Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Watcher  (Read 2279 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Watcher
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:01:06 am »

It was well after 11:00 pm - another adventurer game in another hastily generated world. However, this time I decided to play in a way every one of us has played at least once - depopulate the world, scoring as many kills as possible. And so Cusith Letogulgut "Boatmurdered" has come! A human adventurer  opposed to all life and bent on mayhem!

By the time he was well in 250+ notable kills, my adventurer stumbled across a pyramid in the midst of nowhere. Without any hesitation, I picked the lock, hoping for some masterwork loot.

I usually don't bother reading the slabs near the entrance (ones that contain lame warnings to wannabe tomb raiders), but this time I read it for some reason.
What surprised me was that the slab was written in first person, unlike the ususal "Human McDeadguy is watching still". Instead, the slab read "Woe to you,that disturbs my resting place.I am watching still". I didn't consider it much.

However, what happened after was kinda strange. In one of the rooms, a strange glitch appeared. I tried to save the screenshot, but it wouldnt come on the image, so I had to photograph the screen:

http://postimg.org/image/6nvucsogl/

It looked like an ASCII dwarf face, similar to the dwarf that you see getting killed in the intro movie. Curious, I went in the room with the "face" only to find it empty. It was stuffed with generous ammount of traps though.

http://postimg.org/image/uhp9bbxs7/

When I went back to see the face again, it was no longer there. I searched the piramid, but all the rooms were empty.

Afterwards, the face appeared multiple times in human fortresses, towers, e.t.c. when using "L" look command and looking up. It wouldn't appear on screens however, so that photo is the only way to show it.

Did anyone else have this strange glitch?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:03:35 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Watcher
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:53 am »

What software do you screenshot with, and nice touch with it popping up for you after the first person slab.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:59 am »

Guess you just got cursed.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:46 am »

What software do you screenshot with, and nice touch with it popping up for you after the first person slab.

Print screen button.  That's it.

BTW I've revisited the room, but still cannot find whatever columns/tiles/whatever were composing the "face". It disappeared after i discovered all the traps in a room. To give a better visual:

the room (side view)
|_^^^^^^^_|

| = wall
_=ceiling/floor
o = the face
^=trap-linen floor

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:42:14 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:57 am »

Hmmm, I'm on linux and it freezes the screen state when I pull up the screenshot program is why I ask, wasn't sure if it was something weird that makes it go away when you try. If there is an option to select a part of the screen when you take a grab try using that, it's what I do for df screens.

Btw, it looks kinda like the effect you get from having part of your view obscured so you could see the two side columns but not the middle part.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:10 am »

Hmmm, I'm on linux and it freezes the screen state when I pull up the screenshot program is why I ask, wasn't sure if it was something weird that makes it go away when you try. If there is an option to select a part of the screen when you take a grab try using that, it's what I do for df screens.

Btw, it looks kinda like the effect you get from having part of your view obscured so you could see the two side columns but not the middle part.
/.
It does, but the room is completely devout of any columns, as I mentioned before. The only buildings in it were traps (on image 2). I used FRAPS to make screenshot of now empty room, and the face appeared again, but now on the screenshot only!

http://postimg.org/image/tuxlqsdt7/

Damn that game is strange.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:08:16 am »

Do mummy curses actualy do anything?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:20 am »

Do mummy curses actualy do anything?
Oh yeah. Unless they were changed they pretty much ruin any chance of your adventurer surviving longer fights as they make you miss almost every attack for some time every now and then. They might also decrease your other combat skills for that time, making you an easier target and so on, but I'm not sure about that, been some time since I last messed with a mummy. The curse being permanent and causing the adventurer to miss so much and all was enough for me to never get close to a tomb again.
Though being a creature of the night you might find some funny interaction there. If it hasn't changed.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:48:52 am »

I think it's like -40% hit rate and a speed decrease or something. I don't mess with mummies unless I'm already a necro or vamp, just use advfort and deconstruct part of the vault to drop it on their coffin, or as I call it, OPERATION: MUMMYHAMMER!

That does look like an easter egg... but who knows, pregenereated easter eggs anyone?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »

That is quite strange. You said you've since seen it in other places? Where, and was the face more complete or was it still just the upper half? If this isn't intentional, it should be. It'd be so cool if curses could do weird things like this where strange things keep happening, maybe even remove the to hit decrease, but turn up the crazy stuff. It seems fitting having an adventurer seemingly go insane and start seeing things after raiding a tomb.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »

That is quite strange. You said you've since seen it in other places? Where, and was the face more complete or was it still just the upper half? If this isn't intentional, it should be. It'd be so cool if curses could do weird things like this where strange things keep happening, maybe even remove the to hit decrease, but turn up the crazy stuff. It seems fitting having an adventurer seemingly go insane and start seeing things after raiding a tomb.

Just the upper half. Sometimes it would turn out distorted, but still, recognizable.

Revisited the tomb, and the watcher is still there. I can upload the save, If anyone wants to see for themselves.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:19 pm »

Just the upper half. Sometimes it would turn out distorted, but still, recognizable.

Revisited the tomb, and the watcher is still there. I can upload the save, If anyone wants to see for themselves.
Definitely upload the save. I'm starting to wonder if Toady puts in things to the game that have a less than 0.01% chance of happening when generating a new world because I've seen some similar crazy things happen that nobody else has repeated. Like a friend of mine had a world where there were huge cracks in the earth all over the place which reached all the way down to hell with demons and lava flying out of them, and there's also that thread about a huge spire of raw adamantine that went up thousands of z levels. While this isn't anywhere near the level of those things, entering a tomb with a warning that they're still watching and seeing the top half of a dwarven face with the eyes being the only visible thing apart from the outline all over the place seems like a pretty big coincidence to not be intentional.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:52 am »

"I'm watching you."
'Oh... uh... k, I'm just gonna be running away screaming to find a nice dark corner to curl up in and cry.'

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:02 am »

"I'm watching you."
'Oh... uh... k, I'm just gonna be running away screaming to find a nice dark corner to curl up in and cry.'

Link to the save file: https://mega.co.nz/#!Ns0BWIxS!NlLYoCdu7XesLcEYV5lLJi5DD94tluNgekcYTE3zHEc
See for yourself. MAYDAY's graphics pack is recommended.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:53:40 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:10:18 am »

Im on linux and have never been cursed so cant really help except speculate that its a lie or a haunted pyramid.
Delete the world and get your computer blessed by a wizard of sorts

I'm starting to wonder if Toady puts in things to the game that have a less than 0.01% chance of happening

I would, all day long, I would have made many and continued adding more each update.
Perhaps building a faux story with it.
Either way I have never seen anything quite amazing except a disc of adamantine

Adventurer edit:
I would even put in a chance to get a weird adventurer perk. Like super obesity or faster stat gain. Luck rolls and all that nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:59:10 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.