Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 795629 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

Posting to link back in, and also to point out that a number of the .0C "new" features where in the last stable build.

Namely, weapon straps.

Oh neat, they did? Were they craftable? I don't think any of the assault rifles I found in the last stable had straps, so it seems that not all guns come with straps to wear.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I doing something really wrong(or really right) if driving over a shrub(at ~200MPH) rips off half the vehicle?

I should note the vehicle is a motorbike built from scratch using extra-light frames and a V8 diesel engine.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Am I doing something really wrong(or really right) if driving over a shrub(at ~200MPH) rips off half the vehicle?

I should note the vehicle is a motorbike built from scratch using extra-light frames and a V8 diesel engine.
I think you should test with a bigger vehicle. The 'shrub' and collision has...in my memory, been present since the 'before' builds.

And a 'shrub' can pretty much mean many different kinds of hardy plants. :P
We are uncertain as to the durability of 'extra-light' frames...so it does make plausible sense that this would occur.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

I think you should test with a bigger vehicle. The 'shrub' and collision has...in my memory, been present since the 'before' builds.

We are uncertain as to the durability of 'extra-light' frames...so it does make plausible sense that this would occur.

Yep, my truck essentially drove itself into the ground when it hit a shrub. Then it's wheels flew off, but this was a truck with regular steel frames and was quite durable. So shrubs generally have been car enders in my experience.  :P

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, shrubs are really good at ruining vehicles. Plating it with the military grade armor will help a lot but you still gotta keep and eye on the durability and repair it frequently. This is why I consider bikes or 3x3 vehicles to be the best for general exploration, cause they're actually small enough to maneuver around shrubs.

Also, 200 mph is really damn fast, the damage would not be so drastic at lower speeds.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, my truck essentially drove itself into the ground when it hit a shrub. Then it's wheels flew off, but this was a truck with regular steel frames and was quite durable. So shrubs generally have been car enders in my experience.  :P
I'm pondering on fanart exemplifying the landmine++ strength of a shrub here.
>.>
<_<
It sounds like a brilliant idea given how consistent it has been in the builds. :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Speed is definitely a killer. I've had some very light vehicles survive collisions with some really hefty stuff at low speeds (30 mph and under) but get wrecked utterly at higher speeds.
Nothing important here, move along.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

You can still use cars as wrecking balls without dying?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can still use cars as wrecking balls without dying?

Compare quote #1 to your quote? Yes.
I can drive a refurbished vanilla truck (or a debug-test truck) into a derelict store, or a military base (turrets and all) and come out alive and still speeding by a fraction.

Even landmines don't stop me (in a custom vehicle with the same frame configuration)...for some strange reason. It just damages like an area-of-effect marker.

...Not so for shrubs. Shrubs are another story.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Well the shrubs are obviously bigger than the underbrush, but that's not saying much. Since they're used around shops I think it can be assumed they're tall enough to be a barrier, maybe waist height or so. That doesn't really explain its destructive properties though, since cars can IRL go through hedge rows and be absolutely functional afterwards, but in Cata you'd be shit out of luck.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

From what I can tell, mostly by what the region typically has, shrubs are a cross between a sapling and underbrush (i.e., up to 8ft in diameter and 10 high), while underbrush is typically waist high.

Of course, with shrubs and bushes and similar being so variant in height, this may not be true. Thats just what I expect though, from the region.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I like shrubs being car wreckers.  It allows you to have a regular car and drive around with it but if you have no easy means to repair it you avoid driving offroad...just like a normal car.   But with a little bit of time and resources you can convert that same car to be safe to drive offroad at reduced speeds through bushes just with a bit of front armor.   Or even go whole hog and design a fully custom maneuverable 3 tile wide armored tank that can do highway speeds offroad with armor absorbing the strikes from bushes and weaving around the thicker stuff.

You can't just take a vanilla car offroad without going very slowly or suffering damage.  But if you take the time you can reinforce one that can handle the task.  It gives you something to do to improve the car that makes it better than vanilla, even when you are not one of those mobile base types and just use it for loot transport.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:08:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 451