Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795092 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6465 on: July 01, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »

that's part of the challenge (specially if you're starting inside and its megacity map). but yeah, you're supposed to approach carefully, perhaps bait some of them at a time until you clear the path.

You're saying in order to survive, I have to become a master baiter?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: July 01, 2019, 03:22:40 pm »

I tend to set house on fire way too often...

Setting a house on fire is a good strategy too. The noise attracts the Z's who then get cremated.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: July 02, 2019, 10:42:11 am »

Got back into this after not playing for a few years. After a few characters I decided to run the lab challenge.

I walked outside my room, killed the zombie brute that was there, then the wall exploded and I got killed by a giant naked molerat.

Well then.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: July 05, 2019, 11:22:05 am »

I guess someone decided that they didn't like that stone spears could be crafted and obsoleted the recipe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: July 05, 2019, 11:40:21 am »

I guess someone decided that they didn't like that stone spears could be crafted and obsoleted the recipe.

You sure it isn't just because stone spears have basically always been in More Survival Tools? You might've just forgot to add it to your worldlist...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: July 05, 2019, 12:41:26 pm »

You sure it isn't just because stone spears have basically always been in More Survival Tools? You might've just forgot to add it to your worldlist...

just from memory of latest patches and the item browser. the Stone Spear was obseleted apparently, and there doesnt seem to be included in the More Survival Tools. players now have a Wooden Spear which is more than enough to last until you get to metals.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: July 05, 2019, 02:42:51 pm »

Why must people go breaking my old mods all the time... ;~;

EDIT: No, it's in vanilla now. Maybe the recipe has been made higher-level?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:59:19 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: July 05, 2019, 03:22:14 pm »

Why must people go breaking my old mods all the time... ;~;

EDIT: No, it's in vanilla now. Maybe the recipe has been made higher-level?
Code: [Select]
{    "type": "recipe",    "result": "spear_stone",    "obsolete": true  }Changing true to false adds a recipe that uses no materials, since the only instance of the recipe in the code is now this stripped down "In need of revision/review" version. The stone spear itself still exists, but you can only get it by choosing a starting profession that has one or by debugging it in.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: July 05, 2019, 03:41:41 pm »

Oh wow. That's, er...pretty stupid. Totally makes sense that flintknapping would be completely impossible for humans. It's not like humans haven't been flintknapping for a stupidly long time.

And it's not like they couldn't have just upped the skill requirement, or even made it booklearn-only if they were really that hellbent on making it inaccessible. I'd hope that maybe it'll be re-added if they ever separate rocks into knappable vs. non-knappable, but I have my doubts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: July 05, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »

They seem to be in a phase of re-simplifying things after all those complicating realism changes. I mean, someone proposed diversifying the types of meat a few days ago and Kevin said it sounded unnecessarily complicated. I recall them saying something similar about advanced nutrition, so I expect more meat and the division of insect meat into its own thing at some point in the next two years when Kevin flops back over to thinking that more variety is needed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: July 05, 2019, 04:59:23 pm »

They seem to be in a phase of re-simplifying things after all those complicating realism changes. I mean, someone proposed diversifying the types of meat a few days ago and Kevin said it sounded unnecessarily complicated. I recall them saying something similar about advanced nutrition, so I expect more meat and the division of insect meat into its own thing at some point in the next two years when Kevin flops back over to thinking that more variety is needed.

I thought the meme was that realism and complexity get Kevin interested when it screws with the player. More meat variety is just busywork for the contributors that doesn't do anything except add flavor to the game, especially as the nutritional variation of meat is rather less interesting than how plant food sources vary.

Cut to guns being varied as all hell, which some people cite as an example of the meme but mostly gets support because gun nerfs like me like to see all sorts of fun crazy firearms represented, with any "shit I found all this ammo and nothing I can use" being a common side effect rather than a deliberate way to screw with the player.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6476 on: July 05, 2019, 05:03:43 pm »

Oh wow. That's, er...pretty stupid. Totally makes sense that flintknapping would be completely impossible for humans. It's not like humans haven't been flintknapping for a stupidly long time.
To be fair, stone edges in a world of readily accessible processed iron, are completely pointless. Even a crudely shaped and sharpened scrap of steel will be better for spear related purposes than anything stone. (The only exception I can come up with is if the only thing you have available is some ultra-brittle alloy that's simply too high on the hardness scale to be sharpened, which is pretty out there.)
Yes, it would mildly hamper a survivor that not only is determined to be entirely woods-based, but also starts no where near any urban structure. Considering how many other things such a situation would cut off, while not being entirely invalid, it does seems a very niche and inconsequential situation to increase complexity over.

I do hope that the devs don't go extreme in either the simplification or complication side of things, but this one seems entirely benign.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: July 05, 2019, 05:14:53 pm »

Problem is we don't have any metal spears that fill this niche in terms of gameplay. The knife spear USED to be this, but it got nerfed to hell and back and it's now solidly the "some moron taped a spike to a stick" design that no sane person would make. We don't have anything comparable to a properly-made hafted spear, which would realistically require basically the knife spear's current requirements plus access to cutting quality and a level or two extra skill.

The halfpike comes close, it's more like a makeshift version of a socketed spear, with all the skill demands this implies. But it also suffers from having the word "pike" in its name and therefore being even shittier than normal spears, to the point where its main competitor is the WOODEN spear, not the steel spear.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: July 06, 2019, 11:14:29 am »

yeah, what's the point of having a wilderness survival option if the player cannot do the proper technological progression from stone tools to metals? sometimes you spawn directly in the middle of nowhere so there's scenarios where you wont find a vehicle or wreckage from which to cheese up the progression ladder.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: July 07, 2019, 02:56:38 pm »

Problem is we don't have any metal spears that fill this niche in terms of gameplay. The knife spear USED to be this, but it got nerfed to hell and back and it's now solidly the "some moron taped a spike to a stick" design that no sane person would make. We don't have anything comparable to a properly-made hafted spear, which would realistically require basically the knife spear's current requirements plus access to cutting quality and a level or two extra skill.

The halfpike comes close, it's more like a makeshift version of a socketed spear, with all the skill demands this implies. But it also suffers from having the word "pike" in its name and therefore being even shittier than normal spears, to the point where its main competitor is the WOODEN spear, not the steel spear.
Are pikes just automatically bad in C:DDA?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 451