Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787369 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6345 on: April 19, 2019, 06:01:22 pm »

The only thing I'm really aware of is the inclusion of modern composite bows, which in theory would allow for nerfing the lower-power bows depending on how the increased weapon variety is balanced, but in practice as far as I can tell it didn't really have any substantial impact on the overall early-mid game balance of archery.

If anything, the most likely effect is instead that mod-late game archery has a wider variety of options, from the choice between going modern (which can be crafted via books) vs gunning for greatbows as a mutie.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: April 19, 2019, 07:22:28 pm »

Guns seem fine to me most of the time. Even at low skill levels.
Rifles can be unreasonably slow to aim at close range from time to time but that's about it. shouldveusedapistol.jpg

Mods become somewhat pointless at higher skill levels when it comes to range.  I dunno. Bit weird but it isn't terrible.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: April 20, 2019, 01:59:26 pm »

Did they lower the spawn rates in shelter basements?  I think I've seen like one item total in a basement.

Current guy's on day 5, longest I've ever lasted.  Found a ranch with only a couple zombies.  Giant ants on the road though, will have to find a working vehicle i guess. towns on the starting map are tiny and ive hit all the worthwhile places.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: April 20, 2019, 03:10:02 pm »

Yes, but it was quite some time ago - maybe years. There's at least some chance that the shelter will be a well stocked one (sometimes containing zombies too when it is). But I don't know the hows and why's behind how that, maybe it's just RNG.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: April 20, 2019, 11:18:59 pm »

Made it to day 6 and got cop-botted.  Lesson learned.  Now playing as a bow hunter evacuee, a cabin in a nice spot near the shelter and a moose at the shelter, so I guess we cabin boys now.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: April 21, 2019, 05:53:23 am »

I almost always start as a cop so I can get emergency bot-up in dire situations.

Tiny in what way? Like graphics? Or buildings?

In the ways of graphics/tiles. After experimenting with and comparing between tilesets for a bit I think I was just misremembering, though. I think it's the character/zombie sprites in the new default set thay was giving me that impression, they feel a lot more cramped than the ones in the tileset I used to make use of (and many of the static objects assets feel the same size). I've decided to settle on the idea that it is an unfortunate side effect from being more detailed. Not gonna switch back anyway, I want the changeable look feature more.

I mean for all I know it could be a matter of resolutions or other arcane graphics stuff instead, but I'm not savvy enough to make any judgements as to that.
Love, scriver~

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:42 pm »

Made it to day 6 and got cop-botted.  Lesson learned.  Now playing as a bow hunter evacuee, a cabin in a nice spot near the shelter and a moose at the shelter, so I guess we cabin boys now.
bow hunters can also go bush as well if one wants a wilderness approach.  So its an interesting gameplay option - just hope that side of things is expanded in future as well

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:28 am »

Well, I got 7433 from little under a year ago and am trying to figure out how much has changed since then. What brought stuff over the threshold to a version 0.D and what stuff had gotten added in the past year?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: April 30, 2019, 11:32:13 am »

Well, I got 7433 from little under a year ago and am trying to figure out how much has changed since then. What brought stuff over the threshold to a version 0.D and what stuff had gotten added in the past year?

That's a huge question.

The 0.D threshold was that there were a set number of specific major bugs and features that needed to be added to be called "0.D", defined a while back. When some of the big ones were finished off, a 'feature freeze' was declared and for a few months only bugfix related changes were added to the project. Then when the biggest bugs were squashed, 0.D was released.

As for features in the last year... I've only been around since October and in that time we've had very big changes to map generation, cities in particular becoming more realistic; NPCs, with tons more added and a lot more background to random generated ones, as well as a lot better AI with features like 'run away' and 'investigate noises' making NPCs behave playably intelligent now although still pretty dumb; better Z-levels with roofs on most buildings that you can climb to and take refuge from; tons of useful features like the ability to drag stuff on the ground, zone management that lets you automatically sort items or do most farming in autopilot mode; waaaay more content and more on the way.

For context, I am a pretty active contributor and after missing a week I needed an update on all the things that had happened in one week to NPC dialogue infrastructure so that I could use those changes in my additions. And the update was long. It's actually getting tough to keep up with how fast stuff is getting added.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: April 30, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »

Stuff tumbling by at lightning speed, basically. Hell, already I'm juggling a bunch of changes that mainly affect modding, adding to stuff one can do.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: April 30, 2019, 06:16:20 pm »

That's a huge question.

The 0.D threshold was that there were a set number of specific major bugs and features that needed to be added to be called "0.D", defined a while back. When some of the big ones were finished off, a 'feature freeze' was declared and for a few months only bugfix related changes were added to the project. Then when the biggest bugs were squashed, 0.D was released.

As for features in the last year... I've only been around since October and in that time we've had very big changes to map generation, cities in particular becoming more realistic; NPCs, with tons more added and a lot more background to random generated ones, as well as a lot better AI with features like 'run away' and 'investigate noises' making NPCs behave playably intelligent now although still pretty dumb; better Z-levels with roofs on most buildings that you can climb to and take refuge from; tons of useful features like the ability to drag stuff on the ground, zone management that lets you automatically sort items or do most farming in autopilot mode; waaaay more content and more on the way.

For context, I am a pretty active contributor and after missing a week I needed an update on all the things that had happened in one week to NPC dialogue infrastructure so that I could use those changes in my additions. And the update was long. It's actually getting tough to keep up with how fast stuff is getting added.

this is a good thing as more contributors have stepped up to the plate, reducing kevins insistence on certain thing, or facilitating a quicker development profile towards 0.E ?  Ive also noticed a couple of forks getting some dev time seperatley as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:01 pm »

That's a huge question.

this is a good thing as more contributors have stepped up to the plate, reducing kevins insistence on certain thing, or facilitating a quicker development profile towards 0.E ?  Ive also noticed a couple of forks getting some dev time seperatley as well.

Remain cautiously optimistic. He didn't hesitate to find excuses to ban notable contributors who made PRs he didn't like from the git in the past, and I doubt it'll never happen again.

Really the best hope is that someone with time and energy to spare will pick up a fork and stick with it, since that's the only thing that will give us a tolerable up-to-date build/light enough of a fire under the chore-list-as-gameplay clique's collective ass to shit the game up less and make more of the good new content additions that have been trickling along.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: May 02, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »

Hey, doesn't OP need to change the post title to reference 0.D?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: May 02, 2019, 09:08:51 pm »

i2amroy hasn't been online for over a month, so good luck on that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: May 03, 2019, 11:47:17 am »

didn't i2amroy have a falling-out with Kevin? I remember some bad blood there and then his activity sorta fell off a cliff.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 451