Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803016 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3465 on: May 25, 2016, 04:55:20 pm »

I kinda agree with a lot of folks here, even though waking up with high or low health does give you a special message, a few finer health monitoring items may be pretty cool, give you more reason to loot hospitals.  Because honestly once I have a couple antibiotics and some basic painkillers I find little to no reason to clear out a hospital.

Could even be in tiers:
a basic health watch that gives you a general idea of your health kinda like what you get when you wake up now, but viewable anytime while you have it handy.  Maybe a bit finer than the wakeup messages, but not by much.
A bit of a kick to that is that it takes wounds into account, giving you a lower health reading than you actually have if you have a few wounds for example, being more of an athletic fitness watch more than an actual medical tool.  Such things could be found rarely on zombies, or in houses, kinda like an alternative to a game watch.

Next would be some kind of portable medical scanner.  Think like a star trek medical tricorder but more low tech. Designed to streamline medical exams in the near future.  Takes a small blood sample (+1 pain on use) and then gives detailed information based on first aid skill. At 0 skill it only tells you if you have a cold, flu, fungal or parasite infection, and always says there is an 'unknown blood contaminant'.  Making the watch more useful to the untrained. But at 1-3 skill it works similar to the watch, giving the character enough information for a general health assessment, unmodified by wounds. and at 4 first aid and above it gives you the actual numerical value for your current health.  Such tools would only be found in doctors offices, and hospitals.  Maybe rarely in labs and ambulances.

Finally would be a medical diagnosis system.  A somewhat bulky computer with testing equipment built in.  Completely unusable for anyone with 0 skill. Works similarly to the portable medical scanner at first aid 1-3, maybe with finer detail.  But at 4 and above it gives you all the information you need to know about your health, current health level, as well as your current baseline health.  At even higher levels it could even treat minor illnesses like the cold or flu.  Not removing them entirely, but acting like cough medicine at the cost of some extra battery power.  Such things would only be found in hospitals, and the more technical lab finales.  And while small enough to be man portable, it would be large enough to be impractical to lug around everywhere.

...ok that got bigger than I expected.   tl;dr I feel items to give us finer health details would be welcome, and may even give us more reason to check out hospitals, which currently only seem mildly useful in niche situations, like yer a computer whiz with a broken arm and for some reason can't make a splint.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: May 25, 2016, 04:59:02 pm »

Welp. Stable release shows [[[]][][][][  in each place, where should be text.  :-\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: May 25, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »

Step 1: Use Experimentals
Step 2: Play the game

This is the advice anyone that's been here awhile will give you.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: May 25, 2016, 05:04:46 pm »

Welp. Stable release shows [[[]][][][][  in each place, where should be text.  :-\

Old stable, new stable, or current release? ?? That's freakin' weird that the old stable would break like that so suddenly. Maybe it's a language issue?

In other news, I agree with the "no hidden values" folks. Plus that "health" is out-dated now that there's vitamins you gotta keep track of now. It's a roguelike, not a zombie survival sim.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: May 25, 2016, 05:08:54 pm »

I used experimentals first, then was told, that it is because of experimentals and I should totally use stable release.
Latest stable was used huh.
Ehm, used to play cataclysm on previous computer, it had windows with russian language, but everything worked fine there.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: May 25, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »

In other news, I agree with the "no hidden values" folks. Plus that "health" is out-dated now that there's vitamins you gotta keep track of now. It's a roguelike, not a zombie survival sim.
Wait, so there's stats in place to require you to eat a varied diet and not just "health" food?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: May 25, 2016, 05:14:33 pm »

Nutrition is new, not hidden.

Theres vitamins and mineral contents assigned to food groups now, so what a foodstuff is made out of will affect what earthcrap it has in it.

too much or too little of any one rock and your body gets cranky.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

And yea I derped, I made that big long cool sounding post that seemed like great Ideas before I realized that I even played a version after the vitamins were introduced.... derp.

I vaguely recall someone else mentioning the [][][[[][][] bug a while back, I think it was determined to have something to do with windows 10?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:58 pm »

I used experimentals first, then was told, that it is because of experimentals and I should totally use stable release.
Latest stable was used huh.
Ehm, used to play cataclysm on previous computer, it had windows with russian language, but everything worked fine there.

Stable is full of old bugs and not stable at all. Experimental gets bugs fixed rather quickly. Use experimental.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: May 25, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »

Ive added 4 new acidbombs of 4 strengths and sizes.

Basically you start tying together glass flasks or using bigger bottles and the greater liquid means more acid.

Its a nerf of acidbombs (which Id swear by), and a volume 4 acidbomb is needed to do what a size 2 could in the base game.

But, it is somewhat more realistic and it allows players to make small or large bombs.  And the ones in the game right now are currently bugged to always produce acid and never shut off.

Heres what I have:
Blacklisted acidbombs from the mod, and added 4 new ones.

Sizes 1-4
Requires progressively more string, and some rags to make sure the glasses stay stopped and dont break from clinking together.
size micro, small, medium, large.
size micro does 1 tile of a little acid.
sizes small, med, large do more acid, culminating with large doing normal acid.

This is effectively a nerf of acidbombs, because to get the same bang for your buck you need a bomb 2ce as large, but its certainly more plausible than half a liter of acid making a 3 meter by 3 meter pool of thick acid.

Also, also also also, you can use micro bombs to place 1 tile of weak/moderate acid.  NPCs could be given these as grenades. IDK if they use thrown weapons.  I could test this.  Or perhaps make a basic gun/lobby tool for them or you.

I want to do something with the 3L glasses and acid.  The issue being the size and weight.  And that, well, it wouldnt spread as well as a 1 liter bottle.  or 4 glass flasks tied together.

pedit:

Going from the top left and going clockwise:

micro acidbomb, small acidbomb, medium acidbomb, large acdibomb.  On the bottom is the everlasting acidbomb in the game currently.

Yes?  No?  Would you accept this as a change?

pedit:

to clarify more.

I made this with the intention of using it for my mod, but Im tempted to push it into the core game.  So i wanted opinions of if it would be a suitable replacement for the old hardcoded method we currently use.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:00:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: May 26, 2016, 12:58:53 am »

Things are going well so far, I got on my motorcycle and scouted the area, I found three other farms, one of which had a antlered horror resident, I left rather quickly. I did manage to find two gas stations along the road, got about thirty short ropes from the farms I went to, I also managed to find a mansion with a ton of useful books.

I also saw a total of three labs, I probably won't be visiting those for a long time. After scouting the northern part of the last road in the area I finally find a town that is on the other side of the river, by the river is a school so I might want to clear that out, that wouldn't be too much of a problem if it wasn't for the shocker brute, it's presence certainly makes things more interesting. Not sure where that southern part of that road goes, I might have to find out at some point, but not yet.

For now I have other things planned.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: May 26, 2016, 01:29:10 am »

Does anyone else have the problem of random wall tiles showing up with the tiles graphic of a boarded up window?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: May 26, 2016, 01:59:06 am »

Those might be stone walls. A few houses use them in their construction.

I, personally, have set up in a 2-story brick house with basement :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: May 26, 2016, 02:10:14 am »

Anyone know why I suddenly can't weld? I have a powered welder, welding goggles, and nearby acetylene torches, but I can't seem to do anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: May 26, 2016, 02:15:08 am »

I'm positive it's a current bug in the experimental. I couldn't weld in one (one I was kinda happy with, sadly) so I had to jump ship on that one.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 451