Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803196 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6135 on: March 06, 2019, 09:54:44 pm »

What?

Just don't use it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: March 06, 2019, 10:04:13 pm »

It's been said multiple times that the problem goes beyond dirty clothes, but dirty clothes is the most visible portion of the tedium trend. At this point I've more or less given up on it because I don't have the energy to list out every dumb change since I quit playing that's kept me from getting back into it, and I've tried.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: March 06, 2019, 10:35:14 pm »

Game seems pretty customizable to me. Mold it into what you want it to be. You have options.

Plus you can just play an older version if you prefer that.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:09 pm »

I'm well aware it's a different game than it was six years ago and that whales was building something else, I just don't understand why you are still going on about it. The dev direction isn't changing, and while I disagree with your impression of it, I get that it isn't the game you want. It's the game I want, the game a great many people want, and the reason more people keep joining up to continue the development direction in the way it's going is that not everyone feels "more realistic", "more detailed", and "more fun" are opposed. I can't believe I'd have to say that in the bay12games forum of all places.

Moreover, it's not like Kevin's some tin pot dictator. It's his branch. He's an asshole sometimes, but it isn't simple chance that his branch has been going strong this long... asshole or not, the game he's making is one that a lot of people want to play and contribute to, and he has a pretty distinct plan for it that continues to come together. Most of us enjoy working with him, that's why we do.

So, you can have a thread where you keep complaining about the little things you don't like the sound of in a game you freely admit you don't even play, or you can let the growing community of people who do play it talk about it and enjoy it I guess. I'd personally much rather talk about actual stuff happening with the game than bemoan some frankly trivial bugfix about when you can do your laundry.

(Edit to add: also, filthy wasn't added by Kevin. Oddly enough he's not the only person who contributes, many people have similar ideas for how the game should go. In fact it came out in 2016, which I believe would have been around the time Kevin wasn't active because he had a new baby.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:01:22 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: March 07, 2019, 12:16:51 am »

Before I launch into this tirade, I just want to say that I think your tileset looks amazing so far and I personally think that it is very cool that you are actively working to improve a game that you enjoy.

Now I'm going to lay into you like a John Deere combine into a field of dry wheat.

This thread is for open discussion of C:DDA, and I assume that it will remain so until i2amroy or Toady shuts it down.  That means that the negative feedback stands alongside the positive here.

To be clear I do not have a personal stake in the changes, as has been stated previously I just stopped with the last version I enjoyed.  I empathize with both sides of this discussion, some of the changes seem tedious to no point, and on the other hand there have been a great number of changes that add depth to the simulationist aspect of the game.

Nonetheless, this attitude that the current C:DDA team and followers espouse is even more toxic than the griping that goes on here.  Look at what you typed, you just tried to shut down differing opinions because you don't agree with them.  That right there is toxic as fuck and makes it impossible to have any sort of meaningful conversation.  Maybe you haven't caught on, but what one person finds interesting to talk about and what others want to talk about rarely align for more than a few posts, and this thread exists so that all of those viewpoints can be explored.  This sorrowfully means that there will be a hell of a lot of tired retreading of old ground, because to some people that is where their emotional investment lies.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:22:22 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:08 am »

And this is why it's worse than it has to be. I said there are issues with the core game that keep me from playing anymore, but that I had tried to play it and things like the larger clothes rework/the older tailoring changes, firearms aiming, farming changes, bionics changes/removal/irritation increases, whatever all made it boring as hell. And yes, I tried to play it more than once to see how things had gone.

But any mention of that all directly goes back to one single thing that gets dismissed immediately because that particular irritation happens to be moddable when all the others aren't. I think I've been pretty civil here, but I see no reason I shouldn't be allowed to voice my displeasure at a game I once enjoyed going in a direction I have tried and actively dislike every time I try to get back into it again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:05 am »

What?

Just don't use it.
Most of the problems in the same vein don't have an option to turn them off, and Kevin has directly confirmed that he's deliberately avoiding giving people those options. The issue is with the underlying design philosophy/attitude behind the "dirty clothes" change, not the thing itself. It's barely relevant for the first three or four days of a new game, and only if you can't find any good clothing/mil surplus stores.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:46:36 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: March 07, 2019, 01:29:39 am »

Nonetheless, this attitude that the current C:DDA team and followers espouse is even more toxic than the griping that goes on here.  Look at what you typed, you just tried to shut down differing opinions because you don't agree with them.  That right there is toxic as fuck and makes it impossible to have any sort of meaningful conversation.

Oh, come on. I was pretty specific in how I worded what I said, and meant it as I said it: by all means, keep talking about things that changed three, four, or five years ago, or saying how much you dislike things going on in a game all of you don't actually play because you don't like the direction it's been taking for half a decade. The only way I am "shutting anyone down" is by observing how incredibly petty and pointless that is: these things are very old history now. Whales left cataclysm ages ago, and Dark Days Ahead as a fork has had its path laid out for a long time. We have no shortage of places to go for feedback, nobody - including me - really cares if this thread is going to be relentlessly negative. I just don't understand why anyone would expend the energy on such a fruitless pursuit... even more baffling because the most relentlessly negative people in the thread all just reiterated that they don't like and don't play the game. And, like, I came here to talk and share dev stuff because I'd heard it was a moderately active place to do that... but scanning through the thread I've quickly realized why nobody else bothers with this one little corner. For pete's sake, a few posts back one of the frequent posters here called a friend of mine a "DENSE FUCK" and that, apparently, was OK; so is calling us "yes-men" to a "tin pot dictator" because we happened to enjoy and volunteer our time to work on a game you don't like; but me suggesting people maybe move on from complaining about a game they don't play that isn't ever going to be what they want (and is very clearly outlined to continue moving away from that) is toxic?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: March 07, 2019, 02:13:39 am »

