Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Subnautica..  (Read 14625 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Subnautica..
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 06:37:43 pm »

A single knife attack will drive off most predators. It's easy enough to kite stalkers with enough practice. Definitely do not try to kite Ampeels and Crabsquids though.

Catching fish is best done at night, when most prey animals are much slower to react. Catching fish during the day is much harder, but possible with ultra-glide fins; just be sure to holster your held item to boost your speed.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »

You can turn the lights off on them?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 07:44:37 pm »

The gravity ball thing that unlocks quite early will just suck fish to it, later there is a half life 2 gravity gun which makes it even easier.
There is also a volcanic vent close to the surface in safe water that provides a source of pre cooked fish, later patches have made it harder to approach safely though so your mmv.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »

For anyone who happens to stumble across this and not have it, it's absolutely awesome. I really, really dislike crafting games as a general rule and had to be persuaded into getting this, but this rocks. You never feel as though you're 'safe' or so strong that nothing'll get you like in most crafting games, which helps it always feel exciting. The survival aspects aren't a chore and feel meaningful enough.

The scale and the amount of exploration is just incredible - I was completely blown away by the sheer size of stuff, and I'm a pretty seasoned gamer. Case in point, I just unlocked the Cyclops, and I have to say, it's been one of my best gaming moments in recent memory.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend. It's pretty poorly optimised unfortunately, and there are some nasty bugs (DO NOT USE INFLATABLE STORAGE BOXES) but very playable.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:47 pm »

Kind of sucks that even if you get off the planet... you will immediately be put into permanent debt forever and have to be on the streets eating rats for sustenance.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:09 pm »

From what I've seen of the writing, an automated announcement stating that "We believe you may be responsible for damages to corporate property of approximately $2.147E15 neodollars, which will be deducted from your next paycheck," would fit right in.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »

From what I've seen of the writing, an automated announcement stating that "We believe you may be responsible for damages to corporate property of approximately $2.147E15 neodollars, which will be deducted from your next paycheck," would fit right in.

Given they charge you for the diamonds you use...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:24 pm »

It's a rather baseless, pointless extrapolation, wouldn't you agree?
Neon is good at those.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 05:21:19 am »

RE: Not feeling safe- I played three or four updates ago, and maybe I never got into the dangerous critters, but 'unsafe' was not a feeling I felt all that often. Nothing hit all that hard, oxygen's easy enough to manage if you're cognizant of it, and the food/water treadmill plateaus pretty quick. I'unno. I absolutely adore the game for its atmosphere, it's beautiful and really fun, but 'in danger' is not something I felt frequently.

Whilst I wouldn't say I feel in a dark souls level of danger, I've certainly felt unsafe - reapers are pretty much instant death if you're swimming, and you can quickly get mobbed by other creatures.

I think it's just that with most games of this kind you reach a point where you're basically untouchable, whereas in subnautica it doesn't matter what you're wearing or carrying - a reaper attack or getting lost in a cave will still get you regardless.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:01 am »

When you first pick up a diamond, it tells you that every resource you use is actually costing you money, as Alterra owns the planet.

So yeah, you're gonna be in deep, deep debt.
Assuming alterra actually exists by the time we leave. They may have gone bankrupt by then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 12:43:53 am »

All the more reason to not bother getting off the planet and instead survive in the lap of luxury for the rest of your life in your thermal and nuclear powered undersea mansion, with a sweeping view of the grand reef and sea treader's path. and all the melons potatoes fruit and peepers you could ever eat.

For entertainment you can go on joyrides in your own personal fleet of submarines and ram bonesharks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 05:40:13 am »

This had its 1.0 release. I wish I hadn't played it so much previously as I was pretty much able to smash my way through it. I did enjoy it though. Some resources have been moved around or renamed since the last time I played, and some bits of the map feel as though they are different. It's a good game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 08:00:44 am »

I haven't played this since 1.0, due to my computer no longer having an audio output, but I have been checking out the Steam forum and seen what people have talked about.

Seems the game still has the atrocious terrain pop-in (both of the purely graphical variety, and also of the impaling-your-Seamoth-on-a-wreck-that-wasn't-there-a-second-ago variety), reapers still occasionally venture into the safe shallows, and the Cyclops even has a new bug that drains its battery to 0% when left alone with the lights and engine turned off.

Torpedoes are still a complete waste of resources (although slightly fewer resources now that the recipe has been changed), the stasis rifle and knife can still kill everything in the game without resistance except for warpers, who are still by far the deadliest and most irritating creatures to inhabit planet 4546B. Reefbacks are still completely blind and will crash into base structures if you build them in the wrong place.

Sea Treaders have been tweaked a bit, so the rocks they uncover now drop gold, lithium and diamonds. Treaders used to be an infinite source of copper, but that's no longer the case. Jury is still out on whether or not reefback barnacles respawn, but it at least looks somewhat promising. Other resources are still not intended to respawn, and it's still a bug that they sometimes do.

There's still no reason to plant anything other than marblemelons, especially now that bulbo samples had their water content nerfed to hell and back. Blood oil and benzene both still have no value in the bioreactor, and you'll pretty much never need more than 9 blood oil samples. 12 if you want two grapple arms instead of just the one. Mesmer eggs have been officially implemented! Reefback eggs have not.

Predators are still just as wacky as they've always been, you still occasionally fall into the nothingness beneath the world, and you can still complete the game while avoiding getting infected by the bacterium if you know what you're doing.

Game's even prettier than it used to be before, and it's still got that deliciously good environment design and ambience. Just... Don't play hardcore, don't expect realistic animal behavior from anything, and whatever you do don't mention co-op multiplayer on the forum.

EDIT: Also, fair warning, the game does not autosave at any point. Remember to manually save the game frequently.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 08:29:56 am »

It autosaves whenever you enter one of your bases.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 08:56:29 am »

It autosaves whenever you enter one of your bases.

Nope! It sets your respawn checkpoint whenever you enter one of your bases, Cyclops or the lifepod. However, the game does not actually save. So if you enter a base and the game suddenly crashes, you suffer a power outage or something else happens that causes the program to close without having manually saved, you will load in to whenever you last made a manual save.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6