuff.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: April 14, 2019, 03:15:10 pm »

Running for your life 24/7 probably makes you burn more energy.
Not entirely certain, since I'm not them, but only run if I actually have to escape, not anywhere near 24/7, not even when I'm inside the cities.
Default movement speed had been assumed to be jogging since some point in 0.B Experimental, iirc. That's why running only doubled speed when it was introduced instead of tripling it.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 451