Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 787240 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6735 on: October 15, 2019, 03:42:49 pm »

Well that's great, I was successfully avoiding replying to the idiocy here and someone compromised my account and made that bizarre post. I know people are going to be sceptical of that, maybe the forum owners can confirm that post came from an ip address that I don't use.
I'll believe this, since it seems more likely than someone who would sincerely use a phrase like "you are banished from CDDA" also having the self-awareness to backpedal.
Remember to use strong passwords, kids.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: October 15, 2019, 04:21:45 pm »

Well that's great, I was successfully avoiding replying to the idiocy here and someone compromised my account and made that bizarre post. I know people are going to be sceptical of that, maybe the forum owners can confirm that post came from an ip address that I don't use.
I'll believe this, since it seems more likely than someone who would sincerely use a phrase like "you are banished from CDDA" also having the self-awareness to backpedal.
Remember to use strong passwords, kids.

Joke's on you, my password is literally strong_password.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: October 15, 2019, 04:36:52 pm »

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: October 15, 2019, 04:40:32 pm »

Damn, the entertainment value of this thread just went up further than I thought it could go, seeing as there is some limit to how acrimonious arguments generally get on Bay12.

Also: "you're banished"? The phrasing of that entire post is fucking hilarious.

It does seem a bit of a stretch, but I'm going to go with the "wait and get proof of whether that was Kevin's IP or not" people, since as already noted I'm not personally involved in this conflict - and I know I apologized for using revolution/conflict language, but it's definitely a conflict now - and thus don't have much experience as to Kevin's mannerisms. Though this also means that unlike Erk I have no attachment/loyalty to Kevin. (I can appreciate your value of loyalty, Erk, even if it turns out Kevin did write that post.)

Again: this is all hilarious.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: October 15, 2019, 04:41:01 pm »

How does one see their own IP here?

It's in the lower right corner of your own posts.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: October 15, 2019, 04:42:51 pm »

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

That's...pretty sig-worthy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: October 15, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »

There is an easier way to see whether Kevin was hacked or just went on an immature tantrum and wants to deny it. The post said we/y'all are "banished." Well, then, submit some changes to the repo, making it clear you're one of the people from this thread, and see if he regards your changes normally or continues to call you "banished" there.

FWI, Kevin, if you did post that post, and we confirm it, any respect for you/skepticism of the dissenters I had is out the window, because I can't think of any way the post could have been more childish.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: October 15, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »

It would be so trivial to post the comment's listed IP that I'm taking that as evidence that the claim is false. The only valid reason you wouldn't post the IP is that you'd be compared to post your native IP as proof too, but this is not truly required.

Thing is, you can enter an IP into sites to determine where the IP came from. That Kevin's github profile says he's in Seattle is publicly-available information, so if the "hacker's" IP says it comes from outside Washington then it would confirm this claim without him needing to dox himself.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: October 15, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »

It would be so trivial to post the comment's listed IP that I'm taking that as evidence that the claim is false. The only valid reason you wouldn't post the IP is that you'd be compared to post your native IP as proof too, but this is not truly required.

Thing is, you can enter an IP into sites to determine where the IP came from. That Kevin's github profile says he's in Seattle is publicly-available information, so if the "hacker's" IP says it comes from outside Washington then it would confirm this claim without him needing to dox himself.

I highly doubt he cares enough to try to prove anything; he only knew about the post because dpwb and I were surprised to see him posting here at all. Pretty sure he's leaving it up to toady/threetoe to decide if they want to do anything about it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: October 15, 2019, 05:28:07 pm »

RandomDragon speaks true. Kevin, this is your chance to provide compelling (not definite, since he could just grab some real, random, non-Seattle IP and claim it was the one on the post) evidence that you are speaking in good faith; if you posted that outburst yourself, your claim to be hacked would be a lie, and you would have thus betrayed the fundamental assumption of communication: that the other parties can trust you to not deceive. If you lied, we will have no obligation to consider your words any longer. Not that we had a technically binding obligation before, but unless you are proved a liar it would simply be the decent thing for us to give your claim of being hacked some consideration (no matter how slight) since it is currently possible, though various forumers differ on how likely.

TLDR; if you were hacked, you have room to defend yourself rationally against these other accusations; if you weren't, you're a liar, a sophist, and acting in bad faith, and we can ignore you as much as we want.

Oh, and we need Erk's side of the matter; he hasn't had much of a chance to give us his 2 cents.

I highly doubt he cares enough to try to prove anything; he only knew about the post because dpwb and I were surprised to see him posting here at all. Pretty sure he's leaving it up to toady/threetoe to decide if they want to do anything about it.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying Kevin didn't post here, as he told you he didn't know about the Angry Outburst Post? Evidence in Kevin's favor, then.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: October 15, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »

my side of the argument is that kevin wasn't active in any of the cdda communities when the post came out at 2:30 am his time, and when he came on at a reasonable time in our timezone seemed pretty surprised to see it. Given that personally IDGAF if people believe he wrote it or not (seems pretty weird to come back just to disavow it and then leave again otherwise, since that is in direct opposition to the angry spirit of the post, but ok) and Kevin has been demonstrated to G several fewer F's about this thread than I do, I don't think you'll get much more of an answer than that from anyone but threetoe or toady, to whom the post has already been reported as a probable account violation.

If Kevin actually did post it and is trolling y'all, well, it would be extremely out of character for him to suddenly recant like that. If he was really that mad, he'd be stubborn as usual and sticking to his guns as posted in the rant.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: October 15, 2019, 05:40:40 pm »

In that case, we have: reasonable arguments from Erk that (a) Kevin didn't post it and (b) he's not going to care enough to try to refute it. Therefore, the only thing we can do about The Post is wait for Toady to do his thing.

Let us return to our regularly scheduled discussion of the game itself.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: October 15, 2019, 05:43:40 pm »

2:30 am his time

Correction: 2:30 AM for GMT-6, WA would be GMT-7 (so 1:30 AM).

Regardless yeah, this seems...unusual. I mean it WOULD be logical if one was not exactly in one's normal mindset, I know I've said stupid shit while riled up, more rarely while not 100% sober, etc. The difference would be I wouldn't claim I didn't say it. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: October 15, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »

Regardless yeah, this seems...unusual. I mean it WOULD be logical if one was not exactly in one's normal mindset, I know I've said stupid shit while riled up, more rarely while not 100% sober, etc. The difference would be I wouldn't claim I didn't say it. :/
You of all people should know that Kevin isn't typically quick to back down if he says something out of frustration.
Anyway, not sure why I'm continuing to talk about this.

Of more interest, I have been experimenting with ways to render cars in game. It's a challenging thing since our cars look incredibly ridiculous, but I have hit on a few ideas that might hold up. If I can get them worked out, I'll have a beta version of the tileset merged shortly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:00:18 pm by Erk »
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451