Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787223 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6391 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:39 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out what the doc means by " leading to absurdities like a wooden wood axe." shouldn't a wooden axe be made of wood?
A 'wood axe' is a specific type of axe, not meant to imply the axe itself is made of wood. Yes, English is stupid. Yes, I understand you may have been joking. I'm clarifying anyway because I've run into this before in other games with non-native English speakers who thought 'wood axe' meant an axe made of wood.

Incidentally you CAN make an axe analogue out of wood, for some definitions of 'axe'. With bamboo or some types of hardwood there are ways to make an adze out of wood which can fell a tree. Tedious and not very sturdy but workable.

I'm a native English speaker who wasn't joking, I'm just not very familiar with axes

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: May 13, 2019, 03:51:36 pm »

I personally think the doc refers to the fact you can somehow carve the wood and sticks into an axe with only the aid of something that’s also made of wood (though the texture for the crafting table does show metal tools on it that come from seemingly nowhere).

Very much this.

Minecraft crafting is a conceptual puzzle game, it's not meant to simulate real crafting. We see a surprising number of people wanting to contribute very minecrafty recipes. "I have silicon and metal, I should be able to make a transistor!" kinda stuff. That's what the line is meant to address.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: May 14, 2019, 05:37:09 am »

I've got a testing "release" of my horse-riding and horse-drawn vehicles PR if anyone wants to take a bash at it and try and break it and tell me how it broke.

Cataclysm is one of those games that are impossible to think of every scenario by yourself.
Testing is required otherwise there will be bugs like " My horse teleported away from me while a hulk punched a vehicle into me and i was in the middle of reading a book on horseback" or some obscure stuff like that.

Windows exe provided, or you can pull the PR on github.

https://github.com/davidpwbrown/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/v0.1-alpha
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/30459

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: May 14, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »

I've got a testing "release" of my horse-riding and horse-drawn vehicles PR if anyone wants to take a bash at it and try and break it and tell me how it broke.

Cataclysm is one of those games that are impossible to think of every scenario by yourself.
Testing is required otherwise there will be bugs like " My horse teleported away from me while a hulk punched a vehicle into me and i was in the middle of reading a book on horseback" or some obscure stuff like that.

Windows exe provided, or you can pull the PR on github.

https://github.com/davidpwbrown/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/v0.1-alpha
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/30459

thanks ill take a look and give feedback

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: May 21, 2019, 07:17:15 am »

So, from all this talky talk it looks like new version are not even worth checking out. And when i went to download o.c, it turned out that all links to download are deleted, along with the site. Probably by Kevin himself.  :P So, any place at all i can still download it?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: May 21, 2019, 07:39:43 am »

I found 0.C after digging through github, not sure what system you use but this has a list of whats available.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/0.C

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:59 am »

Proper links, as i said, are gone, but there is a source code, so that's something. Now, whatever i must do with it?  :P
By the way, 7429 with some mods and tileset.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:13:51 am by MCreeper »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: May 21, 2019, 09:36:28 am »

Didn't realize that when I posted, looks like all the other old versions are gone as well, not sure where you could get them now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: May 21, 2019, 04:02:24 pm »

Well, thats strange and slightly worrying. You can get some of the older releases via github, but Im not sure what policy they have for curtailing number of releases.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: May 21, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »

So, from all this talky talk it looks like new version are not even worth checking out. And when i went to download o.c, it turned out that all links to download are deleted, along with the site. Probably by Kevin himself.  :P So, any place at all i can still download it?

0.D is well worth checking out

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: May 21, 2019, 08:18:14 pm »

Agree, 0.D stable is a pretty good release - there are mods/settings to disable most of the tedious things, there was serious effort to squash the known bugs, it's one of the last releases with LUA so those mods still work, and it's before the flurry of highly experimental changes that were unleashed after 0.D "stable" was out.  So it's a pretty good one to try out the things added since 0.C.  And a good base to then move on to the latest experimentals if that floats your boat, or wait for 0.E stable which is supposed to come out with much less of an interval than 0.C->0.D (ie probably late this year instead of multiple years away) if you like "stable" releases.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:47 pm »

All the old versions are still available through github and always will be, and probably circulate in various places on the internet. I don't really know why you'd play 0.C over 0.D, I've played it and it's really not as good.

0.E is trucking along quite fast. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit feature freeze in another month, the rate of contributions are frankly insane right now. Personally I've been busy with work and I'm getting worried I won't get features I wanted finished for 0.D finished by the time 0.E rolls out, it's crazy.

I haven't posted here in a bit, so some of the cool stuff lately:
-lakes! worldgen finally has lakes!
-boats push things out of the way instead of (hilariously) getting sunk by fish. Eventually we want fish to swim under them but this is at least a decent start while water is a single z-level. Boats are ready to mainline as soon as someone gets to it.
-NPCs are getting smarter about using their CBMs
-Minefields got a lot cooler
-Raised bed planters are a thing now
-Dirt, which you get from digging pits as of a few versions ago, is now useful to make earthenworks (along with sandbags) or rammed earth walls
-new factions (the RoboFac is starting, super excited about that)
-new mobs (robot nurses, friend or foe?)
-new vehicles (trains! City buses!)
-new maps and countless improvements to old ones

And that's just a surface scraping of the last two weeks of changelogs. It's been insane.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: May 22, 2019, 12:36:05 am »

All the old versions are still available through github and always will be, and probably circulate in various places on the internet. I don't really know why you'd play 0.C over 0.D, I've played it and it's really not as good.
Speed, mostly. The experimentals leading up to 0.D increased the duration of freezing when sleeping every couple of dozen updates until it was an intolerable 10 minutes of freezing if you had the gall to sleep for more than 4 hours at a time.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6404 on: May 22, 2019, 12:37:19 am »

... why would someone make a bot that makes hundreds of commits, as often as hourly, and tags every one of them separately (instead of using the commit hash ::))?
Basically makes the tag system pointless.

I'll let the reader decide what the intent was, but I know what I think of it isn't positive.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 451