Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803238 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1470 on: June 25, 2015, 01:50:51 am »

So..... who decided it was a good idea to make smoker zombies as fast/faster than 115 speed, able to see through their own smoke, and unnaturally tough?
They cannot see through their own smoke, and they can't smell either (smoke obliterates scent), but they can hear, and if the smoke parts momentarily they can spot you.
Also, all zombies are unnaturally tough, it's in the definition :P
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 25, 2015, 07:22:43 am »

If it cannot see through it's own smoke, how are they capable of following me when I change direction? I know it's not due to breaks in the smoke, as I would in turn be able to see them, and I look for that to know if they get another peek at me. Unless perhaps running causes sound?

I wish they were easy to melee, even with a baseball bat, minor encumbrance, and some decent armor I could not solo one. Yes my character was not experienced but I put starting points into melee and dodge and it's silly if you die to one just because it's early in the game.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 25, 2015, 07:35:34 am »

If you want to melee them, wear a filter mask or better. Without the debilitating smoke, they're no tougher than normal zombies.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 25, 2015, 07:58:33 am »

If it cannot see through it's own smoke, how are they capable of following me when I change direction? I know it's not due to breaks in the smoke, as I would in turn be able to see them, and I look for that to know if they get another peek at me. Unless perhaps running causes sound?

I wish they were easy to melee, even with a baseball bat, minor encumbrance, and some decent armor I could not solo one. Yes my character was not experienced but I put starting points into melee and dodge and it's silly if you die to one just because it's early in the game.
You can encounter Shocker Brutes early in the game. Just because you can encounter them early, doesn't mean they should be easy to kill, either. :)

Also yes, like all zombies are normally at night, the smokers are attracted to sound.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1474 on: June 25, 2015, 08:26:21 am »

Why is this roguelike zombie game difficult!? /s

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: June 25, 2015, 08:44:48 am »

You can encounter Shocker Brutes early in the game. Just because you can encounter them early, doesn't mean they should be easy to kill, either. :)
Here's my tip that will universally kill ANY* zombie that you encounter

STEP 1: Find a lighter

STEP 2: Find some form of flammable material (shrubs for example, straw also works)

STEP 3: Light it on fire

STEP 4: Lure the zombie into the fire

STEP 5: If it doesn't oneshot you, melee it so it stays in the fire

STEP 6: Profit

The loot will stay intact for a few turns allowing you to pick it up. One warning though, despite what happens in reality the corpse will not be destroyed by the fire (it will get burned though) and my method also prevents you from butchering it so I would recommend you to take the necessary precautions to prevent a forest fire and then RUN!!

*Please note, so far this method has not been tested with shocker brutes, hulks, smokers, fireman zombies, and Hazmat zombies
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:03 am »

I don't think you're meant to directly fight smoker zombies. They're fast, hard to hit, and half-incorporeal. I've never killed one in melee, all my smoker kills are via vehicular battering or AOE attacks. Pipebombs, Molotovs, and spraycan flamethrowers are all good early weapons against them.

I've pretty much always killed them in melee.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:24 am »

Also yes, like all zombies are normally at night, the smokers are attracted to sound.

Well the reason I don't complain about brutes is that 1) I can outrun them. For some reason the smoker zombie can keep up with me at 115 speed until I run out of stamina, then I'm screwed. 2) Brutes don't have smoke covering them. I can see them from a distance and thus avoid them. Smokers can be in an open field and I wouldn't notice until It's too late.

I forgot about the fire trick, I shall begin the abuse once again  :)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 25, 2015, 09:59:01 am »

One warning though, despite what happens in reality the corpse will not be destroyed by the fire (it will get burned though) and my method also prevents you from butchering it so I would recommend you to take the necessary precautions to prevent a forest fire and then RUN!!
You can still pulp it, however, which will do just as well at preventing resurrection.  Simply smash it and you'll be fine. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: June 25, 2015, 10:14:42 am »

As long as you don't get surprised by one inside a house, smokers are easy. Just lure them over to the nearest shrub, light it on fire and have them walk over. I don't think smokers even leave corpses, so you don't need to worry about them coming back. If I am wrong and they do leave corpses, a quick smashing will do.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:13 pm »

Having thick smoke and toxic gas (and probably even strong fire) trigger safe mode would probably help a lot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 25, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »

That does beg the question - why are there no fireimmune fire zombies, the same way there are electric shocker zombies? Is it just because they'd burn down all the houses in their path?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 25, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »

That does beg the question - why are there no fireimmune fire zombies, the same way there are electric shocker zombies? Is it just because they'd burn down all the houses in their path?

Don't give them any ideas, the game has enough area-denial enemies as is.  I already have to watch for Bio-Agents hanging around the wilderness to one-shot me, I don't want my safehouse going down in an instant blaze because of horde wanders.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 25, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

Fire immune or fire-spreading? Zombies that cause fires would probably cause huge problems with lag after enough time in the reality bubble. Fire-immune... I thought there were, but I actually didn't look into the code to see if zombie firemen are actually immune to fire.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1484 on: June 25, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »

so tempted to make a 'hell on earth' mod now which replaces zombies and such with demons of various types
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 451