Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 794180 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6675 on: September 24, 2019, 05:11:23 am »

There was an unarmed damage nerf capping fist-only damage a while back, so even if the item has 0 damage it still does more damage than your fists.

What. Even if you're pushing 30+ strength? That's a fun new level of bullshit. Sure, I'd expect that a 30-strength mutant cyborg would hit harder with a sledgehammer than his bare hands, but how severe is the cap? If it means that a 30-plus-strength mutant cyborg can't out-punch a straight-8s shelter baby, then the damage cap is too severe.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: September 24, 2019, 05:42:02 am »

Apparently they found one tile from a minecraft mod in the DeadPeople, MShock and Chesthole tilesets, and instead of getting rid of the affected tile they trashed the whole lot of them.

Link
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: September 24, 2019, 05:47:32 am »

There was an unarmed damage nerf capping fist-only damage a while back, so even if the item has 0 damage it still does more damage than your fists.

What. Even if you're pushing 30+ strength? That's a fun new level of bullshit. Sure, I'd expect that a 30-strength mutant cyborg would hit harder with a sledgehammer than his bare hands, but how severe is the cap? If it means that a 30-plus-strength mutant cyborg can't out-punch a straight-8s shelter baby, then the damage cap is too severe.
It seems I misremembered the actual nerf. The cap does still exist though, and seems to be set to a slightly lower multiplier than the armed non-crit bashing damage cap of 2X strength, so higher strength does still makes a difference.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: September 24, 2019, 11:18:28 am »

Apparently they found one tile from a minecraft mod in the DeadPeople, MShock and Chesthole tilesets, and instead of getting rid of the affected tile they trashed the whole lot of them.

Link

Worse, around the same time SDG quit entirely and took his repo with him.

I'm maintaining a backup here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/Cata-MSX-DeadPeopleTileset-Backup
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:20 pm »

In the era of licensing/suing we're living in, it's understandable the cdda devs don't want to take risk anymore as while there was 1 identified tile coming from someone else reported, there were a lot of them tiles that are of unknown sources and could lead into trouble.

Out of looking very nice (good you're preserving it), one of the great thing of SomeDeadGuy tileset was that he regularly updated with all the new additions cdda got with time, something most of the other available (at the time) tilesets didn't do (as most were abandonned with time even if they were still left in the game so there were a bunch of missing stuff when you tried to use them).

So as i have not followed much of development recently, is there a tileset left in the game after the purge that is kept up to date ?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: September 24, 2019, 01:02:26 pm »

So as i have not followed much of development recently, is there a tileset left in the game after the purge that is kept up to date ?

The default is now Retrodays, which has been getting some intermittent updates by people on the project. It's...retro. I'm not as familiar with it but it's still a good set. At least it's not Chesthole's deformed chibis, missing tiles, and wildly inconsistent sense of perspective.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: September 24, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »

Retrodays was the tileset i used a few years ago, it has some very good old school 8bits gaming feel to it.
Nice to learn that it has been updated at least.

But it's going to be hard to get back to it after having been used to the DeadPeople tileset :)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: September 24, 2019, 01:45:54 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit disorienting. More pleasing to the eye than CDDA's handling of ASCII, but still.

Also, I'm maintaining an issue as well, for reporting and tracking all sprites known or suspected to be stolen, in the hopes of eventually unfucking this mess: https://github.com/chaosvolt/Cata-MSX-DeadPeopleTileset-Backup/issues/1
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: September 24, 2019, 03:27:39 pm »

It would be amazing to be able to identify all the tiles that are violating a license so people with artist skill could possibly create replacement for them with a "libre" license like CC0 to avoid future mess.
Hopefully there aren't too many of them, though with people just taking picture "from the internet" to make theirs, identifying everything could be hell.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:32:31 pm by Robsoie »

dpwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: September 25, 2019, 04:01:06 am »

Link

Worse, around the same time SDG quit entirely and took his repo with him.

I'm maintaining a backup here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/Cata-MSX-DeadPeopleTileset-Backup

SDG left for unrelated reasons, he was having some drama with some russian 4chan-type place apparently.
There are strong suspicions of a high-degree of confidence that at least a *lot* more of the tiles from that era were "borrowed" from other places, with no attribution or mention or knowledge of their license.

So instead of this being another excuse to bash the devs, I'm sure you can understand in this day and age why a project would take these steps - you cannot mess around with this stuff nowadays.
 This dosnt stop people using the tileset btw it just dosnt bundle it with the main repo anymore.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: September 25, 2019, 08:36:50 am »

I'm pretty sure none bashed the devs for that, there are enough example of projects having been taken down because of licensing issue.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: September 25, 2019, 09:09:11 pm »

Yeah, no -- take it from me, there are a lot of reasons to bash Kevin and his muh realizuhm cohort, but avoiding issues with lifted assets certainly isn't among them.

By my recollection it was more that Cataclysm originally had damage tweaks to help keep unarmed melee in the same ballpark damage-wise as armed melee. Kevin eventually found out and promptly went "THIS PART OF THIS POST-APOC CYBERPUNK RPG R NOT REALISTIC GOODBYE GAMEPLAY STYLE". Y'know, instead of tuning it down a bit, or coming up with an alternative implementation that made more sense.

Thankfully it was well after the build I still run on. But yeah, if you want to do basically anything except die horribly over and over trying to unfreeze food, wash clothes, or get basic levels in core skills, you're better off on an older build, since martial arts, guns, vehicles, and to a certain extent innawoods stuff has all been trashed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: October 02, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »

The default is now Retrodays, which has been getting some intermittent updates by people on the project. It's...retro. I'm not as familiar with it but it's still a good set. At least it's not Chesthole's deformed chibis, missing tiles, and wildly inconsistent sense of perspective.

Retrodays is the default now? Sweet! I love the Retrodays tileset. It's retro and very readable, and I like it better than ASCII.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: October 11, 2019, 11:44:49 am »

With all the fun around tilesets, I've resumed work on the Ultica tileset I started back in March. An early playable version may be getting PR'd into the main game soon, although it's still missing a majority of tiles.

If anyone is keen on contributing some simple graphics, the github is here: https://github.com/I-am-Erk/CDDA-Tilesets
And the discord discussion is here: https://discord.gg/kAXNZuy

'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: October 12, 2019, 03:30:45 am »

The meat pull is back. Seems to have Kevin's approval this time since he could stroke his ego through having direct input.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 451