Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787271 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6225 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:31 pm »

Aftershock has been added to the "packaged mods" which means it ships with downloads of the game and, relevantly, we are able to make sure stuff we add doesn't conflict with it because the current source code is available.

It's not getting mainlined ever, but a few of the devs are helping with c++ support for it, so it should be pretty viable.

(Chickens could actually fly, it was making it really hard to build chicken coops)
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:52 pm »

There are worldgen options for those, and have been IIRC since before Whales abandoned Cataclysm.

Setting -> Options -> World Defaults. Size of cities increases/decreases city size. City spacing increases/decreases distance between cities. Max the latter at 8, set the former at 10-12, and you get large cities with decent distance between them. Bear in mind that if you make them too big the sprawl can sometimes partially negate the increased spacing.

Ah, sorry, I know about that. I meant worldgen options to have different sizes for different cities, I.E. have city class A at 11 have city class B at 4 and... well, I guess that wouldn't work all that well, huh? Better wait for the "megacity" biome, ig.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: March 14, 2019, 07:27:34 pm »

Why don't we give up on world-scale procedural generation and instead just use a real-world map of new england? :D
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: March 14, 2019, 08:17:54 pm »

Yeah, but it's more of a tall jump than actual flying. Could the chickens actually fly?

Domestic chickens, especially the ones raised in a torture-factory, are generally incapable of flight due to being bred for rapid weight gain and possibly having the tips of their wings clipped. Wild chickens can fly short distances, though. I don't know how post-apocalypse chickens would do.

To be perfectly honest though, I didn't realize anything could actually fly in this game. I figured flying things just moved very fast.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:41 pm »

From what I've read, wild chicken flight is still pretty pathetic. Certainly not enough to jump over 9' obstacles, which is what flight lets you do in cdda.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:32 pm »

One of the many effects of THE BLOB was to make wild chickens able to fly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: March 14, 2019, 08:43:56 pm »

And thus, we get the dread zocken, right at the border of the blob's minimum size threshold.  They warned us poultry farms were breeding them too large, but we thought we could play God.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:06 pm »

There are worldgen options for those, and have been IIRC since before Whales abandoned Cataclysm.

Setting -> Options -> World Defaults. Size of cities increases/decreases city size. City spacing increases/decreases distance between cities. Max the latter at 8, set the former at 10-12, and you get large cities with decent distance between them. Bear in mind that if you make them too big the sprawl can sometimes partially negate the increased spacing.

Ah, sorry, I know about that. I meant worldgen options to have different sizes for different cities, I.E. have city class A at 11 have city class B at 4 and... well, I guess that wouldn't work all that well, huh? Better wait for the "megacity" biome, ig.

Ah. Well, for what it's worth, at size 8-10 I still see a mix of everything from those little hamlets with <20 buildings right up to good-sized cities with, I'unno, somewhere in the mid triple digit range (depending on how you count the larger cities caused by several running together).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:28 pm »

From what I've read, wild chicken flight is still pretty pathetic. Certainly not enough to jump over 9' obstacles, which is what flight lets you do in cdda.
Chickens can reach heights of 8-12 feet and have distance records out into several hundred feet (though most can't manage much more than 40-50 feet). Bear in mind that that's feral/wild chickens and some breeds of domestics that aren't heavily bred for being fat, immobile lumps of meat, and that they don't have clipped wings (as most chickens kept both by commercial industry and private hobbyists/raisers do).

S'not something every chicken can do, but it's well within the realm of plausibility. Saying "chickens can't fly over a 9' obstacle" is like saying "humans can't run a mile in a minute". Technically true for some individuals, but certainly not a hard rule for the whole population.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:48 pm »

Saying "chickens can't fly over a 9' obstacle" is like saying "humans can't run a mile in a minute". Technically true for some individuals, but certainly not a hard rule for the whole population.
Okay I respect the actual point you're making, but the image of someone running 60MPH for a minute made me laugh out loud.
(I used to run cross-country tho so)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:03 pm »

Okay, so it might be realistic for it to be possible for chickens to sometimes clear your fence and escape, forcing you to go wrangle them. The question is if this makes for good gameplay. :P

(Personally I say make a chicken herding minigame and go for it but maybe that's not the kind of thrilling cyberpunk experience you're after~)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: March 14, 2019, 10:37:30 pm »

Saying "chickens can't fly over a 9' obstacle" is like saying "humans can't run a mile in a minute". Technically true for some individuals, but certainly not a hard rule for the whole population.
Okay I respect the actual point you're making, but the image of someone running 60MPH for a minute made me laugh out loud.
(I used to run cross-country tho so)
Yah, was joke. Or supposed to be -- since something eminently possible was being treated as fantastical, I thought it was a funny way to make the point inversely.

3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: March 15, 2019, 12:13:41 am »

The ability of exceptional chickens isn't really relevant to the discussion... Chickens in the game spawn with "average" stats for a chicken that most likely escaped captivity during the apocalypse. Although it would be fun to develop a complex system of chicken jump heights by species, varying by time since the apocalypse that they've had to lean up and exercise, with a random chance for wing clipping, I think dev time is better spent saying "chickens can't jump over fences."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: March 15, 2019, 12:42:30 am »

@Erk: While I've fiddled around with GitHub, since I'm completely new to it I think I'll instead upload the files zipped to Dropbox and link to them here.
Linky link here.

I've included all the monster I've done so far in this 7z pack including two versions of the bat, one large and one small. I'm happy with either one being used so I'll leave it up to you if you don't mind. It also has a modified decayed zombie with a less prominent mouth.

As always any suggestions from you or anyone else here are more than welcome.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: March 15, 2019, 07:14:42 am »

Domestic chickens can fly, if they dont get their wings clipped or are raised in a torture factory. But no, not enough to clear 9' fences. Not enough for 5' fences, for that matter. So, grand, chickens cn nolonger fly at all in CDDA, coulda put a better term on in fer it, and I sure hope they can still fly down a level.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 451