Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803040 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2670 on: December 09, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

I don't see why a sword on your back can't simply be unslung, and then drawn, the same way a soldier unslings a rifle off their shoulder before using it.  If you're looking for a "quick draw", you should be looking for a shorter weapon.  :)
I could totally see a back scabbard that worked as an abstracted form of this, i.e. it had a much longer draw time and didn't allow for quick draw attacks. Maybe make a customized version with increased ENC that trades a longer time to stash a weapon away when you were done in exchange for reenabling quick draw abilities and a shorter draw time (essentially you building your own custom "snap closed" type of sheath or something similar).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: December 09, 2015, 10:34:11 am »

Is there a Capn Duck style tutorial video for this game? I'd love to get into it but am too intimidated to attempt it

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: December 09, 2015, 10:49:03 am »

Theres an actual tutorial in the game. Its a bit old, but it still does its job.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:25 am »

I do apologize for being stupid. With the benefit of hindsight, I did contribute to 2015's list of stupidest posts.

HOWEVER, I don't stand corrected.

Boom, disposable back scabbard, and all you have to do is replace the cloth after you draw it. Not exactly ideal, and you might need to experiment a bit with types of cloth to find one that cuts smoothly but the concept would work. Now whether or not it would be practical enough to actually bother doing is another question, but you could definitely make one.

Excuse me, while I might be condescending, at least I am not wrong, thank you.
Scabbards are not for just carrying your shit around. It's also for protecting your sword. Numerous longswords had this thing called rainguard attached to their crossguards, which in my opinion looks hideous as shit, but they were used for about 3 centuries constantly, and most swords with excellent preservation have them. You know why? Because steel rusts. Rainguard protects the sword against moisture, and saw most frequent use in England(it does rain a lot over there, yes?).

I do know what I am talking about. Your set up is quite perfect for ruining your sword. Fighting with a half rusted sword was probably the second fastest way to get killed in medieval combat, with the fastest way being using a back scabbard.

Spoiler: Err... (click to show/hide)

You'd have to read my comment in context. I am firmly against fast drawing two handed swords, and you'll see why in those images provided. They have no way of drawing their weapons in those pictures, let alone fast drawing. If you don't believe me, just grab a broom, sling it on your back, and try to draw it.

I don't see why a sword on your back can't simply be unslung, and then drawn, the same way a soldier unslings a rifle off their shoulder before using it.  If you're looking for a "quick draw", you should be looking for a shorter weapon.  :)

This is what I think of Cataclysm's back scabbards are like. They already function like this, they take stupid amount of time to draw and sheath, which they totally should!

A long sword, bastard sword, kriegsmesser, nodachi, or whatever - essentially two handed swords that are designed for heavy duty combat, not self defense, had no means of 'fast drawing'. If you are in such a situation where you face an army and you don't even have your weapon ready, you don't have much of a hope anyway.

Though, weapons that are not long enough to be considered solely for battlefield use, such as longswords could be worn on the side. Most weapons that are shorter than the length between your feet to your armpits could, in fact.

Fast drawing a two-handed sword like that is the equivalent of fast drawing a bazooka in modern combat. Surely you don't stand in front of a tank and go, 'Okay, it's just you and me. Draw.'

History speaks for itself, hundreds of thousands of people who lived before us were not idiots. They used what worked for them. The thing is, we see no evidence back scabbards ever were a thing in battlefield combat or saw civilian use. I've never seen back sheaths or back scabbards in archaeological finds. If they were actually useful, we'd... have found a couple, don't you think?

I'll end this on a less arguing tone. There is nothing wrong with liking back scabbards, nor using one in real life. If you are a LARPer, a back scabbard that looks cool and you can actually use would be considered a tremendous advantage over other setups, and considering you'd only use it a couple times a month, you wouldn't have to worry about environment damage. Though it's seriously doubtful that it'll be of much use anywhere else.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:00:37 pm by DoomOnion »

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: December 09, 2015, 10:57:02 am »

Theres an actual tutorial in the game. Its a bit old, but it still does its job. but will postpone your death by a few minutes.
FTFY

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:51 am »

I will maintain that the post is not fixed because the job of the tutorial is to do that.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: December 09, 2015, 11:34:18 am »

I will maintain that the post is not fixed because the job of the tutorial is to do that.
I stand by my baseless edit!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:17 pm »

It's finally out on iOS, too! Downloaded it today, and it plays wonderfully - far better than I expected it to, and far easier to control than I thought it would be.

It'll keep me occupied over the festive period for sure!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: December 09, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »

I stand by my baseless edit!

Given the fact that it's pretty easy to get yourself killed in the tutorial, does it do that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: December 09, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

The tutorial is mental preparation for what awaits you. Occasionally Invariably, this involves death and pain and katanas and Xanax and funnels and toilet water.

Anyone else's playthroughs like that? Is that just me?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: December 09, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »

I don't take Xanax, but I take twice as much toilet water to make up for it.  Does that count?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:16:22 pm by Culise »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: December 09, 2015, 06:15:53 pm »

I remember lighting the tutorial on fire, fleeing to the baseme, sleeping and then escaping the tutorial building... good times.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: December 09, 2015, 06:20:28 pm »

Less toilet water, less Xanex, less katana, not really death, much pain tho.

And Your Mom.  I see Your Mom a lot when I dont get enough to drink.  So get me a beer.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: December 09, 2015, 06:21:31 pm »

Less toilet water, less Xanex, less katana, not really death, much pain tho.

And Your Mom.  I see Your Mom a lot when I dont get enough to drink.  So get me a beer.
You people need more Xanax in your adventures.  :P

I recall playing once and seeing that outside the tutorial building was a giant city. I TP'd out there. Was eviscerated.
If such a thing still exists, it would make one hell of a playthrough.

Edit: You're only allowed to take drugs whose names are palindromes. That is all.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: December 09, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »

The tutorial just makes a world with a special maptile and starts in it, so what is outside the room can vary a fair bit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 451