Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803008 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4410 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:10 pm »

If you aimed for Toady-like realism, physical stats should affect hunger ticks. If you are really muscular, you need more calories than without any muscles at all. So I suppose a gigantic bodybuilder that just sits and reads would still eat more than 5ft tall reed stick.
Or a... 5ft tall read stick?

That said, if being stronger made you more hungry, I'd figure that the game should focus on more beneficial realism first, I.E. the body being able to sequester emergency calories in the form of fat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:40:02 pm by iceball3 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: January 30, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »

I'd rather not have the game start handing out penalties for having higher stats. You can think of strength as a purely mental measure of how good you are at using your strength, just please don't make it a disadvantage to be good at something?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: January 30, 2017, 05:34:32 pm »

I like the idea of negatives for high levels.

High Str is increased caloric reqs.
High Dex is jitteryness or relative frailty.
High Int is the mental imbalances.
High Per is ticks and perhaps fixations.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: January 30, 2017, 06:41:15 pm »

That would be awesome. Perhaps combined with traits lowering/raising thresholds for when affected. Mostly so that alphas arent totally screwed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: January 30, 2017, 07:17:59 pm »

Why aren't walker legs a part on vehicles yet?  Like 8-legged tanks, insect style.  Slow, but ignores terrain obstacles.  Potentially small foldable versions too, like spindly little legs.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: January 31, 2017, 03:38:53 am »

Why aren't walker legs a part on vehicles yet?  Like 8-legged tanks, insect style.  Slow, but ignores terrain obstacles.  Potentially small foldable versions too, like spindly little legs.

great idea

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:52 am »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »

I only just now realized those buggers have wheels on the ends of their limbs. That doesn't count. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: January 31, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »

The wheels are so they get the best of both worlds; they use the legs like legs off-road, and roll on the wheels on-. Really, though, I suspect it's more the grappling hooks that would make them not count than anything. :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »

The dev community has very interesting ideas of what qualifies as realism for the setting.

And besides, legged based vehicles are utterly impractical so it'd have to be a completely survivor built project, which is beyond the game's single-survivor with limited tools level.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: January 31, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »

Anything is 'realistic' given sufficient application of money, effort, and fringe physics. There are already several functional spider walker designs that people have built with consumer-grade tools and hard work. The main issue is that they're generally really slow and unless you know the math behind ground pressure, you probably won't be able to put much on the vehicle without some creative over-engineering.
Nothing important here, move along.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: January 31, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »

The dev community has very interesting ideas of what qualifies as realism for the setting.

And besides, legged based vehicles are utterly impractical so it'd have to be a completely survivor built project, which is beyond the game's single-survivor with limited tools level.

Don't look at me, with my acid-spitting jade-decorated leather armor, flashbang warhammers, the fucking Sigil, etc. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: January 31, 2017, 07:13:33 pm »

Boston Dynamic has walkers practically already.  Slow, expensive, even not very fuel efficient, but able to traverse anything that isn't a solid wall.  It's not hard to imagine building one.  Even a common survivor with decent stats in mechanics could build an eight-legged hydraulic walker.  It's not actually that complicated, it's just that wheels are VASTLY superior in all efficient ways, so there's no reason to make a walker in the real world because it's just expensive and does less.  But in Cata, it doesn't matter.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: January 31, 2017, 07:19:36 pm »

Don't look at me, with my acid-spitting jade-decorated leather armor, flashbang warhammers, the fucking Sigil, etc. o3o

It's tough to look at it now that it's more work to get running in the main game. :c
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: January 31, 2017, 07:21:53 pm »

Walkers would be useful on rocky, mountainous, or otherwise unstable terrain that wheeled or tracked vehicles would be hard-pressed to cross. It would actually be very useful in a survival setting, as roads are probably crumbling or just straight up not there anymore and there's not really much way to build new ones, but at the same time, Cataclysm is fairly flat and there's not really many places where that one advantage would actually come into play.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 451