Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803265 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4635 on: June 01, 2017, 06:31:10 pm »

What if there was diminishing returns for learning-by-reading after a certain point (and very slowly increasing returns for doing) instead?
Black lives matter.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: June 02, 2017, 04:49:46 am »

Are those Rivtech shotguns still in the game? The grenade rounds for it were fucking overpowered lol, might consider carrying a grenade launcher, going to see if the guys claiming that the tank drone can be survived are right, I highly doubt it unless it literally makes more racket than a mininuke landmine chain going off
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: June 02, 2017, 05:16:57 am »

Yeah, book are stupidly easy, and not that interesting. The "Let's sit in a cabin with a ton of cans of food and a small library for two weeks until my character is a demi-god" phase of the game isn't interesting.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:50 am »

Yeah, book are stupidly easy, and not that interesting. The "Let's sit in a cabin with a ton of cans of food and a small library for two weeks until my character is a demi-god" phase of the game isn't interesting.
Nope, but I'd rather search for the right book, forage the stuff needed to slack for a while and read rather than grind repetitive actions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 02, 2017, 12:04:07 pm »

Well, how is that different from forage for parts and food and then set to batch-craft X objects?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: June 02, 2017, 01:36:07 pm »

because it takes forever to find enough parts to batch craft when each craft raises your skill by like 3%. And then you have to find food and water on top of that. And then you're wasting loads of resources batch crafting stuff you will mostly never need or use.

Books you can just do a couple of food runs and stick a jerrycan outside with a funnel and you're good. Then I can just watch a stream or something while shifting back to read and sleep.

This is partly a fundamental problem with the skill system. Some skills just aren't used enough to be raised quickly enough for them to be useful, so you need artificial ways to raise them. There isn't really a way around it unless the devs wanna start trading realism for gameplay.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: June 02, 2017, 02:17:08 pm »

Could do it Prey style with nanite injections straight to the brain.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:56 pm »

Agreed, some stuff is just too irritating to grind. Like electronics. Also, realistically odds are EXTREMELY low you'd be able to just figure out electronics or mechanics by taking stuff apart, there's a colossal ton of basic stuff you need to know that isn't obvious for it IRL. No amount of taking apart flashlights and radios can prepare you for solar cells that also teach you how to make fusion blaster guns.... Sometimes you need a schematic.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: June 03, 2017, 01:10:45 am »

Could do it Prey style with nanite injections straight to the brain.

Would have to grind a few skills to be able to apply them in a first place. At failure it could decrease character's knowledge or fry his brain. But that's a nice idea to add more bionics.

I have a tank drone in a city on my current save. It helped me a few times by shooting the swarm off. Would try to lure more zeds to it some day and finally loot whole city. There is quite a lot of junk on 2x item spawn factor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: June 03, 2017, 01:53:59 am »

Agreed, some stuff is just too irritating to grind. Like electronics. Also, realistically odds are EXTREMELY low you'd be able to just figure out electronics or mechanics by taking stuff apart, there's a colossal ton of basic stuff you need to know that isn't obvious for it IRL. No amount of taking apart flashlights and radios can prepare you for solar cells that also teach you how to make fusion blaster guns.... Sometimes you need a schematic.

Yeah, but skill grinding is realistic, isn't it? 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:00 am »

they made mechanics intentionally obtuse to enter.  and id argue it mostly works out okay for the game.

electronics is also left hard to raise, im sure intentionally.  though with a recipe and just one item you can do it.
  wish there was a way to subcategorize it so that the flashlight -> superblaster though.

all skills would benefit from subdivision or gateways.

traps gets the short end, as does medicine and construction used to
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:11 am »

Well, don't you already need a recipe for a lot of high-end electronics? I was under the impression that a lot of stuff can't be unlocked by skill alone

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: June 03, 2017, 11:38:54 am »

they made mechanics intentionally obtuse to enter.  and id argue it mostly works out okay for the game.

Yes, because having to wave a fucking crowbar at an unlocked door and close it again 100 times is both realistic and a good idea. Seriously, that's the most efficient method to get skill level 1 unless you're up to your eyeballs in locked doors.

Problem here is mechanics is used to a lot of other things besides fucking with cars. I added the mortar and pestle to More Survival Tools explicitly because having to invest in deathmoble skill when you're a luddite innawoods hermit (or settle down and build up clay production) just to grind some flour is horseshit.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 03, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »

hey now, i have a 'scrap metal chimes' recipe for just that reason you :o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 09, 2017, 03:54:06 am »

Tailoring and fabrication can be leveled to 7 without books.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 451