Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794328 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4875 on: September 16, 2017, 05:00:58 am »

It matters a lot how you started.

I've been playing cata since Whales. There was only ascii, and like Pisskop, you stop seeing the ascii. In contrast, tiles feel unusual and awkard.

Likewise with DF. I've been playing this since 2008. I cant fathom it with a graphical frontend
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: September 16, 2017, 05:22:55 am »

I play Cata with tiles (usually). DF on the other hand I started with tiles, but switched to ascii when a new version came out and I didn't want to wait for the tilesets to update. Never went back, because why bother?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: September 16, 2017, 11:32:22 am »

I have a hard time playing DF with ASCII. I get eye strain. Quite a few tile sets also give me eye strain. ASCII Cata does not. Tile Cata just looks weird and disjointed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: September 16, 2017, 01:34:36 pm »

I'm used to tiles for CDDA, ASCII for DF.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: September 16, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »

ASCII for CDDA and DF, due to use.
Mostly because tiles in CDDA make vehicles look horrible to me, and in DF I jsut think it looks better as ascii.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: September 16, 2017, 08:44:52 pm »

I have never found a tile set that I liked the look of for CDDA or DF and I'm so used to the ASCII it doesn't bother me any more. Also mod added items don't have tiles.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:17 pm »

and theres a lot of mod added items, yeah im the same ascii currently it works good anyway

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:42 pm »

It's funny how many of us prefer ASCII or Tiles for DF and the opposite for Cata. Someone not as tired as myself could probably make a deep thoughtful conclusion about what that means for us. I'm a DF/Tiles, Cata/ASCII guy myself, to put my two cents in.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: September 23, 2017, 12:10:12 am »

I use ASCII in DF, but RetroDays tiles for Cata. I think DF looks and feels better with ASCII, partly because of the kinda quaint feeling it gives off, and partly because I'm too attached to some of the ASCII, like the smiley-face dwarves and the fancy lines used for walls. But for Cataclysm, part of it is that the game feels too "modern" for straight-up ASCII to match it, and part of it is that I feel the base ASCII looks awful. The lines are too thin and the font is too tall; it makes the world feel empty and misshapen.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: September 23, 2017, 06:11:38 am »

Yeah, I agree. CDDA's ASCII just doesn't really look right to me to the same extent that DF's does, the latter uses a much broader selection of characters for its symbols, and it uses them well.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4885 on: September 23, 2017, 02:41:33 pm »

(Bias info: I prefer ASCII DDA and DF, but I'm much more likely to use a DF tileset than I am a DDA one)

Pretty sure it's simply a matter of the size of the userbases of the two games.
Some small x% of each is going to care enough about the graphics to put out custom graphics for any game.
With DF's base being so much larger, (afterall, we're but a subset of DF users, but we account for a significant amount of DDA users,) there's simply going to be more people creating DF tilesets, and more likely to be people actually interested in maintaining them. (And sometimes not even the original creators!)

With the vast amount of info needed to be represented by every tile, plus the additional info that DDA tilesets often don't bother accounting for until a version or two after they've been introduced, it's not a big surprise that many DDA users simply prefer the default ASCII, which, by it's nature, is going to be more up to date with new info than a DDA tileset is. (This is ignoring the fact that DDA doesn't represent as much info at a glance as DF does, since DF uses a few extra states per tile/ASCII than DDA does.)

On the other hand, DF's popular tilesets rarely go more than a week or two without an update following any release, so there's probably not a lot of people that even notice that there's a release before the tilesets have been updated.

Not all that much more thoughtful, but perhaps a little bit along the lines of what Man of Paper was thinking of elucidating upon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:10 pm »

I can´t seem to disassemble microwaves. Is this a known bug_ ? (Cthulhu's branch)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: September 23, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

Do you have the tools? It's been a long time, but I would throw a guess that you'd need a screwdriver, hacksaw, and soldering iron at least.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »

I have an integrated toolset. And there are a number of things I cannot dissasemble for some reason.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: September 24, 2017, 02:50:54 am »

Are you by any chance trying to dissemble using the (B)utcher command in dark?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 451