Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803214 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #750 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:49 am »

I recruited an NPC. I'm glad to see that my new best friend is not stealing my shit, I've had problems with that in the past.

Is there anyway to heal NPCs? She was hurt mostly by spending several turns in an acid pool, and after getting a good night's rest I saw her pain penalty was still the same. I'd give her some aspirin, but I can't trade aspirin for some reason.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 19, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

I don't think NPC's ever heal or lose pain. They just shuffle around until they finally keel over.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:57 pm »

Speaking of NPCs, is it normal for them to simply walk into fire? I just lost my trusted companion that way. Also, apparently they can get sick, for my NPC had a "hacking cough".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:51 pm »

I recruited an NPC. I'm glad to see that my new best friend is not stealing my shit, I've had problems with that in the past.

Is there anyway to heal NPCs? She was hurt mostly by spending several turns in an acid pool, and after getting a good night's rest I saw her pain penalty was still the same. I'd give her some aspirin, but I can't trade aspirin for some reason.

You must be lucky, or I missed an update. Last I know NPCs still steal your stuff, unless you put it in a sealed crate
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 20, 2015, 05:56:30 am »

Game just gave me amazing loot in the first house I came across as a half-starved naturalist hiking from a farm deep in the woods.
Two bottles of clean water, tailor kit, glowstick, Under the Hood, Tao of the Handgun, some more tins and cans and two guns (44 and 223) in the basement, which has beds to boot.

Looks like it'll be my base once the immediate area is safe.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 20, 2015, 03:41:16 pm »

We've got upgrading zombies over time in the experimentals now (or at least in another half hour or so after this post when the experimental finishes compiling)! It's a fairly basic implementation, and I'm sure you guys will find all sorts of things wrong with it, but thanks to the perseverance of one Frost-wood it's now in the game. :D
That's awesome!
Next: mutating zombies?
You now can, I added upon request the ability for a monster to upgrade into a specific monster in addition to the ability to select from a group.  Now that we can have more difficult monsters, there should be pr's of more monsters.  In fact, PropaneSoup has pr'ed two monsters that are mutations to existing monsters.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 20, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »

is it possible to take the sme logic with upgradeable monsters and apply that to upgrading npcs u might have in youre company or roaming around the environment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 20, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

Not really, no. Monsters might share an ultimate super-class with NPC's, but they go down different paths in the code almost from the start.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 20, 2015, 07:51:22 pm »

We've got upgrading zombies over time in the experimentals now (or at least in another half hour or so after this post when the experimental finishes compiling)! It's a fairly basic implementation, and I'm sure you guys will find all sorts of things wrong with it, but thanks to the perseverance of one Frost-wood it's now in the game. :D

Any place with details and roadmap on this feature?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »

Details:
Put these onto your monster
Code: [Select]
"upgrades_into": "insert monster id or mon_group id here",
"upgrade_min": X, // Day on which the monsters will start to upgrade
"half_life": X, // half life of the monster upgrade, works like radioactive decay
"base_upgrade_chance": X, // Modifies the half life equation to be (X+base_chance) per half life, if given without a "half_life" then it becomes (chance per day)

Roadmap:
Whatever people decide to come up with.

I don't know if you've noted this, but C:DDA development is kinda open ended in a lot of cases. :P Since we just have a bunch of volunteers we tend to list development plans in terms of things we'd like to eventually go in, but we don't really have a particular roadmap because all it really does on a project like this is promote burnout and prevent people from wanting to help contribute to the project. In this case we have some rather basic outlines about how we'd like to eventually have upgrading zombies and monsters (which we now do), but not much beyond that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:13 pm »

Ah gotcha.  I was interested in knowing what the zombies can possibly upgrade to, things like that.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 21, 2015, 12:36:50 am »

such development is a great model, threads like this might stimulate creative thinking and contributions which generate something new.  So should continue

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »

Found a LMOE shelter in a forest. I guess I just found my new permanent base. Since I've never done anything like that before, is it possible to make some kind of electrical lighting for the interior?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 21, 2015, 12:03:55 pm »

Found a LMOE shelter in a forest. I guess I just found my new permanent base. Since I've never done anything like that before, is it possible to make some kind of electrical lighting for the interior?

Lots of ways. You can use a car frame and a few different kinds of lights. There's light strips for just dropping on the ground as well. With removable batteries you could have a solar car outside and a light car inside. "Car" potentially being nothing but a few frames.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:52 pm »

Lots of ways. You can use a car frame and a few different kinds of lights. There's light strips for just dropping on the ground as well. With removable batteries you could have a solar car outside and a light car inside. "Car" potentially being nothing but a few frames.
I should have specified, but "inside" is underground, so I doubt a solar car would work, since going underground seems to freeze the surface and the other way around if I'm on the surface. Thanks for the rest of the ideas though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 451