Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803023 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4275 on: December 06, 2016, 08:46:40 pm »

I build from scratch usually, tearing apart every vehicle I can lay hands on for more materials, eventually it ends up being some titanic rolling storehouse with military plating covering every surface.  Speaking of deathmobiles (since I'm still on 0.C and no amount of 'the experimental is fine' is going to make me move), are heavy duty quarterpanels ever going to be a thing?  Using heavy duty boards for every part of the vehicle just feels wrong (and I absolutely assure you that armored quarterpanels are a real thing.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: December 06, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »

Well yeah, that's how they work in reality, but this is a game, and games aren't necessarily going to be fully accurate.

Good to know it works as hoped though, thanks :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: December 06, 2016, 08:50:56 pm »

At its core the battery is there to start the car and that's about it. It's also a way to smooth out the alternator instead of having a more direct connection between alternator and all other electronics in the vehicle.

IRL You can remove an alternator from a car to get better gas mileage but you'll only get limited starts from the battery.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: December 06, 2016, 08:53:55 pm »

For some reason I can't add an alternator to my electric motor. No clue why. My Solar APC has no alternator, and I envision future problems from that...
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:21 pm »

I build from scratch usually, tearing apart every vehicle I can lay hands on for more materials, eventually it ends up being some titanic rolling storehouse with military plating covering every surface.  Speaking of deathmobiles (since I'm still on 0.C and no amount of 'the experimental is fine' is going to make me move), are heavy duty quarterpanels ever going to be a thing?  Using heavy duty boards for every part of the vehicle just feels wrong (and I absolutely assure you that armored quarterpanels are a real thing.)
Yeah, heavy duty quarterpanels are a thing in experimental and you'll get them whenever the next stable release happens. The aisle curtains even make them, functionally if not visually, better than reinforced glass windshields for windows. I'm still a bit disappointed at the lack of shutters for windows though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »

humvees are my preferred vehicle, though personnel carriers do good too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:43 am »

For some reason I can't add an alternator to my electric motor. No clue why. My Solar APC has no alternator, and I envision future problems from that...

That's because for electric motors alternators would be pointless? Alternators convert engine power to electricity. Basically you're converting gasoline to battery power. An electric motor just runs on electricity so having an electric motor charge a battery at the same time it draws that electricity from the battery to run wouldn't really accomplish anything except waste energy in the exchange. If you want to run an electric car you either need enough solar panels and enough battery storage to run the car as long as you need, or a reactor. In the past you could just have swappable storage batteries and a solar array and carry spare batteries but with the recent changes I'm not sure that's still viable.

And yeah, if you don't have a reactor, large electric vehicles aren't really viable because 500lbs of battery lasts like four maptiles for a 12 ton+ vehicle. And the more batteries you pile on, the heavier the car gets and the more energy it takes to move it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: December 07, 2016, 04:29:22 am »

Wait, what happened to swappable batteries?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: December 07, 2016, 04:51:41 am »

Somewhat belatedly, the main reason I said Arcana didn't get much in the way of votes requires context. Like PK's mod, it's a big extensive pain in the ass to maintain. Unlike PK's mod, it's been official for a fair while longer. In any other context, I would've been more than pleased with getting beyond 100 votes.

But in this context, it would've been proof that the mod isn't worth supporting.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:00 am »

My favourite vehicle is definitely the shopping cart.

...Possibly the wheelcart.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: December 07, 2016, 07:57:09 am »

yea

alrernatirs, ingame, take power and extra fuel from the engine to charge a battery.  alternators have long been incompatible with electric engines
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:12 am »

Ahhh. I didn't know that. I have little experience with vehicular mechanics.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:37 pm »

Wait, what happened to swappable batteries?
Swapable storage batteries are still in last I checked.  But they need a swappable storage battery case to be installed (they are otherwise normal storage batteries) also normal car and motorcycle batteries are far more swappable now.  Requiring far, far less time to remove or add than most parts and not needing a hacksaw. 

Funnily enough because swappable storage batteries still take the same amount of time to install or remove as normal parts, car batteries are now more or less the new swappables.  I'm sure someone will fix that soon, I imagine it's just one line in a json file.  (looks at json)  4 lines.  Counting curly braces.

I could probably do it if I knew how to submit to github without needing to install a programming language.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:00:31 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: December 07, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

Is there a screenshot command?

I prntscrn but it captures my damn desktop instead. Bah.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:25 pm »

try alt-prtsc. That's the windows command for taking a printscreen of only the active window.   I don't think cata has it's own printscreen though.

alt-prtsc works in other programs as well by the way. It's a windows command not a cataclysm one, so it should work for anything.  I'm sure linux and macs have a similar command. 

(prtsc being your printscreen button, some keyboards spell it out fully mine is multifunction, so they condensed it to fit everything)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:39:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 451