Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803218 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #660 on: April 11, 2015, 06:34:14 am »

I think that 0 skill characters in general are just absolutely incompetent. Meaning that the majority of society is just absolutely reliant on automated systems and the few very specialized trained people who exist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 11, 2015, 07:06:56 am »

What I take away from this is that 0 fabrication characters have a literally toddler-tier object permanence.

'WHERE MY ROCK? SOCK EAT ROCK?'
*disassembles'
'YAY ROCK BACK! HAI ROCK! EES MIRACLE!'
*reassembles'
';_;'
*Reach Level 1*
"Verily! My analytical exploits in this field of artistry has elevated my mechanical expertise to attain greater mastery!"
*Builds nail rifle*

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 11, 2015, 08:23:24 am »

I don't thing the Fungus and mi-go are in the same boat. I think mi-go are technological, aren't they?
Nah, I'm pretty sure mi-go are netherworld creatures or whatever you want to call them. They're described as being sorta like tentacle-y crustacean thingies.

That said, the word "fungoid" is actually used in their description, if I remember correctly...
You gotta remember that every bloody thing is a fungus in Lovecraft's stories.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 11, 2015, 08:44:10 am »

I don't thing the Fungus and mi-go are in the same boat. I think mi-go are technological, aren't they?
Nah, I'm pretty sure mi-go are netherworld creatures or whatever you want to call them. They're described as being sorta like tentacle-y crustacean thingies.

That said, the word "fungoid" is actually used in their description, if I remember correctly...
You gotta remember that every bloody thing is a fungus in Lovecraft's stories.
This somehow puts the Mario games in an entirely new light.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

'WHERE MY ROCK? SOCK EAT ROCK?'
*disassembles'
'YAY ROCK BACK! HAI ROCK! EES MIRACLE!'
*reassembles'
';_;'
For some reason I read this in a voice liken to the combining of "I am Groot" and the TF2 heavy talking about "boolits". Needless to say it made your post that much more epic. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:55 am »

What is a good weapon to train handguns?

My skilllevel is at 3 (12% towards 4) and when using a USP with underbarrel laser sight, ergonomic grip and pistol scope it won't improve ("need a more accurat weapon").
I'd understand if it wouldn't improve marksmanship anymore, but shouldn't handguns be trained?

Oh, and once you passed one threshold, can you get rid of it, or get another one? I got spider, which seemed nice, until I left webs everywhere. That was too annoying, so I drank purifiers and got back to 0, but still have the "arachnid" in my mutations. (I am out of purifier, so I don't want to try around too much.)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2015, 10:05:54 am »

I had the same problem with handguns. A 1911 wouldn't train my handgun skill *at all*, only marksman. I haven't had time to try out other guns to see what the issue is, yet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:55 am »

Have you seen if it still increases dispite the warning that it wont train it?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2015, 10:57:22 am »

No.

I used a different gun before (some .38 revolver) and it wouldn't train at all (was already at 3 thanks to books), and the USP brought it up by 12%, then the message came.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »

How does not using "good enough" handguns fail to train your skill with handguns make any sense at all?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »

If it's too inaccurate then how will you get feedback to improve? You only get better if you get feedback to adjust your performance. With an inaccurate weapon the inaccuracy caused by the weapon will be too large in comparison to inaccuracy caused by you, so it's impossible to adjust your aiming.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »

But wouldn't that mean IRL Cold War era soldiers be effectively stuck at 3 handgun skill...?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2015, 02:49:54 pm »

3 is pretty good. For most things 3-5 is the sort of professional range, where anything above is extraordinary.
EDIT: Also I'm sure that there were a range of guns available during the cold war, with varying accuracies.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rivet-the-Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Official C:DDA Website
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2015, 03:29:50 pm »

Used to be (both World Wars) they wanted every soldier to be a friggin' sniper - focusing on long range shots with small capacity rifles in the vain hope that they'd turn a bunch of clodhopping farmboys and functionally useless cityslickers into clones of Simo Häyhä. The history books tell us they were expending anywhere from 5,000 to 200,000 shots per kill in WWII, so obviously that didn't work out as planned.

Handguns were basically an afterthought. The US military has never really given a toss about if their soldiers were actually able to hit anything with them, as they're pretty much intended to be weapons of last resort.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:39 pm »

Used to be (both World Wars) they wanted every soldier to be a friggin' sniper - focusing on long range shots with small capacity rifles in the vain hope that they'd turn a bunch of clodhopping farmboys and functionally useless cityslickers into clones of Simo Häyhä. The history books tell us they were expending anywhere from 5,000 to 200,000 shots per kill in WWII, so obviously that didn't work out as planned.

Handguns were basically an afterthought. The US military has never really given a toss about if their soldiers were actually able to hit anything with them, as they're pretty much intended to be weapons of last resort.
Simo Hayha WAS a clodhopping farmboy. IIRC he actually went back to that after the war. So, they seem to have been right on the money there.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 451