Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787218 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6660 on: September 17, 2019, 06:51:10 am »

Frankly, the dino mod hasn't impressed me. So far I've seen nothing but Compsognathus, which appear in some basements and wildlife offices and don't fight at all unless you're weak.
Nothing important here, move along.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: September 17, 2019, 01:23:25 pm »

Frankly, the dino mod hasn't impressed me. So far I've seen nothing but Compsognathus, which appear in some basements and wildlife offices and don't fight at all unless you're weak.

Do you use any other mod which modifies vanilla monstergroups without using the override tag?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: September 17, 2019, 02:36:47 pm »

If i understand the dinomod files , said dinos will only appear in a building named "wildlife field office"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: September 22, 2019, 01:22:01 pm »

So, opinions on the Ninjutsu rebalance?

It's got a few more fringe benefits, but at the cost of a substantial nerf to raw sustained damage potential, at least how I'm reading it. Does not feel good. It was really strong for both dueling single tough targets and killing mobs of trash, but now you're pretty much required to try to play it by ducking in and out... with the issue being that even with the sound buffs most enemies have detection as good or better than you, unless you focused your entire build around avoiding notice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: September 22, 2019, 07:31:10 pm »

Going by whats been said they were trying to nerf down Martial Arts in general that were strong as far as I know. They really don't want you fighting without a weapon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: September 22, 2019, 08:15:11 pm »

They really don't want you fighting without a weapon.

[Laughs In Native 20 Strength + Wielded Pudding Cup]
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:57 pm »

If i understand the dinomod files , said dinos will only appear in a building named "wildlife field office"

I also checked the dinomod files and it looks like dinos are supposed to be be able to spawn in a lot more places than a wildlife field office.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:01 pm »

I also checked the dinomod files and it looks like dinos are supposed to be be able to spawn in a lot more places then just a wildlife field office.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: September 22, 2019, 10:48:55 pm »

Going by whats been said they were trying to nerf down Martial Arts in general that were strong as far as I know. They really don't want you fighting without a weapon.
I mean, half the point of taking Ninjutsu was fighting with a weapon, since you still got all the bonuses while using bladed weapons. It was pretty much the only hybrid martial art that worked both unarmed and armed. I'm still playing on my ninja maid character from one of the later 0.C builds, and my go-to for killing basically anything that doesn't have a gun is ninjutsu with a cavalry saber. Not exactly orthodox, but it works really well.

We all know that the real reason is to reduce player agency even further because you can't have people playing the game the wrong way, now can you?  ::)

3. Run Resize Enable

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:37 pm »

It's got a few more fringe benefits, but at the cost of a substantial nerf to raw sustained damage potential, at least how I'm reading it. Does not feel good. It was really strong for both dueling single tough targets and killing mobs of trash, but now you're pretty much required to try to play it by ducking in and out... with the issue being that even with the sound buffs most enemies have detection as good or better than you, unless you focused your entire build around avoiding notice.

cant find the reference for the changes in Github but just from reading what you posted i guess they rebalanced the art so its more closely to the idea of how it was used in the past. i mean, ninjas were assasins and spies so they were supposed to go in, bring down the target and get out. sustained damage doesnt make sense in that situation, you should have killed the target with a single attack and GTFO before being caught.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: September 23, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »

cant find the reference for the changes in Github but just from reading what you posted i guess they rebalanced the art so its more closely to the idea of how it was used in the past. i mean, ninjas were assasins and spies so they were supposed to go in, bring down the target and get out. sustained damage doesnt make sense in that situation, you should have killed the target with a single attack and GTFO before being caught.

"Sustained damage" in the sense of an innate crit chance and associated damage buffs to blades and blunt weapons. Which makes sense when parsed as exploiting weaknesses in protection and form, and that ninja traditionally were weapon-users.

Now there's a damage buff on the first attack and a damage debuff on all subsequent attacks, which makes less sense. Not to mention that I have zero confidence that the system can adequately track when you've disengaged and re-engaged. Worst case scenario is that you keep the damage debuff for as long as enemies are alerted, which instantly dumps Ninjutsu into garbage-tier.

This is doubly bad because Ninjutsu wasn't even a top-tier martial art, just passable. Muay Thai, Scorpion Style Kung Fu, Dragon Style Shaolin, Taekwondo and Krav Maga were all objectively better than it for anything other than using martial arts with a zero-range melee weapon.

3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: September 23, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »

I mean, half the point of taking Ninjutsu was fighting with a weapon, since you still got all the bonuses while using bladed weapons. It was pretty much the only hybrid martial art that worked both unarmed and armed. I'm still playing on my ninja maid character from one of the later 0.C builds, and my go-to for killing basically anything that doesn't have a gun is ninjutsu with a cavalry saber. Not exactly orthodox, but it works really well.

We all know that the real reason is to reduce player agency even further because you can't have people playing the game the wrong way, now can you?  ::)
I may have confused Ninjutsu with another Martial Art by mistake. I tend to nab whatever first MA I can find and keep to it even if it's borderline useless at times.  :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: September 23, 2019, 06:49:42 pm »

I may have confused Ninjutsu with another Martial Art by mistake. I tend to nab whatever first MA I can find and keep to it even if it's borderline useless at times.  :D

Ninjutsu's one of those ones that can work really well but which you shouldn't take as a starting style unless you're confident that you can survive without it, since it's fairly anemic and both maneuvers (the block especially) unlock at level 3, so you don't get much to work with on a new character. Once you get those skill levels and a good weapon, though, it was very good... for that specific playstyle. Dragon Style Shaolin is pretty similar except with fist weapons, it gets lv2 block, and it's better at dealing with grapples.

If you want something that's just all-around overpowered, take Krav Maga.

3. Run Resize Enable

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:32 pm »

They really don't want you fighting without a weapon.

[Laughs In Native 20 Strength + Wielded Pudding Cup]
There was an unarmed damage nerf capping fist-only damage a while back, so even if the item has 0 damage it still does more damage than your fists. Bashing things with sponges and the like at 20 strength does about 5-10 more damage on average than your fists unless you trigger one of the myriad unarmed techniques/buffs.

On a separate note, the nutrient/hunger change from a while back seems to have messed with some of the secondary effects for metabolic mutations. Hypermetabolism doesn't prevent vomiting anymore, for instance.

Also, checking out the default tileset, the new leaf/rosebud mutations from the plant/fey line are still missing visually so gaining them makes you look less mutated. Must be because they aren't on the wiki for easy viewing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: September 24, 2019, 03:17:53 am »

As I've played I've often gravitated towards using fast strike weapons like a baton if I can find one early in the game, it seems to work fairly well fairly quickly. I've seen that Rapid Bop Action martial art is in the game but never pursued it, is it any good?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 451