Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803106 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4080 on: November 15, 2016, 06:36:38 pm »

Left and right carrot

>
<
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:46 pm »

Does Tab still work?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: November 15, 2016, 08:13:19 pm »

Yes. Not sure if Shift-Tab works, I didn't check. PgUp and PdDwn used to work, but as far as I know it doesn't now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: November 15, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »

It's really not that difficult to get a decent weapon and escape from town on the first day anyways unless you up the spawn to at least 10 and turn on fast zombies, which is kind of the point here.

Said no person who has ever run a really bad say challenge ever.

Its a lot of luck.  You cant outskill the amount of luck you need.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: November 16, 2016, 01:21:36 am »

It's really not that difficult to get a decent weapon and escape from town on the first day anyways unless you up the spawn to at least 10 and turn on fast zombies, which is kind of the point here.

Said no person who has ever run a really bad say challenge ever.

Its a lot of luck.  You cant outskill the amount of luck you need.
Not particularly tough either. Fleet footed and only sprint when you have 75% or more stamina to get to the edge of town from the center. I can get out 80% of the time, with the rest being when there is a shocker brute or spitter at every intersection. Once you're out, you can draw out regulars and let them chase the wildlife outside of town to free up space for looting.

Really bad day and fast zombies, however is not survivable without a lucky start.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: November 16, 2016, 04:04:49 am »

why?

i have never taken a martial art at chargen.

and since when is place a weapon between an attacker and you a specific MA?
Well a lot of folks tend to strongly associate martial arts with asian-ey kicking and punching. When its a war art. Why would China and Japan use word from the Roman god of Wars, Mars? Its a european word used to describe fencing, shooting, wrestling, and boxing. The arts used and practice for fucking murdering foo's during war. Duckman point, is that you're just not granted swordmen skill.  I've been fencing with the SCA and RenFair for years with my Epee blade, its a lot of practice.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: November 16, 2016, 06:25:08 am »

Ah yes, remember the infamous Boston 1st Boxer Regiment, feared all over the world for their brutal yet effective skill at battle and tactical prowess :P
Love, scriver~

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:58 am »

Pugilism has been taught in various militaries as part of its cqc training for centuries if not thousand of years. Its arguably one of the world oldest mart arts. 
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91073 An article examining the history and impact of boxing on military science.  Spartans boxed. Roman legionairs boxed.
http://www.historyoffighting.com/boxing-in-the-ancient-world.php

http://www.weapons-universe.com/Brass_Knuckles/Cestus2.jpg Roman boxing glove. Its banded in iron. Others have spikes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:46:51 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:16 am »

Yeah, the term "martial arts" is usually associated to unarmed combat, but there's a number of them centered around weapons, like Iaido and Kendo, the Japanese fencing/swordsmanship disciplines, or Kyujutsu, Japanese archery. And it's true the European equivalents qualify as martial arts.

As MrWiggles said, even shooting could be considered a martial art, stretching the definition some. The thing is, shooting firearms requires much less technique and training compared to "truer" martial arts, which require years and years to achieve real competence.

Anyway, I last played this when it was just Cataclysm, like five years ago. I've been setting up my game, with the Chesthole soundpack and the Retro 20px tiles, and should be starting a serious playthrough (or attempt at such) once I get home from work.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:53:29 am by Greenbane »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:43 am »

taking traits to trivialize early game aside,

perhaps your mistake is assuming parry is Good skill at low levels and that the same wild flailing that flavors missed attacks corresponds to more reckless parrying

its a text game; youre imagining the characters skill that the game is telling you doesnt exist.

And, more humourous, youre comparing two trained fighters to a scared, cold, and naked man and the only thing less agile than him; a corpse
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:36:52 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:11 am »

Pugilism has been taught in various militaries as part of its cqc training for centuries if not thousand of years. Its arguably one of the world oldest mart arts. 
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91073 An article examining the history and impact of boxing on military science.  Spartans boxed. Roman legionairs boxed.
http://www.historyoffighting.com/boxing-in-the-ancient-world.php

http://www.weapons-universe.com/Brass_Knuckles/Cestus2.jpg Roman boxing glove. Its banded in iron. Others have spikes.

Heh, that first article forum post's author doesn't particularly come of as trustworthy. But no worries, I am not arguing against martial arts being martial arts, I just found very funny the image of boxing on the battlefield brought to my mind by "The arts used and practice for fucking murdering foo's during war" :P
Love, scriver~

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: November 16, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »

taking traits to trivialize early game aside,

perhaps your mistake is assuming parry is Good skill at low levels and that the same wild flailing that flavors missed attacks corresponds to more reckless parrying

its a text game; youre imagining the characters skill that the game is telling you doesnt exist.

And, more humourous, youre comparing two trained fighters to a scared, cold, and naked man and the only thing less agile than him; a corpse

If WBLOCK_2 (parrying) didn't add 6 to your block score, you might have a point, but you only need to block a few (Hint: less than 4) points of damage for simple clothing to completely negate the rest of it.

You're also mistaking the relevance of the very bad day scenario that you brought up in the first place. In that scenario a sharp rock or ceramic shard is a decent weapon. Literal garbage is a decent weapon on the first day, even when I do runs where I melt my legs off, unless you run into a brute, shocker or spitter variant.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: November 16, 2016, 09:14:30 pm »

If you say so.  It doesnt matter to me if you are honest about your starts.

Your issue with parry on a rare weapon is relatively unfounded.  Out of the gates makes the very large assumption that some new character with no armor is grabbing a saber.

And thats in part why mansions are so OP.  they allow players who have no business to otherwise to acces almost combat free high end books and wepaons.  But its never 'right out of the gates'. antique stores are often empty of weapons.

sabers, samurai armor, katanas, fire axes, and other mid-high tier items are found and left in not to make the game unfair but to give players the taste of the old days.  They arent 'too' powerful (maybe in basegame, but basegame is a joke anyway) because zombies arent 1 monster.  Zombies are hordes.  They surround you.  Even at night.  And if more people would turn on wandering hordes they might find their tactics are crapola.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:16:54 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:31 pm »

It occurs to me that maybe this guy hasnt played in a few months.  that could be it.
PKs DF Mod!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: November 16, 2016, 10:16:03 pm »

maybe in basegame, but basegame is a joke anyway
Well, duh. Why else would I play a legless amputee every few games?

Edit: Actually, has that been suggested before? A missing limb/limbs challenge scenario? It'd save me the 24 seconds melting my legs off, at least.

It occurs to me that maybe this guy hasnt played in a few months.  that could be it.

Yeah, I just got back to Cataclysm about a week ago, but I think the roadblock here is that I tend to get bored around the mid-game while you're arguing from the perspective of someone who actually bothers to get into the late-game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:34:39 pm by duckman »
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 451