Erk, proposed fix is make combat knife, sword bayonet and fancy fighting knife muzzle mods again instead of underbarrel mods. I think I even have a functional mod version for it, which should disable the prexisting versions and replace them with identical in every respect excepting where they attach. I have a feeling that its going to bork professions that start with the things, and Im worried about it conflicting with diamond coating, but ahwell, better than finding a bolt-action and failing to attach a bayonet to it because "lol, no bayonets possible on mosin-nagants/M1903 Springfields/etc. etc."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: March 07, 2019, 03:06:26 am »

Guys, I've said it more than once: the problem here is that we dont have an alternate dev team. DDA could be branched (or coolthulu's, or whatever), but there's noone really willing to take the bull by the horns. This is not criticism btw: I'm also not happy about the changes im recent years (and havent played the game since 2017. Not least because I not only dislike the changes, but find that it has become clunky as a result)  but I dont have the time or the experience to get into developing it.  And TBH I don't have the inclination either: I play videogames as a hobby. I dont have a keen interest in developing them.
I assume that many people here afe in the same situation.  But until/unless we find a team willingmto develop DDA in the direction we'd prefer we are pretty much screwed.

I dont really expect this Granade guy to change his mind. As I said in a previous post, it's his time and his effort, and thus at the end of the day unless someone else willing to do the job shows up he will be the one calling the shots
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: March 07, 2019, 04:42:47 am »

Guys, I've said it more than once: the problem here is that we dont have an alternate dev team. DDA could be branched (or coolthulu's, or whatever), but there's noone really willing to take the bull by the horns. This is not criticism btw: I'm also not happy about the changes im recent years (and havent played the game since 2017. Not least because I not only dislike the changes, but find that it has become clunky as a result)  but I dont have the time or the experience to get into developing it.  And TBH I don't have the inclination either: I play videogames as a hobby. I dont have a keen interest in developing them.
I assume that many people here afe in the same situation.  But until/unless we find a team willingmto develop DDA in the direction we'd prefer we are pretty much screwed.

I dont really expect this Granade guy to change his mind. As I said in a previous post, it's his time and his effort, and thus at the end of the day unless someone else willing to do the job shows up he will be the one calling the shots

the best thing peeps can do is to spread the word through the dev community, maybe others will organise in the future.  Or just see where this "kevin" takes the base game.  Maybe someone could support forks and see if something can go, I do enjoy the old and the new game and the fork.  Maybe more modding programming contributions could be a middle ground in the community

Erks new tile set is an example of progress where progress is possible

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: March 07, 2019, 10:18:22 am »

This, many times over. Kevin forked the game, and is making the game he wants; not surprisingly the people joining him on his fork also want that game. There's no special voodoo to creating a different fork.

There's also lots of support from the dev team for if someone wants to make a cyberpunk light-realism conversion mod within the main game; nobody has stepped up for either.  Those of us adding stuff now just add what we're interested in, and this is what we're interested in. If someone were interested in making a bundled mod with a bunch more CBMs and crazy items that didn't fit the game theme, even adding c++ support for it, the dev team would not only not have a problem, but a couple of the coders would be highly supportive.

Personally I'm like 95% on board with the game we're making, so I'm pretty happy with the state of things myself. The tileset is another little part in my goal of making the game feel like our earth but dead.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: March 07, 2019, 01:37:14 pm »

I'm normally the one that points out silly shit going on in a game here. Instead I'm gonna derail to post a fragment of my early steps into dabbling with Erk's tileset style.

Only real additions are a dress shirt, gilded aegis, and mask of insight. The .XCF version also has a separate overlay for an active version of the mask, which messes with the shading to try and give it an angrier look.

Will wait before adding more for when the template is updated with Fuji's newer version of the human sprite, I'll already need to make minor tweaks to this.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: March 07, 2019, 06:45:11 pm »

Erk, proposed fix is make combat knife, sword bayonet and fancy fighting knife muzzle mods again instead of underbarrel mods. I think I even have a functional mod version for it, which should disable the prexisting versions and replace them with identical in every respect excepting where they attach. I have a feeling that its going to bork professions that start with the things, and Im worried about it conflicting with diamond coating, but ahwell, better than finding a bolt-action and failing to attach a bayonet to it because "lol, no bayonets possible on mosin-nagants/M1903 Springfields/etc. etc."

Come to think of it, why not add an under barrel attachment slot for those weapons? The real problem here is that we can't whitelist specific mods yet, and in terms of priority it's just not that huge a thing... But I'd say being able to attach an underbarrel mod to a mosin-nagant is less weird than sticking a bayonet on the muzzle, personally.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: March 07, 2019, 08:38:52 pm »

More effort, less sense, and bayonets go on the muzzle of firearms anyways. Well, or in them for plug bayonets, but those arent nice. Besides, then(atleast in the case of the M1A and Mosins) it would negate the need for the EBR versions.

To expand on the above: I can go grab piles and piles of imagery around the internet of bayonets on the muzzle of a gun, and none(except weird tacticool pistol bayonets or super strange things on piccitinny) of them underbarrel. It would also be changing a minimum of 10 files instead of 3 to 5, and would make less sense for balance, what with certain firearms already having versions with an underbarrel slot(although those appear to be based on thinking its getting a bipod or foregrip).

Mostly though, it jsut grates at my brain for underbarrel bayonets not working on most guns where they make sense and other firearms being "too small" to have them as underbarrel things(certain shotguns with sword bayonets have given me that error from time to time).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:46:37 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 451