Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794706 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6450 on: June 28, 2019, 02:52:45 pm »

I'm guessing they were asking why it never would be?
Answer being Player-AI isn't in the scope of the game.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: June 28, 2019, 06:54:54 pm »

discovered today that that i could full butcher on tables rather then having to make a rack or get a rope and a tree or build a rack next to my table, rendering much time retroactively wasted. good eating on a dinosaur. either the wording on full butchery is misleading or i'm just an idiot

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: June 28, 2019, 07:43:08 pm »

So far just for walking, and not really recommended for exploring new turf (nor will it ever be).

Why not?
It might walk you through something you'd rather not walk through, I'd imagine

Pretty much number #1 cause of death for me in ADoM, and several other roguelikes - w-<direction> through an unexplored hallway into room filled with quick painful death.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: June 28, 2019, 08:01:33 pm »

discovered today that that i could full butcher on tables rather then having to make a rack or get a rope and a tree or build a rack next to my table, rendering much time retroactively wasted. good eating on a dinosaur. either the wording on full butchery is misleading or i'm just an idiot
Someone decided to change butchery again, I guess. It told me that it couldn't find the corpse after draining my stamina and wasting my time while the body remained untouched at my feet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:07:10 pm by duckman »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:58 pm »

Safe mode would probably save you from anything overtly threatening like zombies or whatnot. I'm not sure if I'd trust it to keep an eye out for things like hunger, thirst, and temperature though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6455 on: June 28, 2019, 11:04:59 pm »

So far just for walking, and not really recommended for exploring new turf (nor will it ever be).

Why not?
It might walk you through something you'd rather not walk through, I'd imagine

Pretty much number #1 cause of death for me in ADoM, and several other roguelikes - w-<direction> through an unexplored hallway into room filled with quick painful death.
My last one was going down a stair to find 6 orcs and a priest, followed by being smited by said priest.

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: June 29, 2019, 07:13:37 am »

There is work on a vehicle based autopilot as well, far in future

Not so far in the future, I've almost finished it.

It's pretty dumb, it freaks out and stops at the merest hint of an obstacle in the road, is restricted to roads, and very long deathmobiles may cause it to get confused and smash into trees when it tries to turn a corner.

But.... for a first pass dumb autodrive feature, it still has utility in a scenario like.... say you got a long route from your base to a town via the roads, and you know the roads are clear of obstacles, instead of constantly driving back and forth , you could engage the auto-drive.

It just be a bit risky and experimental for the time being..... but it still has a use-case.

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: June 29, 2019, 07:15:18 am »

Safe mode would probably save you from anything overtly threatening like zombies or whatnot. I'm not sure if I'd trust it to keep an eye out for things like hunger, thirst, and temperature though.

It respects safe mode interruptions like other activities.

So .. if things like temperature hunger or tiredness or whatever interrupt any other activity, itll also prompt to stop the activity of travelling, same for spotting monsters..

It's fairly safe... but ya never know, this is Cataclysm , it *will* throw unexpected crap at any new thing you implement.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:25:01 am by dpwb »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:45 pm »

My reasonable guess is that the most likely thing that'll be problematic to auto-drive past will be the main thing that's a threat in safe mode normally: enemies with ranged attacks and/or high speed, especially if they were in defilade before being revealed, therefore bypassing the normal expectation that you'd see them before they can be dangerously close.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: June 29, 2019, 10:57:08 pm »

Man, towns suck.  Either its day and you aggro half the town just by existing, or its night and you can't see past your nose and you aggro every shade zomb just by existing.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: June 30, 2019, 01:56:28 pm »

Heh. Nightvision is almost a must-have for all my non-challenge builds.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: June 30, 2019, 06:22:39 pm »

Heh. Nightvision is almost a must-have for all my non-challenge builds.

For night raids admittedly, shady zombies will still see you well before you see them, making Night Vision more for convenience in my opinion.

The secret to day raids is largely to circle around the edge of the city, not piercing too deep until you're reasonably confident that everything nearby has been dealt with. That keeps the between you and the horde, reducing how many are liable to spot you, and when you see down the street almost everything there will be too far away to see you anyway.

If you do attract something you can't handle, you have options. You can cut through a house you've already cleared to bog them down and break line of sight, or you can back right off from the city directly. If there's nothing but open fields at the city's edge then you can easily leg it until your followers are too far away and start dispersing, but cutting into forest/swamp/etc is more likely to stop faster threats from chasing you down. The catch there is that anything in there already is almost as likely to catch you off-guard as indoor enemies, though that's still useful if you can bait your pursuers into fighting them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: July 01, 2019, 07:31:12 am »

I thought the secret of day raids was a Deathmobile MK 2000.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:11 am »

I tend to set house on fire way too often...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: July 01, 2019, 11:10:44 am »

that's part of the challenge (specially if you're starting inside and its megacity map). but yeah, you're supposed to approach carefully, perhaps bait some of them at a time until you clear the path.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 451