Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803228 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1575 on: July 03, 2015, 06:11:13 pm »

and ants.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:56 pm »

Ants really should be dropping it, I actually had difficulty getting chitin from spiders, at least black widows.  I must have killed 50 of them once in one basement back before stamina was a thing and got mountains of meat and 0 chitin.  If the workers aren't dropping it you might need the soldier ants.

Another thing to try may be swamp bugs.   But the downside of that is that you need to be able to kill....swamp bugs...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 03, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »

Iirc chitin mainly drops from spiders. Try clearing out a spider nest in a basement somewhere.

^This. Plus, for some reason, they have absurdly good drops. I've gotten not one, but TWO power armour helmets from one spider nest.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 03, 2015, 10:27:16 pm »

You need losta ranks in survival to even get a remotely decent chance to get chitin. At least six, maybe five if you don't mind tedious grinding.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 04, 2015, 11:13:05 am »

Can anyone tell me why "snap to target" in the options menu isn't working when it's set to true?

Probably because it doesn't work in tiles mode.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 04, 2015, 03:10:26 pm »

Ok I have 3 survival and a butchering knife and have killed a ton of giant black widows. Still not getting chitin. Do I really need 6 survival just to extract the hardest part of an insect's body?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 04, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »

It's less "extract" and more "keep intact in usable form", so yes? It might be too high a requirement, but I'm not in a position to say either way.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 04, 2015, 08:13:14 pm »

It's less "extract" and more "keep intact in usable form", so yes? It might be too high a requirement, but I'm not in a position to say either way.

Apparently not. I just got 6 survival and butchered yet another entire basement of spiders and got zero chitin. So far I've gotten one chitin from a spider in a forest, but that's it. I think it's safe to say that the drop rate needs to be higher, especially since you need chitin for a refugee center quest.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:47 pm »

I should just turn off NPCs at this point, there's still no way to lock doors, they keep giving me the Jabberwock quest (yes, spamming jabberwocks all over the map which proceed to kill everything within a mile of their starting location), and half the time I meet extremely unfriendly ones wiedling flamethrowers, which proceed to burn down entire cities.
Goodness
Apparently not. I just got 6 survival and butchered yet another entire basement of spiders and got zero chitin. So far I've gotten one chitin from a spider in a forest, but that's it. I think it's safe to say that the drop rate needs to be higher, especially since you need chitin for a refugee center quest.
I've been setting spider basements on fire ever since the first time I tried actually hunting the widows, which ended in complete fucking catastrophe. What loadout/tactics do you use to extinguish the subterranean arachnid menace?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:24:10 pm by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 04, 2015, 09:04:33 pm »

What kind of knife are you using?  That also has a large impact on your ability to extract items via butchering.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 04, 2015, 09:46:59 pm »

What's your dex, BTW? Some testing on my part had ants sometimes dropping chitin when butchering them with survival 4 and 12 Dex, while survival higher than that with the same dex yielded chitin nearly all of the time. Dropped down to 6 dex, I needed butchering of 6 to even get a chance at getting chitin, while 8 was the starting point when chitin yields were near guaranteed. All of this was done with a butchering knife (same item you're using to butcher).

And how about clothing? Wearing anything encumbering? I can't say if that would have any affect on this, but you never know.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 05, 2015, 10:57:11 am »

Iirc chitin mainly drops from spiders. Try clearing out a spider nest in a basement somewhere.

^This. Plus, for some reason, they have absurdly good drops. I've gotten not one, but TWO power armour helmets from one spider nest.

Fridge horror: What happened to the rest of the armor? Or the guys wearing them?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 05, 2015, 11:10:24 am »

I've been setting spider basements on fire ever since the first time I tried actually hunting the widows, which ended in complete fucking catastrophe. What loadout/tactics do you use to extinguish the subterranean arachnid menace?

Setting the basement on fire.... I literally just light some web on fire and everything dies. But if you are really have trouble with it, lighting web on fire (I think lighting web on the walls can spread to the other side) and then using a fire extinguisher to keep the doors fire-free might help.

What's your dex, BTW? Some testing on my part had ants sometimes dropping chitin when butchering them with survival 4 and 12 Dex, while survival higher than that with the same dex yielded chitin nearly all of the time. Dropped down to 6 dex, I needed butchering of 6 to even get a chance at getting chitin, while 8 was the starting point when chitin yields were near guaranteed. All of this was done with a butchering knife (same item you're using to butcher).

And how about clothing? Wearing anything encumbering? I can't say if that would have any affect on this, but you never know.

I have at least 10 dexterity, am using a variety of knives all with 19 butchering, and am generally not encumbered. Even if I was, it's not reasonable to think that that would have such a huge impact, unless I had like, 5 pairs of gloves on.

I'm prepared to call this a bug.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 05, 2015, 12:53:39 pm »

Setting the basement on fire.... I literally just light some web on fire and everything dies. But if you are really have trouble with it, lighting web on fire (I think lighting web on the walls can spread to the other side) and then using a fire extinguisher to keep the doors fire-free might help.

You can clear webbing off the walls and doors. Just stick your head inside and clear webs out from around the door.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 05, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »

You can clear webbing off the walls and doors. Just stick your head inside and clear webs out from around the door.

Yeah but you risk getting poisoned and injured.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 451