Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794906 times)

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6630 on: August 30, 2019, 12:36:59 pm »

I think it's just battery powered tools for now. See power_draw.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:09 pm »

Also I just thought you wanted to know

But I am currently exploring the region of Elephant Butte

It's a pretty large area
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: August 30, 2019, 04:32:47 pm »

Also I just thought you wanted to know

But I am currently exploring the region of Elephant Butte

It's a pretty large area

Lots of dudes there, I bet!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: August 30, 2019, 10:20:32 pm »

Penetrated deep into the Elephant Butte?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: September 01, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »

There's been another update to turrets. Anti-material turrets now use a M2 Browning HMG and the rifle turret has been turned into an unmanned CROWS system using a M249 MG. They give a 50 volume warning of "Hostile Detected" on spotting a target and it seems like there's a timer before they actually fire too.

Poor Hearing on a character is much more dangerous now. Personally, I think the volume should be adjusted to cover Poor Hearing if they're going for realism for legal liability reasons.

Edit: Seems like the teleporting refugee/guard issue is still happening. They can't fix it if they aren't able to replicate the issue to see what's happening in the code though, so that's probably going to to be a thing for a while longer.

Edit 2: Have they done something about the player owning 148+ different vehicles yet or do you still own every car you happen to loot a bag of chips from?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:59:07 pm by duckman »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: September 11, 2019, 09:23:09 pm »

in a post civilisation world you can own as many vechiles as u want, cause well there aint many people left

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: September 12, 2019, 02:42:14 am »

You wouldn't take chips from someone else's car, would you? That would be theft. Therefore, any car that you loot is necessarily yours.

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:17 am »

Edit 2: Have they done something about the player owning 148+ different vehicles yet or do you still own every car you happen to loot a bag of chips from?

Well tbh, the player owning a vehicle dosnt mean much currently, as NPCs cant steal cars.
The only alternative to "I touched it, therefore I own it now" is to explicitly "claim ownership" of a vehicle through a menu option, which could be annoying, if we restricted ownership to those vehicles you'd only started the engine on for example, then that would exclude engine-less draggable "vehicles" and other annoying niche cases.

When vehicle ownership starts having more meaning, I may refine the point at which ownership applies.

To keep you guys updated on whats happening elsewhere in the code :-
NPCs can now do a lot more, can be ordered to do various tasks for you, this is another step in a lot of future plans for NPCs/factions.
Working on flying vehicles like helicopters/planes/hot air balloons.
The actual implementation of which will probably be that actually getting something running and flying will be very difficult, possibly dangerous, possibly not worth the effort, and maybe impossible for someone who dosnt start as a pilot profession.

However, I'm sure mods that don't take realism as seriously will make more expansive use of the framework, so that people can fly around as much as they want.

I also enabled NPCs riding horses, and animal-drawn vehicles following you when you whistle.

By the way, when coding a vehicle to follow the player, I soon learned the lesson of setting a minimum safe distance, during testing, an autopilot wheelchair, kept following the player and crashing into them, until they died.

https://gfycat.com/brightenormousdutchshepherddog

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:37:16 am by dpwb »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: September 12, 2019, 12:18:50 pm »

When you didn't think this game had it all yet... Death by robo-wheelchair.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: September 12, 2019, 01:35:48 pm »

I didn't know having vehicles move without player input was even remotely possible!
How close are we to having tank drones that are actual tanks instead of creatures?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:19 pm »

Personally I'd like anyone to be able to try to make a flying machine, but of course actually piloting it would be difficult. Perhaps a piloting skill that gets bonus learning from a pilot profession. Unlike driving where effect is minimal, 0 piloting trying to fly a jet very likely means you crash the fucker before it even gets off the ground, and if it does you're liable to crash and burn.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: September 12, 2019, 04:02:01 pm »

I didn't know having vehicles move without player input was even remotely possible!

Well why wouldn't it be? There's no point implementing playerinputless vehicles if for it to work you have to be right by them
Love, scriver~

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: September 12, 2019, 06:51:06 pm »

Personally I'd like anyone to be able to try to make a flying machine, but of course actually piloting it would be difficult. Perhaps a piloting skill that gets bonus learning from a pilot profession. Unlike driving where effect is minimal, 0 piloting trying to fly a jet very likely means you crash the fucker before it even gets off the ground, and if it does you're liable to crash and burn.

Our current plans are kinda similar to what you say.

Pilot profession can fly fine, as they have the piloting trait.

Anyone else with high mechanics can *attempt* to build their own simple heli or plane with a motorbike engine, like an ultralight or gyrocopter, and the controls will probably be nice and simple ( the thing might fall apart anyway though )

Early aviators built very simple machines that were easy to understand, and a lot of them crashed, and most survived, as the speeds involved often werent very high.

We can surely allow non-pilot players to attempt to fly an apache helicopter, and crash and burn once theyve spent hours pressing random buttons in trial and error to get it to start.

Building your own will surely be the better option for most players.

Even if you are a proper pilot, maintaining and keeping a military plane/helicopter in working condition and with enough avgas will be difficult, itd be more likely that factions of NPCs might be able to keep one running, this opens up interesting possibilities in the future for NPC air support/ pickup/ travelling.

Its interesting because NPC flying will actually be easier to implement than NPC driving, they can go in mostly straight lines, less AI pathfinding around obstacles in the road and so on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: September 13, 2019, 12:56:03 am »

Should at least be able to have NPC pilots teach the player how to fly. Same as they can teach you things like martial arts (or at least, could at some point).
For a large enough faction, piloting skills would be valuable. They'd want to preserve them by having new pilots trained, so that when your heli pilot gets eaten by zeds you're not left with an expensive vehicle that nobody knows how to use. It's most fun if that replacement pilot can be the player.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #6644 on: September 13, 2019, 04:11:11 am »

Hello,

Is it possible to play this game with very few  "monsters", to focus my gameplay on crafting and easy/medium surviving, without the "zombies and worst, everywhere" part ?

What options or mods would that be ?

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 451