Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb adventurer looking for action!  (Read 873 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb adventurer looking for action!
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:59:25 am »

Hi all. Very fresh adventurer here, although I'm pretty familiar with fortress mode.

His name is Datan Libashusân (Iron Axemurder!). He started out in a hillocks, which was troubled by criminals, so he went to check out their site. Turns out it's a well defended keep full of both dwarves and elves, with many shops nearby, so Datan thought better of attacking it. He did, however, pilfer a full set of iron armor from one of their depots, which somehow did not cause everyone to want him dead. It did not have the $ symbol on it, so as far as I know it was just lying around for the taking.

Anyhow, Datan recruited a brave spearelf with a masterfully useless wooden spear, and they're now about to search a nearby tomb for riches and glory. He's got endless amounts of food, a steel axe and a good shield and armor, and the elf keeps the bogeymen away. Datan can handle weapon traps, although I suspect they'll bisect the elf if he steps in one, and he's a pretty decent fighter (Competent axedwarf and dodger, adequate armor and shield user).

But I'm wondering, is there something really Fun inside the tomb, or can it be plundered with relative safety? I'm trying to stay away from the wiki as much as possible, apart from general game mechanics and controls, but I'd rather not discover I have to fight a horde of zombies or a super-powerful ghost or something. Any thoughts, or suggestions to more preferable adventuring locations?

EDIT:
O SHIT...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:04:45 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newb adventurer looking for action!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:18:12 pm »

Tombs are loaded with FUN! Even if you survive the resident probably have you a little present that will make the rest of your adventure really short and brutal.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Newb adventurer looking for action!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

Oh shit indeed, bad news though, if you saw the "you feel terrible" message you are done, even if you survived you will suffer crap hit rate and skill success rate and such, forget if it slows your movement down as well. Avoid the coffins or use advfort to deconstruct part of the roof and drop it on them bandage-wrapped bastarted.