Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794271 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6405 on: May 22, 2019, 05:54:45 am »

... why would someone make a bot that makes hundreds of commits, as often as hourly, and tags every one of them separately (instead of using the commit hash ::))?
Basically makes the tag system pointless.

I'll let the reader decide what the intent was, but I know what I think of it isn't positive.

its merely an organisation and UI thing, the project still moves quite rapidly and bugs and imbalances will probably get addressed later on

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: May 22, 2019, 09:26:07 am »

How very helpful. Anyways, here goes compiled 0.C. I don't have any idea what is needed or not in the folder, but it appears to be working fine.
All the old versions are still available through github and always will be, and probably circulate in various places on the internet. I don't really know why you'd play 0.C over 0.D, I've played it and it's really not as good.
Speed, mostly. The experimentals leading up to 0.D increased the duration of freezing when sleeping every couple of dozen updates until it was an intolerable 10 minutes of freezing if you had the gall to sleep for more than 4 hours at a time.
If nothing else. As it turned out, even walking around in newer versions with all the mods (the one linked before) takes infuriatingly long time for me, especially if compared to 0.C.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:28:27 am by MCreeper »

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: May 22, 2019, 09:43:10 am »

God there must be a lot of new content since I played this last...

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:02 am »

Probably, there's a lot of new content since I played it last and it's only been about three weeks since I had time for a good playthrough.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: May 23, 2019, 01:28:18 pm »

Re: the lag.
I run on a potato and recently yes, the lag got unbearable, especially in areas where I was hoarding a lot of items, or there were NPCs present
In last 2 weeks there have been a lot of changes to address that.

Items that rot were checking the weather constantly and not caching the results ( as far as I understand it ), and now that is fixed.
This profiling led to further discoveries of various code bits that were not optimized, and further PRs to address it.

Previously in my savegame, when waiting, an hour took around 40 in real life seconds to pass ( with thousands of food items nearby )
Now it takes around 9 seconds.

NPCs AI is being addressed too, its a situation that although the new system will be more complex, it will also be faster due to not being a patchwork of things that NPC AI currently is, where they can get into loops and check if they want to move 20 times a turn.

Crafting time passing is currently needing some optimization too, that slows down hugely, and recent flood-fill crafting component search improved that.

I've not compared current performance to 0.C, though I suspect recently it's not a huge difference.

On current experimental version my dual-core 1.5ghz 4GB RAM little laptop, it runs fine.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: May 23, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »

Are other z levels still out of the time bubble?
that was something that irked me a bit, climb down a ladder, see a bunch of hostiles, drop a grenade and boost back up the ladder...
and nothing happens, so you go back down and get blown up by own grenade.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: May 24, 2019, 04:14:12 am »

Sometimes zombies fall down from windows on the floor above you so I don't think so.

I've also entered basements to see enemies of different types having already killed each other there.
Love, scriver~

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: May 24, 2019, 04:18:16 am »

If you have z-levels enabled in options, then the reality bubble extends up and down also.
And time will pass there.
So if that grenade thing is happening, you need to enable z-levels in options, this can sometimes require a beefier computer. ( depending if you are walking above an underground ants nest or something and theres 1000 monsters to calculate beneath your z-level )

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:29 am »

I remember there being a very old bug with z-levels where zombies and such could attack you through the floor or ceiling.  I assume that bug has been fixed? 

Also hearing about roofs being added to buildings may be enough to give it another try.  Even though I knew I didn't have to do it, just knowing that I could overcome most locked up rooms by climbing the walls and just tanking a bit of damage on the other side ruined a bit of immersion.  It was just always something that snuck into my head when trying to find a way into a building.

A gun store, hmm.  I could try to find a semi functional car and ram into the wall with it to get in, or I could try to find something to cut the bars, or I could find a sledgehammer and smack the wall for an hour or so....   Or I could just climb the damn wall in the alleyway and bandage up a bit after I drop down through the nonexistant roof.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: May 24, 2019, 08:23:14 am »

I'm pretty sure it has been, since I haven't noticed it in the save I'm running with z-levels on.

I admit, I left them off for a long time just because of how buggy and exploitable the implementation was.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: May 24, 2019, 04:13:54 pm »

I remember there being a very old bug with z-levels where zombies and such could attack you through the floor or ceiling.  I assume that bug has been fixed? 

Still a problem if you turn debug 3D vision on, but not a bug in z-levels on their own.

What is a known bug with z-levels alone, last I checked, is that flying monsters can magic through roofs that only exist if specified through an entry in the terrain JSON. i.e. if surface level of a building has t_floor, and the building has no explicit roof om_terrain above it, it'll be set to automatically populate the space over that t_floor with its preferred roof (t_flat_roof or t_roof_flat I think, forgot the exact ID), and it'll work but flying monsters will somehow floop through it despite being blocked if the roof was laid out explicitly as a separate om_terrain.

Unrelated: skylights (t_glass_roof) and weird and hacky because the only way to let light in through terrain is with the NO_FLOOR flag, so that means it counts as open air for any monster to fall/fly through (without breaking the glass, mind). Only reason it doesn't also let rain in is because it also has the INDOORS flag.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:30 pm »

Darn so no climbing into a 2 story building with a .50 cal rifle and popping random heads at ground level through a window then*, that always was the biggest thing that hyped me for z levels.  Still gunna give the game another go see how it plays out.

* Hi NSA I'm on your watchlist again I bet yer tired of seeing me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: May 24, 2019, 06:57:04 pm »

In my experience, things attacking through z-levels and doing anything besides cluttering screens are ranged things, which waste their ammo on the roof/floor. So yer plan is, indeed, possible, particularly as there are alot of new multi-level buildings supplementing or replacing the oldies.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: May 25, 2019, 01:02:04 am »

That's actually a possibility, because forums like this can be used by people to mask their real activities.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: May 25, 2019, 01:23:08 pm »

Darn so no climbing into a 2 story building with a .50 cal rifle and popping random heads at ground level through a window then*, that always was the biggest thing that hyped me for z levels.  Still gunna give the game another go see how it plays out.

Keyword there is "yet". This is very much a goal.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 451