Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799934 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #690 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

You'd be surprised at how capable people are at de-humanizing other people in their minds. Military uniforms especially help to blur what might be seen as distinct people you might care about into a big mess of 'they're the enemy, shoot them'. With proper propaganda and other forms of social engineering, you can make people willing to accept anything, if you don't make them outright comfortable with the idea.

I definitively agree with this. I'd point out the red scare that happened during the cold war as an example, as it is still effective today despite the fact that it became completely irrelevant after the end of the cold war.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:48 am »

They accept it for the 'greater good' in the context of 'us vs them'. Pull those same people away from the propoganda and poll them and you'll find a majority that will lean away from violence. Sorry but kicking your neighbor in the nuts does not make them friendlier or less likely to stab you in the back. You don't start fights unkess you plan on looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life. That's a terrible way to go about life and should be obvious to any thinking sentient social being. Lowering the sentience of 'them' and you can certainly lower the barrier to enacting violence. Even occupying militaries know better than to piss off the local populace, unless they are led by complete fucking morons or psychopaths. It's too easy for civilians to cut off supply lines. Part of that neighbor thing I mentioned.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 13, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

I would just like to take the moment to point out (with equal parts amusement and admiration) that this thread, originally about a zombie apocalypse themed roguelike, has spawned almost a page and a half of debate and discussion regarding war, man's tendencies toward violence, and dehumanization.

I love this forum.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 13, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »

I'm just gonna be that guy and say both sides are most likely equally wrong and equally right, and the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »

I'm not convinced this is universally true for the human animal.

This is more or less what I was trying (and obviously failing) to state earlier. Yeah you have the modern western tendency, but I was going by a more universal "all points of history x all regions of the globe" thing.

I'm just gonna be that guy and say both sides are most likely equally wrong and equally right, and the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.
I believe there is a phrase for this, some folly or other about thinking everything is in the middle.

BFEL is argumentative today all the damn time. WTF BFEL?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 13, 2015, 04:18:40 pm »

I believe there is a phrase for this, some folly or other about thinking everything is in the middle.
Golden Mean Fallacy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 13, 2015, 04:20:58 pm »

Golden Mean Fallacy.
Thank you.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 13, 2015, 05:54:29 pm »

Haven't played in a bout a month, so I'm not sure if the following has changed.

Anyway, I noticed something unusual with Zombie Scientists: they seem to spawn an excessive amount of manhacks. For comparison, in older versions, an individual scientist would send out an average of about one to two manhacks, tops, even after hours of aggro. Compare that to their most recent incarnation, where they shoot out dozens, literally dozens within a short span of time. This gets especially ridiculous during lab raids, where they could fill entire rooms with manhacks to lag inducing levels.

Just thought I'd share that.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 13, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »

Anyway, I noticed something unusual with Zombie Scientists: they seem to spawn an excessive amount of manhacks. For comparison, in older versions, an individual scientist would send out an average of about one to two manhacks, tops, even after hours of aggro. Compare that to their most recent incarnation, where they shoot out dozens, literally dozens within a short span of time. This gets especially ridiculous during lab raids, where they could fill entire rooms with manhacks to lag inducing levels.

Luckily, I think this issue has already been discussed on the forums, and a fix will undoubtedly be in by the next stable.
(I'm pretty sure they'll spawn an UNLIMITED amount of manhacks, actually...)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »

I would just like to take the moment to point out (with equal parts amusement and admiration) that this thread, originally about a zombie apocalypse themed roguelike, has spawned almost a page and a half of debate and discussion regarding war, man's tendencies toward violence, and dehumanization.

I love this forum.
I'm pretty sure those are some of the key themes behind the zombie apolcalypse anyway.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:25 pm »

Your story inspired me to draw this:
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 14, 2015, 02:51:26 am »

Luckily, I think this issue has already been discussed on the forums, and a fix will undoubtedly be in by the next stable.
(I'm pretty sure they'll spawn an UNLIMITED amount of manhacks, actually...)
Yea, unlimited.  As cool as that is ( :D ), we'll be giving them an ammo count or similar.  It's not a new bug, it's just that before they were only doing it at the player, who would either kill or be killed, so the bug wouldn't be apparent.

I'm pretty sure those are some of the key themes behind the zombie apolcalypse anyway.
It's true, also alienation* from our fellow man, fear of science (zombie is the new Frankenstein's monster), fear of the military (soldiers are zombies), and let's not forget good old fashioned cannibalism.

*Similar to dehumanization, but not quite the same.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 14, 2015, 05:52:24 am »

It's true, also alienation* from our fellow man, fear of science (zombie is the new Frankenstein's monster), fear of the military (soldiers are zombies), and let's not forget good old fashioned cannibalism.

*Similar to dehumanization, but not quite the same.

TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!!!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:35 am »

You've been eating the wrong kind of people if they taste like chicken.

That, or the wrong kind of chickens.  Hard to say which.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:13 am »

You've been eating the wrong kind of people if they taste like chicken.

That, or the wrong kind of chickens.  Hard to say which.
Well yeah, I was just joking.
If I have to believe my grandfather though, whose dad was a social anthropologist in the early half of the 20th century, human flesh tastes like sweetened porc meat.
He had to eat some during a first contact mission with natives in French Guyana. Matter of politeness, and fear of being eaten themselves if they refused the offered meal XD

I still have their longbow and poisoned arrow tips. It got passed down to me through the generations. They used nearly 7 feet long bows (the natives themselves being a short people making this even more amazing, and the fact that they drew the string while holding the bow over their heads makes it completely awesome) with curare tipped arrows to shoot monkeys from trees.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:09:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 451